Any idea to prevent the coil from floating

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sock filled w/sand should keep it from floating!

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just saw and can't remember where I saw it, that somebody had low profile weights that stuck to the coil of the Beach Hunter. I can't remember what I was searching or looking at, but just saw that this last week. They were low profile so they didn't provide drag like a sand filled sock. Try a search on Beach Hunter ID coil weights. Thinking about this a bit, I think I saw them on a prospecting website. It caught my eye because I always thought the Beach Hunter was a neat detector, but never bought one because of the floating coil. It amazes that Whites can make such great detectors, but were dumb enough to put a floating coil on a water detector.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I had a BHID I look the lower shaft and poured about 10" of sand into the rod, then stacked enough lead egg sinkers to over come the coil from floating. Next I melted some parafin wax (available at most grocery stores for canning fruits and vegetables) and poured that into the rod to hold the sinkers in it and to keep them from moving around. The lead won't effect the detector as they move with the coil so the coil doesn't react to them. Using wax allowed me to remove the lead weights when no longer needed. It's no fun trying to swing a coil through the water with a sock full of sand tied to it.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OLD TIMER I KNEW - BOUGHT SMALL CONTAINER OF CEMENT - YOU FIND A SMALL PLASTIC CONTAINER AND CREATE YOUR OWN DONUT WEIGHT - HE MADE HIS TO FIT SNUG ON HIS LOWER ROD - BUT YOU CAN MAKE IT HOWEVER YOU WANT AND ATTACH WITH ZIP TIES

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread