Whats a Decrnt MD for Beginner?

timmune

Jul 12, 2014
Seattle Area - Eastside
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's a Decent MD for Beginner?

Hey guys, I've been hunting coin rolls for about another or so now and after reading a number of posts/ finds from all you MD guys/gals, I'm sold on the prospect of giving it a whirl.

My question:

What's a good MD to start out with? I live in the Northwest...think trees, some fields, maybe daytrips to the local mountain pass, and of course the backyard of my moms house which is approx 2 acres.

I'd like something to get me started and maybe last about a year before I upgrade, and am most interested in coins, relics, etc.

I'd like to spend between $100 - $300, definitely nor more than like $320.

Im concerned about purchasing used as I'll have no clue about how to test the MD before buying it to make sure I'm not buying a broken piece of equipment.

Appreciate all the help and advice in advance! Thanks much!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lores

Apr 15, 2014
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro ACE 250 Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course the at pro is better then the 250/350 but you budget is $300. With that said i would keep out $100 for a pin pointer thus leaving you $200. I have a 250 and it is a great machine. I had a crap pin pointer. Had to be within 1/2 inch to pick up a penny, dime.... Got a garrett pro pointer and my digging time dropped significantly. I now have an at pro also. It is a great machine. But it wont be under $300. I have no experince with the F2.

OP
OP
timmune

timmune

Jul 12, 2014
Seattle Area - Eastside
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok everyone, I've finally made my order today for an F2, which I got for 200 and should get in the mail on Monday!

I'm looking at pin pointers now in the $100 range...any particular suggestions on that or they all pretty much the same?

Thanks again for all the help and support!

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett pro-pointer or whites trx.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

there is one from harbour freight that is $15. I got it for $15 total with shipping on sale. I am not sure how it compares to the garrett though. - http://www.harborfreight.com/metal-detector-97245.html

Congrats on the F2. I have a fisher as well and love it. Great customer service as I had to contact them for something. If I were in your boat I would have went F2 over the garrett 250 as well. For some reason the fisher just seems to have more positive reviews although I assume both machines perform the same. I think garrett just has some haters.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Tesoro Compadre - $160 brand new. Blows the Garrett junk away. Plus you get a lifetime warranty.

OP
OP
timmune

timmune

Jul 12, 2014
Seattle Area - Eastside
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It begins.

image-3229164451.jpg

REDOC

Greenie
Jul 31, 2014
CA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 /GPX 4500 /Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer & Carrot / Ace 250 & 350 / 6000 Di Pro SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought the 250 after research. Not that big a difference except the price really. Take the extra $$ like they say and get a good pin pointer. The 250 is a coin machine but haven't found any silver yet, but if I was over it I'm sure it would nail it. As far as the bigger coil (like the 350 with a couple kHz more) really like the smaller one and going to pick up a sniper smaller coil yet. Would have like a ATpro but maybe down the road. Don't think the price dif is worth the 350 over the 250. My 2 cents anywho............

Last edited:

gtfm2345

Nov 15, 2012
c ny
Detector(s) used
TEK OMEGA TEK ALPHA DET PRO WADER NEL COIL 4"dd
10" ELPTCL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Strongly consider the teknetics Delta if you making long trips. In my opinion tek builds greatest speed response and depth
for the money (remember that most stuff missed is because people swing too fast and dont keep coil flat) tek's give the strongest learning curve in my opinion

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He already bought the F2. Doesn't anyone actually read the thread before they post?

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed very much I've had an ACE and others, the Teknetics Delta 4000 is fantastic.

Last edited:

Cherokee Dan

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetics 4000 Garrett Pin Pointer
AT Pro, Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Tecknetics 4000 when I first started. Really like the machine. Has screen and many good settings. Very light weight, and easy to setup. Still have it and use as backup. Later up graded to an AT pro. Still use the 4000 some. It is not a depth hog.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He already bought the F2. Doesn't anyone actually read the thread before they post?
Amazing how many people don't read the posts and waste their time replying. :tongue3:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok everyone, I've finally made my order today for an F2, which I got for 200 and should get in the mail on Monday!

I'm looking at pin pointers now in the $100 range...any particular suggestions on that or they all pretty much the same?

Thanks again for all the help and support!
Garrett pro pointer...you wont be disappointed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread