Whats a Decrnt MD for Beginner?

timmune

Jul 12, 2014
Seattle Area - Eastside
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's a Decent MD for Beginner?

Hey guys, I've been hunting coin rolls for about another or so now and after reading a number of posts/ finds from all you MD guys/gals, I'm sold on the prospect of giving it a whirl.

My question:

What's a good MD to start out with? I live in the Northwest...think trees, some fields, maybe daytrips to the local mountain pass, and of course the backyard of my moms house which is approx 2 acres.

I'd like something to get me started and maybe last about a year before I upgrade, and am most interested in coins, relics, etc.

I'd like to spend between $100 - $300, definitely nor more than like $320.

Im concerned about purchasing used as I'll have no clue about how to test the MD before buying it to make sure I'm not buying a broken piece of equipment.

Appreciate all the help and advice in advance! Thanks much!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RvPrepper

Feb 9, 2013
Deming,NM
Detector(s) used
White's V3i Had a Fisher as a kid but can't recall which one. Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want used to test use a nickel and gold wedding band for testing. I bought a Lone Star Bounty Hunter but plan to move up to the Fisher F5 because the cheaper ms's are lacking depth reading and the F5 has builtin pointer mode. My two cents.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go to Kellyco website... shop around w/in your price range, then check out independent reviews on other sites, youtube videos, etc. I went w/ the Garret Ace 350, very happy w/ it, good luck to you.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will get tons of comments from many users. Many of us are VERY brand loyal so take that into consideration. I think literally the best one you can comfortably afford is not off base. Often times a good used machine is a great way to start with the higher end machines. Many of us always want the latest and greatest and will let a perfectly good machine go at a considerable loss. Do lots of research and remember some of the machines are better for relics and some for coins, so your primary type of hunting will affect what will best suit you. Coin hunters generally prefer the metered (VDI) machines and often the hardcore relic folks will prefer beep and dig. I do a bit of both and love my T2 SE. The AT Pro has a huge following and can be used on land or in the water. I think the best advice anyone can give you is to do research and read reviews and try to narrow in based on your budget and the type of hunting you want to do. Good luck.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you want to go cheap and are not sure you will 'stick with it', get a bounty hunter tracker IV on amazon for $80. Its an awesome cheap machine. If you find you are not digging in a few months you wont have broke the bank. And if you want to upgrade, you wont care that you spent $80 to find out if you liked the hobby or not.

Now, if you think you will like it and want something better, the Fisher F2 sounds like the best machine in your price range ($200). A few months ago I was in the same position and found the fisher f2 seemed to have the most positive reviews overall. There are a few others in that price range too that people like (garret ace 250, tesaro, etc). and they probably all are the same depth and such so you are not going to go wrong with any of them. Tesaro has a lifetime warranty which is awesome. The garrett seems to have people that either love or hate it. Keep in mind I havent used any of these machines. I bought the bounty hunter, realized I liked the hobby, and bought a $1200 machine for the beach...

Last edited:

Lores

Apr 15, 2014
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro ACE 250 Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im partial to screens. Find a good ACE 250 or 350 used. Take the money you save and buy a very good pin pointer. As someone new to the hobby I can tell you to not underestimate the value of a good pin pointer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
timmune

timmune

Jul 12, 2014
Seattle Area - Eastside
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm leaning towards a Garrett Ace 250 or 350 right now... any significant difference between the two I should know about?

RvPrepper

Feb 9, 2013
Deming,NM
Detector(s) used
White's V3i Had a Fisher as a kid but can't recall which one. Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell you this don't bother spending 49.00 on pinpointed to cheap have no depth, I just ordered a Valcun 360 from KellyCo.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Fisher F2 with multiple coils, and you can still get a great pinpointer and stay under 300. do some research yourself on "Fisher F2." Best bang for the buck!

Stay away from KellyCo. Especially the free pinpointer and accessories. Junk.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett ACE 250 or 350.... you can buy them new at Kellyco at $300 or less.... good luck...

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So I'm leaning towards a Garrett Ace 250 or 350 right now... any significant difference between the two I should know about?

If I were getting a Garrett, I would just get a used AT Pro from someone on the forums. It will be worth it for you to get the AT Pro over these 2. in fact if I had $300 to spend it would be my number one choice.

Fisher F2 with multiple coils, and you can still get a great pinpointer and stay under 300. do some research yourself on "Fisher F2." Best bang for the buck!

Stay away from KellyCo. Especially the free pinpointer and accessories. Junk.

This is exactly what I found in my research too. The fisher f2 seems like it gets really good reviews everywhere. Also check to see if these machines have a pinpoint mode or even need a pinpointer. With my cz21 a pinpointer would be a total waste. I dont even use the pinpointer on the machine, it just doesnt need it. I did buy my machine from kellyco and it was a good experience and they were very quick with delivery and such. But yea the freebies are junk.

Last edited:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also say Ace 250 or 350. I just picked one up for my daughter from Kellyco for $300 and also got a lot of free stuff with it. We got a pin pointer, digging tool, pouch to put our finds in, a DVD on how to use the Ace plus a few other items...

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't overlook the Tesoro line of detectors. They have excellent discrimination, don't cost an arm and a leg, and have a lifetime warranty. They are lightweight, and powerful machines.This is what I would recommend for a beginner all day long. These machines are no joke, even for the serious detectorist.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
check out the delta 4000 -- it has a 0 to 99 numbers type sorting display to help ID what type of metal you found * its light in weight --runs off 1 - 9 volt -- it has a all metal mode and a custom mode with notching ability along wit preset modes (coin/jewelry) its priced at $279

OP
OP
timmune

timmune

Jul 12, 2014
Seattle Area - Eastside
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I didn't expect so many responses! Now I'm spinning my head a little, but it sounds like the general consensus is Ace vs F2 vs AT.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
3 great choices based on your budget...

JayInGA

Nov 24, 2012
South of Griffin, GA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought the F4 from a guy who bought it from kellco. It only had the DD coil. I was gonna buy a F2. I am happy but I would've went with the AT pro use if I could go back. I am happy with the Fisher F4 though. Find something new every time I MD my yard. Found bunches of old car parts, axe heads and cow nose rings. Went to the park 3 times and have found a broken gold necklace and about $7 in change. I stress for you to get a very good pinpointer. Makes finding what u found very quick

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an ATpro and it paid for itself the first year....however i did not start with it and it may have a little learning curve for a first machine. I would definately take the Ace350 over the 250 for the price difference just for the DD coil. Pinpoints much better! But talking beginner machines...the Fisher F2 comes highly recommended(i have never used one) and i personally like the Silver Umax from Tesoro. It doesnt have a screen but is powerful, accurate, and very easy to learn and find the good stuff with. New it costs around 250.00 and leaves room for a pinpointer in the budget. It just comes down to personal preference, but i would stay away from the bounty hunters as all i have used lack alot in the depth department and you will want more depth very quickly. So i recommend looking/researching the Ace350...Fisher F2....Tesoro Silver Umax. My son has the Tesoro Compadre (a Silver umax without sensitivity adjust) and it is a wonderful little machine! Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread