gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Had a city police officer approach me today at the city park. He watched me from the cruiser for a spell before he worked up the nerve to come over and talk to me. Two or three park workers were there, off in the distance, weed wacking. The cop walks up and I take my phones off and my sunglasses too. I'm prepared for the worse, I have been seeing big nasty open newbie holes in the park turf lately. Anyway, the cop was nice and started to ask me a million questions about tectin from a to z. He's gonna get one. I told him about the characters leaving holes and expressed my concern about being banned because of them. I told him about the importance of proper retrieval and covering the hole carefully, and showed examples. I showed him all the trash in my nail apron. I told him its no longer and easy game and the cream is all gone. He thanked me and left me alone. I split after the groundskeepers got to mowing. Someday I'm going to have a talk with those guys I'm certain. I'm thinking they might be looking down on tectin, but I'm not sure. But the police seem to be okay with it. For now.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a city police officer approach me today at the city park. He watched me from the cruiser for a spell before he worked up the nerve to come over and talk to me. Two or three park workers were there, off in the distance, weed wacking. The cop walks up and I take my phones off and my sunglasses too. I'm prepared for the worse, I have been seeing big nasty open newbie holes in the park turf lately. Anyway, the cop was nice and started to ask me a million questions about tectin from a to z. He's gonna get one. I told him about the characters leaving holes and expressed my concern about being banned because of them. I told him about the importance of proper retrieval and covering the hole carefully, and showed examples. I showed him all the trash in my nail apron. I told him its no longer and easy game and the cream is all gone. He thanked me and left me alone. I split after the groundskeepers got to mowing. Someday I'm going to have a talk with those guys I'm certain. I'm thinking they might be looking down on tectin, but I'm not sure. But the police seem to be okay with it. For now.
Yeah, Ive had many cops roll up and stop while I was detecting city property. I wave at them and when they see what Im doing, they always go on. Never had a problem yet.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

He was seeing if you were the one leaving the holes, credit to him.

You were open to him, credit to you.

Great outcome! Thanks.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, Ive had many cops roll up and stop while I was detecting city property. I wave at them and when they see what Im doing, they always go on. Never had a problem yet.
Around here is seems to depend on which cop you get. I've had some that practically want to throw you in the back seat, and others that would like to help you dig. No firm rules against detecting yet but they can apply the age old "no digging, molesting, disturbing" verbage that was meant to keep people from stealing the landscaping, if they want to. Hopefully, my next encounter is with Andy Taylor and not Barney Fife.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I was reading one of my treasure advice books and it said years ago metal detecting was held in high regard as other hobbies but over time people started looking down on it. Do you believe this true and if so why?

I dont believe that one of your "treasure advice" books said anything about what regards metal detecting was held, and it dont matter anyway. No I dont believe it because it's just unbelievable. One thing is for certain. Some people dont hold metal detecting in high regard, they are so high, the look down on it, like from an airplane. Why? Because they are sick of seeing newbies tearing up the park leaving a hella mess. Or they are just miserable meddling dolts, looking to take out their hatred and self loathing on innocent people having fun. Who cares what people look down on anyway? Tectin aint cool. If it was, everybody would be doing it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread