Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you care what other people think then treasure hunting is not for you.

We as a hobby have a lot of problems: archies, increasing regulations and outright bans, bad PR from inconsiderate hobbyists that don't fill holes, and shows like King George, all reflect negatively on detecting.

Every day we're out, we are ambassadors for detecting and our ability to continue depends on our behavior and what other people think.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I think part of the downturn in image is generated by some of the archies. I have seen articles where they accuse us of stealing history.
I was working a beach in DE where historical items were dredged up on the beach. I ran into an archie. He was using a metal detector. He asked me not to tell the museum he worked for because they did not approve of them. He was a nice guy so I worked with him and we found a few items. I wish there were more like him.
Frank...-
five star.png
Note: DE is one of the few FINDERS/KEEPERS states left. You can legally keep what you find.

Last edited:

Kenny Lee

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it's always been looked down on by jealous people !

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it's always been looked down on by jealous people !
That has remained constant through the years. It's the perception that we're cutting into the archie's rice bowl that has them more against us now than ever. They see us as the enemy instead of a valuable tool they could use. The sheer volume of new inexperienced detectorists using poor recovery techniques is also a big factor.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was reading one of my treasure advice books and it said years ago metal detecting was held in high regard as other hobbies but over time people started looking down on it. Do you believe this true and if so why?

If so its by people who still think like a teenager and look at what "they" perceive as "Cool" which means jack squat to me as long as they don't inform me as to their ignorance,i.e down me..But to the people that dig and leave trash and holes well that hurts us politically.Heck i even cover my hole out in the woods,just habit..

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If so its by people who still think like a teenager and look at what "they" perceive as "Cool" which means jack squat to me as long as they don't inform me as to their ignorance,i.e down me..But to the people that dig and leave trash and holes well that hurts us politically.Heck i even cover my hole out in the woods,just habit..

There's more people out in the woods than most would think. Surveyors, foresters, land owners, hunters, timber cruisers, loggers, hunters, bird watchers, hikers, geo cachers.

All one of them has to do is turn his ankle and blame a MDer. A hole in the woods is there for a long time. Thanks for filling them.

Last edited:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
People who look down at metal detecting probably look down at a lot of things. Not my problem.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it is. It's all our problem if we wish to continue detecting. We have to be responsible and present a positive attitude or we'll get "complained" into oblivion. We need to try and change those negative perceptions by our positive actions.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it is. It's all our problem if we wish to continue detecting. We have to be responsible and present a positive attitude or we'll get "complained" into oblivion. We need to try and change those negative perceptions by our positive actions.

Each one of us is part of the solution or we're part of the problem.

All one needs to do is browse the pages on TNet to see the situation.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like others have said..... Do not care. If you truly want to find a truly miserable person, find the one that obsesses over what others think of them. Try to be a good person, give better than you get, enjoy life, and don't be afraid to say kiss my .... and I will assure you that you will be much happier.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Like others have said..... Do not care. If you truly want to find a truly miserable person, find the one that obsesses over what others think of them. Try to be a good person, give better than you get, enjoy life, and don't be afraid to say kiss my .... and I will assure you that you will be much happier.

Like others have said..... Do not care

Sadly, when push comes to shove while a simple lookie low decided to call the cops...simply not caring ain't no remedy. Us tectors just get the "leave and desist" as it's easier for the cop. Better to desist than resist, cuz even though you can beat the ticket, any cop will tell you, "You won't beat the ride" that day to the police station. That's universal knowledge, or it should be.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
We as a hobby have a lot of problems: archies, increasing regulations and outright bans, bad PR from inconsiderate hobbyists that don't fill holes, and shows like King George, all reflect negatively on detecting.

Every day we're out, we are ambassadors for detecting and our ability to continue depends on our behavior and what other people think.

I'm not out there to make friends. We will all get along fine as long as they leave me alone.

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look down on people that don't detect! I do.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Sadly, when push comes to shove while a simple lookie low decided to call the cops...simply not caring ain't no remedy.....

Well, it's not really that we "don't care". I mean, SURE, in a perfect world, who WOULDN'T want to be loved and respected by every last person ? Who wouldn't want the red carpets rolled out for their hobby? So when someone says they "don't care", I think they are just saying that this human reality (that some people may not like our hobby) doesn't stop them. So it's not that they "don't care", it's just that they're adult enough to realize they're not going to change those people.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You seem to contradict yourself. If you truly don't care about what others think, why do you need to "try to be a good person"? and "give better than you get"? I'm not saying to obsess over it, but, realize that some people are just anti, because of ignorance, a feeling of being left out, or any number of other reasons. Some simple courtesy and friendliness can sometime overcome that. Ignoring them, telling them to buzz off, or coming on with an attitude that they're bothering you sure won't. Keep in mind that they vote too, and they can also complain....even for no reason at all....except that they can get back at you in their own way. It just doesn't cost you much to be nice, even if they're sour.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Hay, the only one in life you truly have to please is YOURSELF. But be aware, your usually the toughest one to please.
Frank...-
five star.png

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman, I like what you say, but I find it far more complex.
As far as too many newbies out their with shovels, that’s part of it, it is even worse as most are not aware of metal detecting etiquette or even why they are supposed to fill in their holes. I strongly believe that the vendors who sell them this equipment are more at fault. A discount should be available for purchase of equipment by a detectorist who is aware and complies to a code of conduct and a standard price for those that don’t. I also believe that violaters, who just don’t care, should pay a premium and shunned.

No comments on Diggers as I do not watch it, and don’t understand why some one who does not metal detect would.

As far as being out there just for the money or things we can find to sell for the money – well that would be me, when I started out, I had no idea that it could be fun and the joy of helping other people out.

Your comment “ Sorta like vultures waiting for someone to drop some gold rings – you can thank metal detecting magazines, books, U Tube for this as they often refer to beach goers as depositors.

You hit the question(s) that I get the most spot on, those are the same I usually hear. My answer usually depends on who asked it, if it is a child I show them the rhinestone encrusted key that I found and say I am looking for the treasure chest the this goes into. If it someone, I rather not talk to asks , I usually answer for my keys, and any help in finding them would be appreciated.

One point, that I think was missed is that many detectorists have a poor image of themselves and what they are doing. One has to be positive and sell them self, so that people kow one is proud of to be a detectorist and enjoys the hunt.
Yes we are look down on today because of too many newbies out there with shovels. The program diggers doesn't help our Imagine. People think we are out there just for the money or things we can find to sell to get money. Sorta like vultures waiting for someone to drop some gold rings. The question I get asked the most is what is the best thing you ever found or how much did you find today? I just enjoy the hunt.

Last edited:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You should care. They're the ones who will cause you the most problems.

They don't give me any problems, because I ignore them.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently renewed my permit this last week. I received a page of rules that said no digging. If someone asked you to leave, you had to leave(soccer coach). This was not based on law, just someone printed up a sheet of rules. I wonder why my finds had picked up recently. I have not been back to the park since. Since I have all this extra time on my hands now. Im putting a list of responsible folks who are the elected officials who I will actively seek their removal from office. When Im done everyone will know I am unhappy. This is a attack on my family and I as we used to enjoy the parks in the state. Seems the only place they want you to go is Mc Donalds.
Have you seen the new cups because they show Obama's pictures on the cups now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions