All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep it's true! Why?...Too many re-tards with detectors. Can't/won't dig proper holes/plugs, won't fill said holes, no regard for private property so on an so forth!

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with fella a lot of people will not fill the holes they dig and then that gives us guys a bad name. Some people ruin it for the rest of us

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The hobby is very isolating, yet very public at the same time. Back in the day a middle/older aged guy on his own in the park might not be looked at twice, but today people think "why, he looks suspicious!"

Still for the amount of conversations initiated by strangers to me there are many still whom hold it in high regard, curiosity and much interest!

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like Fella said. Guys that watched one to many episodes of Diggers walking around the park with a metal detector and a full size shovel ruin it for us day by day, park by park.

That said, I hunt early and late and avoid the crowds and people.

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In fifty years of detecting, the only change that I have seen. People used to say, " What you doing?" Now they say, "Finding anything?"
Everybody knows what a detector is now. Kids are much more likely to follow me around now wanting to dig the coins or get their hands in the holes that I am looking in.
But I can't really see any change in attitude or acceptance. There is more people ask what detector I think is best and do I think the hobby is one they would like. Normally just friendly conversation.
Back in the early eighties, I was detecting a park one morning and a runner came by and stopped, he looked perturbed and said, "What you doing?" I replied, "Just metal detecting." He watched for a few minutes and as he starting running on he said, "Well I don't know what you're looking for, but I hope you find it." I replied, "Well I don't know what you're chasing, but I hope you catch it.":laughing7:
Good Luck & HH

Last edited:

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story jeweler21! It begs the question though, 30 years later...did you find what you were looking for? : )

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story jeweler21! It begs the question though, 30 years later...did you find what you were looking for? : )

Yes. Looking for a good hobby and excitement of the find with tons of study and history as a bonus.
But I still don't know if he caught what he was chasing.

Good Luck & HH

Last edited:

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very much so, our reputation is tarnished and considered by society who regard us as inscrutable characters who are greedy and only out for ourselves. ...Metal detecting has been banned in our most historic city because of those bringing shovels into the parks. According to a news program, we were regarded as vandals digging open holes...and if caught in a park, a fine of $100 would be imposed. I sent the television station an email defending our position and they wanted me to do a television interview in response to their story but because I am not one for tv, respectfully declined. Some time ago, I introduced a thread regarding bringing shovels into parks, so Gleaner, if you read this, you once stated why I should care about that, well...it is because some of the best detecting in our area is probably gone forever because of irresponsible people who think they can carry shovels and leave a mess behind without repercussions...As of now, it is probably too late to change the opinions of those who think less of our hobby and if we don't change that, metal detecting could be banned everywhere....Just my thoughts...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm working on my 45th year detecting myself and find that the opinions of the average person hasn't changed a whole lot but the rules and those that have set them up and enforce them has. As Jeweler21 said, people are more informed as to what a detector is and what you do with one, so, their questions have changed a bit. You still find friendly folks who are just curious and don't mind you hunting their property, and then there are the "land barons" that get their panties in a wad if you just look at "their" parking strip in front of their house. That hasn't changed much. The schools are all being fenced and off-limits even on weekends, parks are being limited to probing only (if they haven't banned detecting altogether), more places are being considered "historical" or "environmentally sensitive" and placed off-limits too. Crazy nonsense about disturbing habitat at the beach and other areas that just don't hold scientific water. I'm sure that there are some archies or green fanatics behind some of that but showing irresponsible detecting on TV hasn't helped any either.

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705; Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got out of the hospital last week, went in to my cardiologist for check-up & got into a very good conversation about metal detecting with him, all very positive. Where I live, I haven't seen that much of a change in the views of MD'ing & people still let me hunt their property most of the time, courtesy goes a long way.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really don't care what people think of my detector or me nor I of them..

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
King George is now our ambassador. Small wonder.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes we are look down on today because of too many newbies out there with shovels. The program diggers doesn't help our Imagine. People think we are out there just for the money or things we can find to sell to get money. Sorta like vultures waiting for someone to drop some gold rings. The question I get asked the most is what is the best thing you ever found or how much did you find today? I just enjoy the hunt.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As often is the case I'm looked down until I'm needed. I once had a moron missing many teeth make a sarcastic remarks about my finds. 2 weeks later I'm in the papers returning a gold ring for and being rewarded with 200 dollars. Ignorance is rampant, enjoy the hobby.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently renewed my permit this last week. I received a page of rules that said no digging. If someone asked you to leave, you had to leave(soccer coach). This was not based on law, just someone printed up a sheet of rules. I wonder why my finds had picked up recently. I have not been back to the park since. Since I have all this extra time on my hands now. Im putting a list of responsible folks who are the elected officials who I will actively seek their removal from office. When Im done everyone will know I am unhappy. This is a attack on my family and I as we used to enjoy the parks in the state. Seems the only place they want you to go is Mc Donalds.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I was reading one of my treasure advice books and it said years ago metal detecting was held in high regard as other hobbies but over time people started looking down on it. Do you believe this true and if so why?

If you care what other people think then treasure hunting is not for you.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do care what other hunters think because I'd like to know what if anything changed personally i don't care what non hunters think.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should care. They're the ones who will cause you the most problems. Other detectorists won't. Being friendly and polite will go a long way in giving people a good impression of our hobby.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I meant online as in the question i asked.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread