SW Rock

Jul 23, 2014
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Treasurenet!

I am new to treasurenet.com and new to the metal detecting hobby. I am currently in Colorado and I really want to metal detect areas near me. My question is, how should I request permission from a property owner? I'm pretty sure it needs to be written on paper. What should I include in this request on paper? Has anyone here also attempted to get permission from local or state agencies? If so, What did your letter or request state?

As you can see, I have no idea upon where to start. I just want to start this new hobby in the right direction with no trouble from land owners or authorities. Thanks again for your time and I am very interested to see everyones replies.

~Stephen

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, I would never ask anyone who thinks they are in charge of government land. Look up the rules yourself. Otherwise you will be subject to whatever whims the official may have or political agenda at the time. I find a verbal agreement with a private land owner (or tenant) is the best way to go. Sometimes having them sign a paper gives them pause and in some cases, they have second thoughts and deny you permission. No point in scaring them off before you start! There are several threads here on Tnet that deal with asking permission, what to say, and how to look, so I won't get long winded in that area. Welcome to Tnet by the way!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
As mark says: verbal is best for private property owners. I mean .... think of it: what's the fastest way to conjur up some sort of legal hassles? To put a contract to sign in front of a perfect stranger. I can't think of a faster way to get a "no".

And as for public land, you don't need to ask permission of anyone. If it's not prohibited (a rule or law saying "no metal detectors"), then what's there to ask permission for ? I mean, would you ask permission to fly a frisbee or skip stones on the pond ? If you're skittish that there may be a rule or law saying such a thing, at whatever public site you have in mind, you can always look up rules/laws for yourself. Usually available on line, for instance.

Just use common sense. I mean, don't go waltzing through an archie convention, traipsing over beach-blankets, at obvious historic sensitive sites. Don't be in the middle of deep retrievals when busy-bodies are watching, etc...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread