Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest the Garrett Pro-Pointer or the Whites Bullseye TRX

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using your words "once and done turd" to evaluate what is currently being sold would fit the Gpp the closest. The whites has a very short but good history. Minelab has a good record. Others like vibraprobe also have good records. RS also has not had much negative reports. Good luck on your choice.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an F-Point that I like but I seem to be the only one who says so. ;-)

My primary is a SunRay Fx-1 but that's not cheap. It's a separate 3/4" coil you leave attached to the detector - but it uses the TDI as well as your headphones and has to use your detector's circuitry (as in - it doesn't work with other brands and stays attached to one unit).

One of my favorites that I used for years is a Merlin SXL Pro. Not waterproof (I carried mine in a baggie) but it lights and vibrates or optionally "beeps" and has a perfect 1-1/2" range. Sadly, I don't think they're made any longer. I still use this with my Minelab Musketeer II and as a stud-finder at home.

merlin-probe.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't say what your budget is but, if I were going to get a stand-alone pin pointer for under $200, I'd get the White's TRX. If you just can't swing it and need something for under $100, the Fisher F Point or Kellyco Accufind would be my choice, with the Bounty Hunter a distant 3rd. I wouldn't bother with the Harbor Freight unit.

OP
OP
conkauctions

conkauctions

Jul 19, 2014
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Surprisingly i also read the bounty hunter is the turd but this whole venture is fun and exercise for me but i want it to be some lessons for my son. As we find change we are saving for the pin pointer so i need to keep his interest and not have to save a fortune u til we find the gold cache!

Thanks for your help

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Whites TRX or Minelab.

Stay away from Garrett

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok... What's wrong with the Garrett PP?

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I've had no trouble outta my 2 Garretts pointers since 2010. I do own a TRX and use it exclusively today though. I'm reading a lot of praise over a new pointer, the X-Pointer, which sells for $89. Supposedly gets 2 inches depth easily and is rugged. I'm still pleased with the Garretts when I test them these days. martin

I need to correct myself about the 2" depths easily gotten. That was an air test on a quarter as I've read. I suspect it will match the Garretts at 1" to 1.5" on dimes and pennies. It'll be interesting if the stock price of $89 becomes less with competing dealers.

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
i have had my Garrett pro pointer one of the first one put out and have never had a problem with it..And i got it when they first came out…And i can put all kinds of pressure on the tip when hunting and it never sounds off only sounds off when it finds a target……….. I have never seen one do that so i wonder about what some of you are talking about..Did you actual see it or do it or just hear about it .. And then say yours did it ??If you even had a Garrett Pro pointer

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
And i was looking at that .. X Pointer …and for $89.00 it seems to be just as good as the Garretts ..Whites ..& Minelab's at a lot lower cost.to the buyer… And it could be better than the brand names……. Main2.jpg

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where is it made? Please, no more bullets for China!

jwbro

Mar 25, 2014
Blue Ridge, Va
Detector(s) used
White's QXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've owned the White's TRX for about 3 months now. This pointer is awesome! I still have my White's Bullseye, but there is no comparison with the depth of the TRX. I've gotten hits as far down as 5-6 inches. The TRX costs a bit more, but gives back so much more.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Where is it made? Please, no more bullets for China!
I do not know were it is made …. But as you know every detector out there no matter what brand propably has parts from China in in them..

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like mine Pro Pointer been going strong for 3 yrs now

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I like mine Pro Pointer been going strong for 3 yrs now
The ProPointer i use i got one of the first one's out … I never had a problem with it and it has never give me a false signal no matter how hard i have pushed it in the ground ...

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy, I have two Pro-pointers. Both have failed, one a couple times. Both have been to Garrett's for repairs.
I repaired one that was giving me serious problems with side pressure, but both sound off when pressed against the side of a plug.

I just acquired a Whites TRX. I haven't had it in the field but so far I love it. Much greater range than the Garrett.
That helps me for searching the sports fields and only digging small targets that the PP detects.
The problem with the Garrett is that small targets like dimes were only detected an inch or so down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread