foilfinder

Jul 15, 2014
Ardmore Ok.
Detector(s) used
Sovereign/WOT,Goldquest,DFX,Tesoro DeLeon,
Fisher Impulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig a C shaped plug and fold it over, you also need to get below the roots with the shovel, some root systems are deeper then others but if you get below them there is nothing but dirt so you end up with a clean plug and the C shape will allow the grass to recover. Use a towel or piece of cardboard to put the dirt into so when your done you can get it all back in the hole.

dokc

Oct 24, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get back a little of the dirt and put it on top of the plug, keeps some moisture for the roots. Of course you could pour a little of your bottled water over the plug too!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Depending on the grass type. there is not much one can do unless you are there to give it plenty of water! What foilfinder and dock suggested are right on!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Don't hunt turf in the dry summer months. Choose other types hunting terrain during this time. Do turf after the moist fall rains have moistened things up, or in Spring months, etc....

Another tip: stomp on the plug hard with your foot, after you've reinstalled it. So that the soil is all condensed back to the original level, packing, etc....

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think all 3 posts have good points. IMHO... c-shaped/u-shaped plug is critical 1st step. Next, finding balance between large plug (meaning deep) to preserve as much root system as possible, but not so big that you start drawing stares from 100 yards. Then careful re-packing. Watering is a great idea, if it is practical...but personally, I stay out of parks and good turf during July/August as the chances of plug death increases pretty significantly. I'd rather let the suspense build for another month or 2 than try to convince someone I'm doing no harm while standing over a couple of 6" dead circles of grass where I dug 2 weeks ago.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
OK, My mom was an expert gardner. She was on call for a radio station. They called her THE GREEN THUMB.
-First make your plug about 6" in dia.
-No matter how shallow the target dig at least 3"+ deep so you don't cut the roots. Some dry area grass roots go 6" but that is rare.
_DON'T stomp on the plug when you reinsert it, that kills the blades ability to convert sunlight. Just press down with your thumbs around the perimeter.

That's the best you can do unless you want to water it.
Frank...-
five star.png

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are tons of youtube videos, you will see its pretty easy.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig a C shaped plug and fold it over, you also need to get below the roots with the shovel, some root systems are deeper then others but if you get below them there is nothing but dirt so you end up with a clean plug and the C shape will allow the grass to recover. Use a towel or piece of cardboard to put the dirt into so when your done you can get it all back in the hole.

What he said:laughing7:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You cant in the dead of summer.... in winter its no problem...

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're getting lots of good advice.

I just wanted to make a point. I don't know what kind of digging tools you have but using a good tool makes a world of difference.

If you can't afford anything expensive you you can go to Home Depot (or elsewhere) and buy a tool. I paid ten bucks for an Ames digging tool which is basically identical to the Fiskar's digging tool that you can look at Here:

Fiskars Big Grip Multi-Purpose Planting Tool: Gardening & Lawn Care : Walmart.com

They have a smooth blade side and a VERY sharp saw blade side that slices through roots like butter. They cut a nice clean plug. My holes are SO much better now. I started off using a folding US army trench shovel (which is still awesome for rocks, some roots and deeper digging) and a regular gardening trowel.

The Fiskar's tools can get a bit pricy but they're great.

The Hori Tori tools are good too and inexpensive as well. Just get whatever feels right for you and fits your budget. Everyone has their own personal preferences, likes and dislikes.

Also, a big plug is a good thing sometimes. if you dig too small a plug you end up having to make the hole bigger and your original plug no longer fills the hole and you end up with a messy looking hole when you're done. Make sure you dig your plug at least a little bigger than your target so you can pop it right back where it goes nice and snug.

Also, don't dig down on an angle. Go STRAIGHT down, all they way around your "C". That way when you replace the plug. it's far less likely to come back out of the hole.

Remember, like any skill in life, practice makes perfect. The more you dig the better you'll get at it.

I hope this helps and HH.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might also look into using a slit method, if conditions allow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread