I commend you deep silver diggers-8" plus isnt easy!

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been detecting almost 5 months now with an xterra 705 Gold package. Ive found some gold jewelry,I decided it was time to find some silver, I drove to a town away from my pounded city with a metal detecting club that has 30 plus or minus members who hunt a park every sunday, in hopes my NEW 10" DD 7.5Kh coil would give me the depth I needed. I got down 6-8" on some repeatable targets in the year range of 70.

Deciding traveling to learn a new skill wasn't the right way I put my stock coil back on and went about my day. Nothing great was found but when you go deep your pin pointer and digging tool better work well. I am a "skimmer" and have been rewarded, but Im trying to make that transition now to go deeeeper! Ive switched up some tools, added some coils and we shall see how it goes but to those of you constantly digging 10" plus, good job!

I think Im gonna burry some silver coins at 10" and see how the sound and ID.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Constantly? You give em too much credit!

Ive yet to find my first silver coin, 11 gold rings, no silver coins. Rings aren't anything special, for perspective, a 5.5 gram 14k pendant I found is the heaviest. I feel Im in for a whole new learning curve. New coils, sounds, locations, soil etc. I don't even know what a Silver quarter at 6" will ID at lol. If any of you coin shooters use an xterra 705 with success please PM me, Id love to ask some questions. I see the CTX3030 getting lots of silver but I can buy a nice commuter Honda Civic for that money lol.

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive yet to find my first silver coin, 11 gold rings, no silver coins. Rings aren't anything special, for perspective, a 5.5 gram 14k pendant I found is the heaviest. I feel Im in for a whole new learning curve. New coils, sounds, locations, soil etc. I don't even know what a Silver quarter at 6" will ID at lol. If any of you coin shooters use an xterra 705 with success please PM me, Id love to ask some questions. I see the CTX3030 getting lots of silver but I can buy a nice commuter Honda Civic for that money lol.

My silver finds increased dramatically when I got my eTrac. Especially the deep ones.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been detecting almost 5 months now with an xterra 705 Gold package. Ive found some gold jewelry,I decided it was time to find some silver, I drove to a town away from my pounded city with a metal detecting club that has 30 plus or minus members who hunt a park every sunday, in hopes my NEW 10" DD 7.5Kh coil would give me the depth I needed. I got down 6-8" on some repeatable targets in the year range of 70.

Deciding traveling to learn a new skill wasn't the right way I put my stock coil back on and went about my day. Nothing great was found but when you go deep your pin pointer and digging tool better work well. I am a "skimmer" and have been rewarded, but Im trying to make that transition now to go deeeeper! Ive switched up some tools, added some coils and we shall see how it goes but to those of you constantly digging 10" plus, good job!

I think Im gonna burry some silver coins at 10" and see how the sound and ID.
A freshly buried silver coin down 10" would probably "disappear" and not be detected with most machines. I don't know your particular hunt areas, but, around here, it's very rare if you need to dig down 10" in a park or school. Most of the time you just need a smaller coil to work around the junky areas to snipe out one that has been missed.

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally dont dig anything less than a foot deep, even then I stick to digging only gold coins. Silver is for saps.

Are you saying you are getting 12" depth with your AT Pro or do you have another machine not listed?

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah sure i 'constantly' dig coins at the 10" or greater mark when I'm not working this bulldozer to remove the B.S. some of these people expect us to believe. *L*
I have dug very deep coins in the woods and in corn fields among other places. But you need old coins to be that deep unless soil has been disturbed in some way.
And you need a machine that will detect that deep - that's just a fact of MD'ing.
Cat_416b.jpg

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A freshly buried silver coin down 10" would probably "disappear" and not be detected with most machines. I don't know your particular hunt areas, but, around here, it's very rare if you need to dig down 10" in a park or school. Most of the time you just need a smaller coil to work around the junky areas to snipe out one that has been missed.

Yep...I recently found a silver 1913 Canadian nickel in a trashy park at 5".

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best advise would be to slow down..and also.. Use your eyes to locate areas old coins would be closer to the surface.. Like areas that have been eroded by wind and rain or if in a park environment... areas that have not been landscaped .. new fill or sod laid on top.
And above all research to give yourself the best probability by going to places that had a lot of foot traffic back when

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread