Mar 4, 2014
Dublin
Detector(s) used
Winbest Barska Elite,,, & a Garrett's Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi
Hope this will sort a few people out with the answer they are looking for:

Them nugget type we all find on the beach are ,,,,, YES,,,, silver nuggets,,, 80% to 90% pure silver....:thumb_up::thumb_up:
well i am sure most of us got some & threw them away ..... Have tested them and all confirmed as silver,,,,
Hope you like my video regarding testing them,,,, if you don't have the chemical test ,,, then try the ice test,,,,

Cheers
Klondike Ger..

Upvote 0

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You know, I never thought of that.Might have throughn some out. It's as bad as the old prospectors dumping the platinum that was clogging there sluices.
Frank...-
five star.png

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I have no idea where you're hunting, where "silver nuggets" are showing up on the beach. Dublin I assume ? I can't imagine what causes them to get there.

But I can tell you this: Anywhere else in the world, on any beach anywhere, when you find molten nuggets like that, they are simply molten aluminum slag . It results when people throw aluminum cans on beach bonfires. But hey, if you think they're silver, I've got a bunch I can sell you ! :)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All metals will conduct heat and melt ice. Unless you have several different metals to use as a comparison, that test is sketchy at best. Also, you should always use a hard, flat, and level surface when using a scale.

foilfinder

Jul 15, 2014
Ardmore Ok.
Detector(s) used
Sovereign/WOT,Goldquest,DFX,Tesoro DeLeon,
Fisher Impulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are interesting nuggets, I only find the slag from camp fires so small they usually go through the scoop. A couple things to think about though is that some metal mixtures will not react chemically..These chemical tests already assume you have jewelry that you want to confirm what it is..not a test for just anything available so you need a true metal test. perhaps a nearby college can do it free as a class project or something.
Just to give you hope I will say it is entirely possible that silver ingots were involved in a ship fire(a hot one no less) and became molten before being submerged then years or decades later washed up..Even still I think they would be more pure then that.
Don't want to dampen your spirits but you need a better test.
Good luck out there.

Last edited:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
take a bunch of them to a place where they buy gold and silver and see what they say. They should be able to tell you if they are really silver nuggets...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
take a bunch of them to a place where they buy gold and silver and see what they say. They should be able to tell you if they are really silver nuggets...

No, don't listen to Mlayers. They are definately silver nuggets. So here's what you do: buy a bunch of those silver nuggets from me (I get lots here around campfire/bonfire pits), and I'll sell them to you at HALF the "spot market". THEN you do as mlayers says, and have them tested by the buy/sell/trade/smelters places.

Afterall, your video leaves no doubt to their being silver, so let me know when I can ship you a bunch of my silver nuggets :)

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I have no idea where you're hunting, where "silver nuggets" are showing up on the beach. Dublin I assume ? I can't imagine what causes them to get there.

But I can tell you this: Anywhere else in the world, on any beach anywhere, when you find molten nuggets like that, they are simply molten aluminum slag . It results when people throw aluminum cans on beach bonfires. But hey, if you think they're silver, I've got a bunch I can sell you ! :)

My experience as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions