Does anyone know what the unbranded detector is? Total Beginner.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been looking for an entry level detector for awhile now. I live in New Jersey near Washington Cross the Delaware area. And on the site of a very old horse track. I would mostly be hunting very locally. I really want the cheapest detector that will allow me to see if I like the hobby or not. I really don't want to spend $300 and not like the hobby. I've ordered stuff from this site before and its about 70% great and 30% junk. Its all made in China but hard not to find somethings made in China.

Here is the link Metal Detector with up to 1.5M (5ft) Detection at MidnightBox

Any input would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can promise you, you WON"T enjoy the hobby if you buy the cheapest piece of crap on the planet! It'll be more frustrating than anything. At least spend $100 on a cheap Bounty Hunter. It's less than $20 more!

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Total beginner???... I'd start with the search button.

OR donate the $100+ to your favorite charity, you'll probably feel better in the end.

Zero knowledge about the hobby or the instruments + seller who has mislead/disappointed 1 of every 3 times + using lowest price as "the biggest" determining factor = recipe for crappy times!!

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for a used brand name detector.
I see used f2's and ace 250's on Craigslist all the time for $100-$150....so much more machine for not that much more money.
The Bounty Hunter line up also has some entry level machines in that price range.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you buy a good quality and popular detector, you're not going to take a complete loss if you don't like detecting and have to turn around and sell the machine. You'll lose probably 25% on a new detector. Probably nothing or very little loss on a used machine if you buy right. There again, don't buy some off brand nobody has heard of. Stick with the name brands and popular models. You might also think about borrowing one from another detectorist or renting one from a store. The better the machine, usually the less frustration starting out. Just about any good machine these days has turn-on-and-go programs to get you started.

OP
OP
D

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, for the advice. I never thought about renting one. Sometimes that site has items that are identical to branded models just with no brand and poor instructions. Its a crap shoot. I guess I will look on craigslist for a used one.

@finderskeepers I used the search button. There are many different answers/opinions. I just thought someone might recognize this machine. But yes I don't want to start off with no chance of enjoying the hobby.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dumpsterdiver you don't say where you live at. You may try to find someone that have a couple of detectors and they will take you out a couple of times and you could use one of their detector to see if you would like the hobbie. I know if you are close to me I would take you out. That way you could try a couple of detectors to see what they can do.......Matt

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do not buy this one for sure...

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV from Hobby Lobby for $76 shipped. List price is like $109, but they have a 40% off on one item. The only Chinese made detector I've found that is worth a crap is an MD1023. Build quality isn't very good, but they work surprisingly well.

That said, keep an eye on craigslist, and classifieds on this and other detecting forums. Deals can be had if you are patient.

OP
OP
D

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gib, Thanks I will look into that, sounds like a great place to start.

I have no problems with used ones but I guess buying used is a lot easier when you already own one and know what to look for.

mlayers, Thanks for the offer. I am in New Jersey, mentioned it right there in the first post.

You can get a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV from Hobby Lobby for $76 shipped. List price is like $109, but they have a 40% off on one item. The only Chinese made detector I've found that is worth a crap is an MD1023. Build quality isn't very good, but they work surprisingly well.

That said, keep an eye on craigslist, and classifieds on this and other detecting forums. Deals can be had if you are patient.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you buy a real cheapo no-name, you are guaranteeing that you will not enjoy metal detecting. I concur with the others here who suggested buying a used name brand.

The Tesoro Compadre is an excellent machine and easy to use. Brand new it sells for $160, so a used one should be in your price range.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would ask myself if I had the patience for this hobby first. There is a lot of kneeling, digging, getting back up again. There is a lot of trash that is dug that can be discouraging before finding something good. There is a lot to learn about the machine you are swinging, What are the right settings for where you hunt? Where do I hunt? How to dig a good plug so no one knows you were there. What are the laws where I live? Sometimes getting up @ 5 am so there is no traffic at site or going out in the early evening.
I spent over a month watching videos of detector reviews and watching experienced detectors before I bought my first machine. All of that research has been paying off so far and has made for less surprises. I had to ask myself, Am I in for a penny or am I in for a pound? I haven't been at this long, but as you can see by my signature, I haven't done too bad for a newbie.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I concur with cudamark's suggestion on renting. I was able to rent one and it was a nice way to have a test drive. The store I went to had daily rentals, but since I rented on a Saturday and they were closed Sunday, I was allowed to keep it until Monday morning. This gave me all weekend to try it. Look for any store that rents tools or construction type equipment. Give them a call and have fun.

OP
OP
D

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad its working out. I read the forums and watch a lot of youtube video. Even that terrible show on tv diggers where I learned to yell at the top of my lungs everytime I find something. I am just a natural cheap person. But I didn't want something so cheap it was useless. And wasn't sure about used when I've never owned one.

I did find a weird ad on craigslist that reads "
WE HAD A PRETTY GOOD YEAR METAL DETECTING... WE RETURNED SOME LOST ITEMS TO SOME OWNERS--WE FOUND A NICE LARGE CENT THAT WENT TO THE LAND OWNER, SOME MUSKET BALLS, WHEATY PENNY'S ETC... SO, WE ARE LOOKING AGAIN FOR MORE PLACES TO METAL DETECT, WE CARRY AN EXTRA METAL DETECTOR SET AND CAN (TEACH YOU) HOW TO OPERATE IT AND KEEP WHAT YOU FIND---REMEMBER WE USE VERY SMALL HAND HELD DIGGING TOOLS AND WILL COVER UP WELL ANY SMALL HOLES MADE--WE RESPECT YOUR LAND!- GIVE US AN EMAIL AND LETS GET STARTED!-- USUALLY THE AVERAGE YARD TAKES ABOUT 1 -1/2 HOURS TO COVER-- ALL HISTORICAL ITEMS TO YOUR HOMESTEAD ARE YOURS, ANY LOST ITEMS THAT ARE YOURS OR FAMILY WE WILL FIND AT NO CHARGE FOR YOU ----HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON-- THANKS"

Is this legit??

I would ask myself if I had the patience for this hobby first. There is a lot of kneeling, digging, getting back up again. There is a lot of trash that is dug that can be discouraging before finding something good. There is a lot to learn about the machine you are swinging, What are the right settings for where you hunt? Where do I hunt? How to dig a good plug so no one knows you were there. What are the laws where I live? Sometimes getting up @ 5 am so there is no traffic at site or going out in the early evening.
I spent over a month watching videos of detector reviews and watching experienced detectors before I bought my first machine. All of that research has been paying off so far and has made for less surprises. I had to ask myself, Am I in for a penny or am I in for a pound? I haven't been at this long, but as you can see by my signature, I haven't done too bad for a newbie.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Eurotek Pro for $219 has the best price/ performance ratio I've seen in this hobby. I like the Xterra 305 also and see those for very good prices quite often and its 3 year warranty is transferrable where the Teknetics ETP is not.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look for a used brand name detector.
I see used f2's and ace 250's on Craigslist all the time for $100-$150....so much more machine for not that much more money.
The Bounty Hunter line up also has some entry level machines in that price range.

Right on!

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad its working out. I read the forums and watch a lot of youtube video. Even that terrible show on tv diggers where I learned to yell at the top of my lungs everytime I find something. I am just a natural cheap person. But I didn't want something so cheap it was useless. And wasn't sure about used when I've never owned one.

I did find a weird ad on craigslist that reads "
WE HAD A PRETTY GOOD YEAR METAL DETECTING... WE RETURNED SOME LOST ITEMS TO SOME OWNERS--WE FOUND A NICE LARGE CENT THAT WENT TO THE LAND OWNER, SOME MUSKET BALLS, WHEATY PENNY'S ETC... SO, WE ARE LOOKING AGAIN FOR MORE PLACES TO METAL DETECT, WE CARRY AN EXTRA METAL DETECTOR SET AND CAN (TEACH YOU) HOW TO OPERATE IT AND KEEP WHAT YOU FIND---REMEMBER WE USE VERY SMALL HAND HELD DIGGING TOOLS AND WILL COVER UP WELL ANY SMALL HOLES MADE--WE RESPECT YOUR LAND!- GIVE US AN EMAIL AND LETS GET STARTED!-- USUALLY THE AVERAGE YARD TAKES ABOUT 1 -1/2 HOURS TO COVER-- ALL HISTORICAL ITEMS TO YOUR HOMESTEAD ARE YOURS, ANY LOST ITEMS THAT ARE YOURS OR FAMILY WE WILL FIND AT NO CHARGE FOR YOU ----HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON-- THANKS"

Is this legit??

That ad seems legit, sounds like seasoned detectorists (aka, hunters) who would like to hunt on private lands. Presenting it the way they do perhaps gives a private property owner incentive to contact them. I could see that especially being the case if the property owner is looking for someone to recover a lost item (ring, jewelry, etc). The hunters probably figure that by offering to give up anything historical or known to have been lost by the family, they may be able to keep any generic items like silver coins, for example.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread