cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman, I like what you say, but I find it far more complex.
As far as too many newbies out their with shovels, that’s part of it, it is even worse as most are not aware of metal detecting etiquette or even why they are supposed to fill in their holes. I strongly believe that the vendors who sell them this equipment are more at fault. A discount should be available for purchase of equipment by a detectorist who is aware and complies to a code of conduct and a standard price for those that don’t. I also believe that violaters, who just don’t care, should pay a premium and shunned.

No comments on Diggers as I do not watch it, and don’t understand why some one who does not metal detect would.

As far as being out there just for the money or things we can find to sell for the money – well that would be me, when I started out, I had no idea that it could be fun and the joy of helping other people out.

Your comment “ Sorta like vultures waiting for someone to drop some gold rings – you can thank metal detecting magazines, books, U Tube for this as they often refer to beach goers as depositors.

You hit the question(s) that I get the most spot on, those are the same I usually hear. My answer usually depends on who asked it, if it is a child I show them the rhinestone encrusted key that I found and say I am looking for the treasure chest the this goes into. If it someone, I rather not talk to asks , I usually answer for my keys, and any help in finding them would be appreciated.

One point, that I think was missed is that many detectorists have a poor image of themselves and what they are doing. One has to be positive and sell them self, so that people kow one is proud of to be a detectorist and enjoys the hunt.
Blaming vendors for misusing their tools?? So you would blame a knife manufacturer for someone getting cut or stabbed? Misuse of a product is the responsibility of the USER, not the manufacturer or seller.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blaming vendors for misusing their tools?? So you would blame a knife manufacturer for someone getting cut or stabbed? Misuse of a product is the responsibility of the USER, not the manufacturer or seller.

We sure are seeing a slew of idiots aren't we? My unfavorite was the warning they put on the 44 Ruger Blackhawk. It IS a magnum pistol, for goodness sakes. It will blow a hole in you could throw a screwdriver through.

It sure ruined a good gun.

Well, it's not really that we "don't care". I mean, SURE, in a perfect world, who WOULDN'T want to be loved and respected by every last person ? Who wouldn't want the red carpets rolled out for their hobby? So when someone says they "don't care", I think they are just saying that this human reality (that some people may not like our hobby) doesn't stop them. So it's not that they "don't care", it's just that they're adult enough to realize they're not going to change those people.

Tom, Tom ............

A little hyperbole, huh? Maybe more than that?

We are all expected to act like adults, in a REAL imperfect world. When I grew up, not doing that got you a licking at home and a knuckle sandwich in the neighborhood. Pretending that you can somehow act like a jerk and "that's OK" is like pretending that MDing can't get legislated out of existence by the whims of local or state governments.

There is NO constitutional amendment to protect our hobby, and even if there were, we should still act responsibly. That's "adult" behavior.

TxFlag

Greenie
Jul 29, 2014
Austin TX
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Adventure 5500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
60668_582116288490044_219603271_n_zps7b7bd4a8.jpg

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
being the coil is just above the ground and the stuff we're finding is in the ground --yah I guess its "looked down on" ---but not by me...

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said TNGUNS!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They think were bums looking for pennies...the ones that know what your really doing, don't look down on the hobby... at least the show Diggers lets them see that were not bums looking for pennies...detecting is associated with "digging the place up" and archies call us looters...its a misunderstood hobby...everyone knows that fisherman are trying to catch fish and golfers are trying to get the ball in the cup...they don't know what were doing so they think its weird.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I get a lot of comments from various sources.

I personally don't give a flying f@$# about how "uncool" I look. Some think we're vultures and I don't give a FF about that either. Some people think I'm poor and tell me where to find change and even offer me some...but I don't give a FF about being assumed poor either. My wife calls my hobby "Geeking out" and my siblings from both sides think it's goofy, but I don't give a FF AND I'm bigger than all of them.

Some people think digging and damaging parks is all we do, and that I care about. I'm very careful and most of my holes look the same as before I dug.

Some people think we steal artifacts. I have given numerous items to foundations from the war of 1812 and civil war. A lot of them were worth a good amount too. Probably gave away $500 worth of that stuff.

I also, and often, give kids watching clad I find. Maybe that'll change the future when I'm 70 (35 years from now). There was a comment earlier that we're all ambassadors of the hobby and I agree.

-Lady Liberty is hot stuff...especially on a coin

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I get a lot of comments from various sources.

I personally don't give a flying f@$# about how "uncool" I look. Some think we're vultures and I don't give a FF about that either. Some people think I'm poor and tell me where to find change and even offer me some...but I don't give a FF about being assumed poor either. My wife calls my hobby "Geeking out" and my siblings from both sides think it's goofy, but I don't give a FF AND I'm bigger than all of them.

Some people think digging and damaging parks is all we do, and that I care about. I'm very careful and most of my holes look the same as before I dug.

Some people think we steal artifacts. I have given numerous items to foundations from the war of 1812 and civil war. A lot of them were worth a good amount too. Probably gave away $500 worth of that stuff.

I also, and often, give kids watching clad I find. Maybe that'll change the future when I'm 70 (35 years from now). There was a comment earlier that we're all ambassadors of the hobby and I agree.

-Lady Liberty is hot stuff...especially on a coin
There is no way to look cool while detecting. :laughing7: Well, except when you find a ring for someone, then all of the sudden they think your the coolest guy in the world.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is no way to look cool while detecting. :laughing7: Well, except when you find a ring for someone, then all of the sudden they think your the coolest guy in the world.

Boy ain't that the truth. You can do no wrong in their eyes after you hand over the bling. :)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know.....I've seen a few women detectorists that looked pretty cool....especially when they were bending over! :love10:

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As someone who is new to the hobby, I believe metal detecting is something most people have always been curious about and probably would like to try. However it is one of those things that you don't really think about until you see someone on the beach detecting when you're on vacation. For that reason most people find it easier to make fun of and look down on it than to invest the time and money to understand it and be successful. My coworkers, my family, all think its funny that I started metal detecting. Yet when I come back from the beach they all want to know what I found or people walking on the beach have to stop and watch or ask. It's somewhat satisfying to be considered so uncool yet so intriguing.

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, pro pointer, AT Gold, Vulcan pointer
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never had a problem here people are very interested in it and kids have tons of questions as do adults great way to meet people from all over the world

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I never had any problems detecting with my Gold Bug Pro, lots of friendly people but mostly you get left alone, especially if you have your headphones on.
Although I always researched first and asked if I was uncertain.
TNet, John and Ray have always been a huge help. :)

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt my local park maybe about once a week and a couple of people will come up to me and ask if I found anything good. I have never had anybody disrespect me or say anything negative. But I am 19 years old maybe that has something to do with it.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to be SOOOO embarssed to the point where if 1 person showed up, I as done. Now, after knowing what is out there....I dont give a SHIIIIIIIIII.

What gets old is the crowds of kids that ask about every signal that goes off, then stands 3 inches from you while you are digging. I have actually left places lately for that reason. But being looked down on, thats just thats persons opinion....Smokers get looked down apon, people who ride motorcycles, fast cars, nice cars, crappy cars.

The best way to "fix" that issue, is to look down yourself....and stare at the coil :)

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had kids on two seperate occasions throw coins at me and actually hit me. There's all kinds of goofy people that yell from there cars and stuff. Really doesn't bother me anymore though.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread