Need help with mystery reading

Faush

Jan 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

I was searching a yard and having decent luck, finding a few rings and various coins and keys. Came across a target that read a strong 97-99 on the AT Pro and a very attainable depth (10-15cm range). We dug it and dug but found nothing. The odd fact is that the Garret Pinpointer, working perfectly on everything else, shows no signs of finding anything anywhere near the whole. The At Pro consistently shows the target on our now very large, but empty hole. The Pin Pointer draws a blank.

I have never had a reading in that range, so am interested to find the source, but seem to be chasing a ghost.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

bikermike

Jul 14, 2012
Stillwater, OK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, 6.5x9 coil, 4.5 sniper coil, 5x8DD coil, Garrett AT Gold, Centec pinpointer, Garrett pro pointer, Ames digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Faush,

It sounds like you have a larger, deeper object. Remember your machine only gives you a best guess as to what and how deep an object is.

Mike

TxFlag

Greenie
Jul 29, 2014
Austin TX
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Adventure 5500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I have had that happen it has been some larger piece of metal buried deep. The last time it happened to me it was a block of concrete with rebar at two feet down.

If you pickup your coil off the ground several inches and it keeps signaling...its large. That is how I get an indication of what I'm really looking at before I dig.

I dig, I learn, and I remember for next time. Hope that helps.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I have had that happen it has been some larger piece of metal buried deep. The last time it happened to me it was a block of concrete with rebar at two feet down.

If you pickup your coil off the ground several inches and it keeps signaling...its large. That is how I get an indication of what I'm really looking at before I dig.

I dig, I learn, and I remember for next time. Hope that helps.

Good advice there and I've heard it before. Lift the coil up as much as a foot off the ground. If you still get a solid signal/tone, it's likely a large piece of junk.

Eddie Current

May 17, 2011
Flooorida
Detector(s) used
CTX /AT Pro / Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with the other comments here... but I would keep digging just to find out what is at the bottom of the hole... Ya never know!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got some real good advice there sounds like a very large deep piece of rusty iron.
You're liable to dig down and find a wellhead... But who knows

dale68

Jan 12, 2009
Since u mentioned depth in cm. If u r in europe be careful digging deep iron due to possible WW2 ordinance.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now you have to dig it and report back. No excuses. :)

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
could be that buried jar of coins, could be junk, still only one way to find out for sure.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Keep digging. It sounds like a treasure chest full of gold.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
one of two --a deeper target or the "imfamous" disappearing" item signal --both iron and aluminum foil are known to do this --a wad of aluminum foil will produce high numbers * but as it ages it breaks down to almost nothing--the wad will ring up but once the wads busted up --tiny little bits of flakes --the signal poof diapers --happen with rusty iron items that have basically rusted away to dust too --keep a eye out for rusty soil and ultra fine aluminum bits *

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
OK, You didn't mention how deep you actually dug. Or if the signal is getting louder or lower. This makes a difference. Did you check the target from the sides to see how big it is?
Here's what I am getting at. You might have dug in the center of a hollow round object like a wheel rim from an old wagon wheel. Yes, I have done it on my farm with a post hole digger to 2 ' or so. When I checked the signal from the edge and dug there, I found the rim. Just a thought. Frank...- five star.png

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice there and I've heard it before. Lift the coil up as much as a foot off the ground. If you still get a solid signal/tone, it's likely a large piece of junk.
Or a jar of silver coins.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like junk...I actually tested a jar full of walkers and silver dollars once to see what it read as and it never went over 95 on my atp. Ive found a casche full of bullets before..about 10lbs and I figured it would max out..but it stayed in the high 60s

Usally when I get a 99..its always a big piece of iron.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah.. And I've had Axe heads in high nineties ..even zero it out.

ga/digger

Dec 10, 2013
deep in the woods
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, flat black pinpointer lost in the flat black woods. custom digger for privet and poison ivy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this what i found 4 feet deep from a 99 on my atp SANY0025.JPG Dug down the middle till a got to the bottom then dug to the sides. Had to float it out of the hole.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this what i found 4 feet deep from a 99 on my atp View attachment 1035976 Dug down the middle till a got to the bottom then dug to the sides. Had to float it out of the hole.

Thats actually pretty awesome!!...Id rather spend the time and energy digging that then a flat piece of siding or something

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imagine the plug on that dude wow! LoL

ga/digger

Dec 10, 2013
deep in the woods
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, flat black pinpointer lost in the flat black woods. custom digger for privet and poison ivy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and his bottomless brother 8 feet away rang up the same. It was only 3 feet down. I think the atp thought it was a ring. now it makes a pretty fire ring. SANY0050.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread