Picked up a very inexpensive Cen-Tech pinpointer- Comments/Questions??

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I ran across an old thread yesterday regarding the Cen-Tech hand held "metal detector" from Harbor Freight Tools. I called them and they had 5 on the shelf at 17.99. Apparently, at the time the original thread was written there was a 2 month wait. I don't think that's a problem anymore/

Here's the original thread. I tried to bump it but it didn't bump:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/tool-shed/82722-inexpensive-hand-held-pinpointer.html

There's a good thorough description, a picture and the specs in the OP.

Anyway, I got this thing, put the battery in (single 9volt) and gave it a quick test in my car. It definitely works, I can say that much. It has a sensitivity adjustment and a built in light that's kinda' cool IMO.

It looks a bit cheesy (because it is cheesy) but I ran across a few YouTube videos and a few more threads on this site that show how to modify it into a fairly decent pinpointer for just a few bucks and a little time.

Apparently, the switch is the weakest link in the device but that can be easily replaced. Also, the probe is bolted through the device with a simple small nut. I'm thinking a lock washer or some Loctite (or both) will hold that thing in place for a while. (super glue makes an excellent substitute for Loctite BTW). It's also not waterproof but that shouldn't be too big an obstacle to correct.

Tomorrow I'll test it on some real digs and see how it does. If it's really bad I'm only out about 18 bucks but I'm sure I'll get some use out of it before I use up my moneys worth anyway.

I stopped in Bass Pro Shops last Saturday morning after picking up my latest detector and they only had the Bounty Hunter pinpointer with a price tag of 69.99. You can get them online for around 35.00 any time.

So, I figured I would try this thing out in the meantime and see how it does. I just thought I would pass this info on to any newbies like myself who haven't heard of this device. And of course, if you don't have a Harbor freight store in your area you can buy them online from the company website.

I swear, that place is like the Dollar store of tools but they do have lots of unusual stuff at really low prices. I couldn't even get anyone to help me find the darn thing because there was no one there TO help me. It took me about 15 minutes and then another 15 waiting in the ONE checkout line that was open. Overall, I'm thinkin' it was worth the wait. That may change once I form a solid opinion on this device.

I do think that this thing is perfect for kids or those who are just learning the hobby. Plus if a kid (or anyone else) loses interest you're still not out any significant money.

Any comments or critiques are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and HH.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just wire the two switch wires together

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The wire size is based on the current draw of the circuit. This pointer is more efficient than some others so it doesn't need heavier wires. It also has good battery life.
Frank View attachment 1073856
View attachment 1073863

You're right about battery life. I've replaced my battery once since I got it.
I just got rid of the original piece of junk Chinese battery that came with it when I replaced my replacement switch.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought one when I first started out and when it crapped out on me I took it back and they replaced it.I did that 6X before I finally gave up and got a Garrett pro pointer.The only problem is if you modify it they won't let you exchange yours the only reason they let me exchange mine was because I never modified it.Still have a brand new one in my toolbox to find nails in the wall.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not the pinpointer, electronics work better when cooled, but alas batteries have a chemical reaction that can actually be stopped with enough cooling. Frank View attachment 1073837
View attachment 1073838

Yes but the ambient temperature definitely affects the way these things work. When it gets hot, the thing starts squealing even with the sensitivity cranked all the way down until it's cooled. It's TOO sensitive.

When it's too cold, you can't increase the sensitivity. Many people drill a hole over the internal adjustment pot and adjust it depending on the temperature of the air. I haven't needed to do that yet but next time it's apart I will. That way I can just stick a small screwdriver in and adjust accordingly.

Since re setting that internal adjustment it works WAY better and I don't want to change it unless I have to. I think I found the "sweet spot".

Oh, and I did the ring trick as an experiment. It almost DOUBLES the range. Apparently that'll work on any pinpointer; not just this one.

You place a metal ring or washer on the shaft close to the box. Slide it forward until the thing starts beeping then back it off until it stops. Then, just tape it in place.
It works amazingly well.

Some people leave a little room to slide it when necessary, again, depending on the ambient temperature. I don't know what the mechanics are as far as this "super tune" trick goes but I do know that not only does it work, but it works very well.

The Cen- Tech continues to function reliably as well as improve with each and every modification.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought one when I first started out and when it crapped out on me I took it back and they replaced it.I did that 6X before I finally gave up and got a Garrett pro pointer.The only problem is if you modify it they won't let you exchange yours the only reason they let me exchange mine was because I never modified it.Still have a brand new one in my toolbox to find nails in the wall.

The thing is, if you don't modify it it WILL stop working, and usually sooner rather than later. You can pretty much guarantee that much.
If I had to take a wild guess I would guess that your switches kept crapping out maybe?? Or, you took it out on a hot day and it wouldn't stop squealing??

I'm not worried at all about voiding my warranty because I have no money in it anyway. I knew that when I went into this misadventure.
It's no pro pointer but once you fix the fatal flaws and do a good job at it it actually works very well.

The super tune trick really makes it way better as well. Wish I had known about that one earlier on. It's amazing how much the range increases from adding a little metal to the shaft.

Last edited:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually seen one modified where the box stayed attached at the belt and the guy had added like an old telephone curly cord to the probe and all he had in the hole was the pole from the unit. Same problems with the switch and the sensitivity adjuster.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually seen one modified where the box stayed attached at the belt and the guy had added like an old telephone curly cord to the probe and all he had in the hole was the pole from the unit. Same problems with the switch and the sensitivity adjuster.

I believe I've seen that one myself.

Another guy mounted his on the end of a long pole to pinpoint while standing. My question is, if you can pinpoint in a standing position, what's the point really??
Unless you bring someone along to dig the hole you still need to drop to the ground to retrieve you target.

Some of these mods can get quite elaborate. I've seen many on YouTube. I opted to just keep mine simple and functional so far.

I never bothered with putting a vibrating motor inside. I just don't need it. Otoh, it would be real handy if the chime decided to stop functioning at any time. Having a backup is never a bad idea. That's one I may eventually add over the winter when it's too cold to hunt.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread