Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Keppy, I have two Pro-pointers. Both have failed, one a couple times. Both have been to Garrett's for repairs.
I repaired one that was giving me serious problems with side pressure, but both sound off when pressed against the side of a plug.

I just acquired a Whites TRX. I haven't had it in the field but so far I love it. Much greater range than the Garrett.
That helps me for searching the sports fields and only digging small targets that the PP detects.
The problem with the Garrett is that small targets like dimes were only detected an inch or so down.
You know i must have been lucky for all these years and mine never gave me a problem ..Knock on Wood ..

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ok... What's wrong with the Garrett PP?

Garrett is overpriced junk. This one is $16 at Harbor Freight. Unlike the Garrett, it actually works.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're one of the very few that thinks so.....

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You don't say what your budget is but, if I were going to get a stand-alone pin pointer for under $200, I'd get the White's TRX. If you just can't swing it and need something for under $100, the Fisher F Point or Kellyco Accufind would be my choice, with the Bounty Hunter a distant 3rd. I wouldn't bother with the Harbor Freight unit.

OH, the Harbor Freight, $16, adjustable sensitivity pinpointer. The one that finds the target as fast as any other. The one I have been using for years with no problems. Yes I did replace the switch, cost me about $2 and app. 20 min. The one I added a bright blue LED to that lights when it detects the target.
The value model that does the same as the overpriced ones.
Now what did you base your opinion on?
Frank...-
five star.png

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My pro pointer works great... I can stand out in the rain with it.. rinse it off in the sink... It has side scan that changes the vibration and tone intensity with the proximity of the object... Pinpoint tip scanning... And I'm rough on tools and hunt sometimes 10 or more hours a day in the Florida heat and afternoon thunderstorms.
I've watched friends go through several Harbor Freight gadgets.

ForumRunner_20140803_184830.png

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just saying if your relic hunting sometimes you're a long way from a vehicle if it starts to rain you may need something that's not going to melt

ForumRunner_20140803_190138.png

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just saying if your relic hunting sometimes you're a long way from a vehicle if it starts to rain you may need something that's not going to melt

View attachment 1032914

I think the message is, not directed toward you who have got lucky and good fortune to have a working Gpp. The message is directed to all the multitude of Gpp owners who were not so fortunate and had the one, two, Three failures and WAS stuck out there without a tool to work with rain or no rain. There are now better alternatives and many are turning in that direction.

OP
OP
conkauctions

conkauctions

Jul 19, 2014
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed. I am just gonna get one and use it till it dies or get lucky, one of the two

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett stands by their products.. if anything happens that shouldn't they will take care of it promptly.
I have a feeling quality control went down a little when they blew up after the show diggers I'm pretty sure they have a handle on it now.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where is it made? Please, no more bullets for China!

If only we could contaminate them with the minimum wage virus they would suffer like U.S.

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All this being said, over the weekend I got a Minelabs Pro-Find 25 and a BH pin pointer in a deal. I compared those to the CenTech. By far the ML has the best distance (2-3") and sensitivity, but for the money it certainly should. Next best distance is the CenTech (about 3/4") then the BH (nearly touching). When I go out, the ML will be coming with me. Either of the others would make a decent backup.

Last edited:

scott9050

Apr 8, 2013
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Teknetics Omega 8500
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett is overpriced junk. This one is $16 at Harbor Freight. Unlike the Garrett, it actually works.

I tried one of those, it broke in two days. I purchased the Garrett and so far so good.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My next one will be the Xpointer. I have the Garretts and Pistol Probe.

The Garretts break down although their service is top notch. Pistol Probe is unmatched for depth but durability and
the awkward shape make it less desirable.

The Xpointer is pulse induction which gets away from the falsing of the Garrett. I only has one
9v battery so it will not be as deep as the Pistol Probe.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Garretts break down although their service is top notch. Pistol Probe is unmatched for depth but durability and

The Xpointer is pulse induction which gets away from the falsing of the Garrett. I only has one

My X pointer gave me a tad less depth than the Gpp. My Pistol probe the door fell off and I could hardly push the button to use it. My TRX has only a couple AA cells and it gets great depth, so I don't think the battery capacity is the reason for lack of depth.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I like a tool that works great at first asking. I don't want to have to play with it or cajole it into doing what I want. That's not my idea of fun. Those HF pin pointers are not very ergonomically friendly either.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010

Wiser decision is to get the TRX next to test. It is the ONLY state of the art with a company to back it up which will equal the Pistol Probe. I own both.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The TRX doesn't even have side scan.
I can scan an entire plug or use the lip that's on the pro pointer for specifically this reason to move the dirt around while scanning all of it at once

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I like a tool that works great at first asking. I don't want to have to play with it or cajole it into doing what I want. That's not my idea of fun. Those HF pin pointers are not very ergonomically friendly either.

You are so right, you should not have to nickel trick it or bitz slap it to get it going.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if you didn't have that problem you would agree it's a better product?

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
$89 XPointer is a great buy with 2 year warranty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread