What does a steel cent sound like?

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
steel would sound like big iron.. depending on the decomposition (amount of rust) moisture level, and length time in the ground it can ring up like silver but the vid will jump from iron all the way up.. at least that is how they look on the CM GT. Had a can top ring up as a 95 silver dollar the other day..

Duh,, cent not can.. must read all the letters..:BangHead:

Last edited:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
My guess is that most of thoses, if they were lost back in the 50's or so, are no longer! Completeley rusted away and not even a disc left.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I have found some years back in the ground and as I recall, they had a kind of white coating as if they had a plating.
We use to dip them in mercury in chemistry class. Almost look like nickels if you passed them fast enough. lol. Frank...- hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found some years back in the ground and as I recall, they had a kind of white coating as if they had a plating.
We use to dip them in mercury in chemistry class. Almost look like nickels if you passed them fast enough. lol. Frank...-

My local detecting club has some which were used to seed the ground for a "no dig" hunt. They looked as Frank described, with a white coating. Instead of seeming like plating, though, the white substance on these looked and felt like it was corroded.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The white coating is the zinc plating over the steel. Most steel cents you find are so corroded that they aren't worth anything. I've found a few in pocket spills with other wheats but never one by itself. It's just not worth the effort to dig all those iron sounds.

wakeforestgold

Greenie
Jul 26, 2014
wake forest nc
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
well i have some steel wheats pennies 1943. it is a normal coin but in steel. it is like whitish to silver. it is different color than the normal copper pennies.

i have thousands of wheats. i search a lot for valuable and key dates. thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions