OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I haven't been back at metal detecting very long, but I've learned a few things that I consider worthwhile. Thought I might pass on a few observations, and maybe inspire others to do the same. Not exactly the Wisdom of Solomon coming here, but it might be useful to some. At least I'm willing to flatter myself by thinking so.

a) Craigslist and Tnet classifieds have better prices on used detectors than even Ebay (although Ebay will occasionally have a pretty good deal). Be patient, and look often.

b) I haven't found anything that digs dirt better or holds up better than Lesche. (although you can buy a damned good soil knife made by Fiskars on Ebay for 10 or 11 bucks, that is made of heavy steel, and is welded. But if you buy the Fiskars product, use a file to remove the coin-destroying/thigh-penetrating tip before taking it out in the field.

c) I went through 3 pairs of cheap modern headphones before I discovered that 70's vintage high-quality stereo headphones that are built like a battle-tank can be found on Ebay for $10-$15. They NEVER break.

d) Most detectors, and a Lesche 18" shovel, spare batteries, lunch, water, gloves, kneepads, and just about anything you want to take on a woods dig will fit comfortably in a 45L internal frame hiking backpack (just in case you don't want everyone and their brother knowing why you happen to be going into that particular stretch of woods.)

e) a Cheap (Ebay) fly fishing vest holds a lot of stuff (and has a place to sew your pinpointer holster on the front of.

f) The hobby is much more enjoyable if you own a decent pinpointer.

g) Smart detectors are far more likely to false on round trash, than irregular shaped trash.

h) Set your disc low, and then dig as much as your physical condition will allow you to dig.

Anyone else have any free advice?

Upvote 0

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Research the areas you want to hunt and go where the people are of have been.
Get out there every chance you can!

Nice post.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The wisdom of Soloman:

Spend less time reading our opinions and tips, and more time detecting. Your treasures will multiply.. :skullflag:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
listen to what others have to say and weigh it carefully, and there is no such thing as a stupid question if you really don't know... although sometimes the answer is more obvious than we realize and therefore redundant to most. there are a lot of people out there with a lot of experience and their knowledge can really help.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't forget the "Back up Batteries or Battery Pods if in the field for awhile! Have more than one detector!
Follow your intuition! It's your buddy! Thank you for the tips!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ALWAYS, ALWAYS check your hole again before covering and leaving.
luvsdux

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On wood hunts don't forget the TP ... :thumbsup:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Learn what your detector is telling you and SLOW DOWN.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
A bottle of water might serve you well. Both in quenching your thirst, and rinsing off a coin. DON'T RUB THE DIRT INTO THE COINS! It lowers the value if the coin happens to be of value.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Don't just grab your detector and run to the local park. Rise above that. Go to the library and hunt down those old parks, fairgrounds, swimming holes and those old back yards where the rich have lived. That is unless you enjoy picking up clad and slaw.
Frank...-
five star.png

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Respect the land and fill your holes and take any rubbish with you. You'll know you've done it right if it looks like you've never been there. Practice makes perfect.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Perfect your digging techniques in your own yard. Observe the grass every day to see if it dies and how well your holes hold up. Do this before getting permission to hunt a nice private lawn and leaving dead spots of grass everywhere.

No matter where you are hunting, always clean up your mess from digging and make it look as if you were never there. Even if you are on the beach, a sidewalk tear-out, or in the woods, ALWAYS FILL YOUR HOLES! It only takes a few seconds. Leave unfilled holes anywhere makes you look like a lazy bum and will only have negative consequences.

You know the old story about the ONE guy who littered at the river and got the fishing spot closed down? That same concept applies to this hobby too. The ONE guy who trashed the property gets it shut down for us all.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I have one that I often forget. Relax and have FUN. IMO this is a hobby. It should be fun and (maybe) relaxing.

I often find myself taking this hobby way too seriously. Keep your expectations realistic, lighten up and have a little fun.

GL&HH!

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When detecting a park, pray you don't get a good signal under that fresh pile of dog poo!

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're exhausted from your ton of research (spending the last hour Googling), and find yourself getting annoyed because people won't say what you want them to when you ask..."what's the best detector for the cheapest money"?

Find another hobby...I hear that watching youtube vids of cats playin the piano and monkeys throwin poo is both free and easy!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When detecting at the beach be sure to wear mirrored sunglasses so the pretty babes don't see you staring at them. At the beach pay attention to the newly arrived sweat hogs that are going to go in the water, 😄 watch where they put their rings if they put them on towel or blanket or in a bag because when they leave they may leave the rings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread