How can I modify a Bounty Hunter 202 to get more depth capability??

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm pretty new to this hobby but I'm beyond hooked. I can see why so many people start off with a simple detector and then want to upgrade in a relatively short time frame. I have two BH detectors, a Tracker IV I started off with and a BH 202 I "upgraded" to for a very small amount of money.

They both have the identical 8" coil.Don't get me wrong, I've done pretty darn good with both of these machines, I like them and I don't want to part with them, but for the old coins, I have a feeling that I'm just not getting the depth I need. I just feel that I should be finding at least SOME silver at some of my spots based on my research and the history and age of my locations but it's not showing up (yet). I'm getting wheaties and tons of clad but the older silver coins continue to elude me in normal soil.

I don't have the funds for an upgrade at this time so I'm thinking that maybe I can modify the 202 to make it better. It's definitely a more sensitive machine than the T4 but I believe there's always room for improvement.

For instance, will a 10" coil or a DD coil get me more depth?? I want to find silver and so far, all of the good silver I have found was in sand on top of red clay. IOW, they weren't really deep. Does a bigger coil mean more depth generally speaking??

I'm a low tech guy as far as electronics go but I do have a basic understanding. I'm a pretty good mechanic and if I can make this thing search deeper through some reasonably basic modification I would really like to try it.

So, what can I do, am I on the right track and is it even worth doing to this level of detector until I can get something really nice?? I would like anyone who knows to please respond. I'm all ears and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
proper hunting location might help -- remember often its not whats there now but rather what WAS there long ago --some of my best spots today are old vacant lots that used to have places on them long ago

using your tracker IV in ALL METAL mode will give you the best depth but "0" discrimation , so hunt in all metal to find stuff --then flip the toogle to tone or to disc mode to ID it * -- in disc mode to find gold with fewer pulltabs --- you must set your disc level properly -- if you want to know how call me --904 879- 3762

been metal detecting since 1979 -- and yes as a general rule --bigger coils mean more depth , while small coils are better in trashy spots (better target separation)

many old timers "high graded" when hunting --basically only digging silver sounding targets which gave a high ping sound --silver was easy pickings in the 80's with 30 coins a "normal " outing -- your spots most likely been hit before . so a lot of the silver most likely been sucked up --now the good news -- most didn't go for gold (they didn't want to sort thru a million pulltabs-- but with properly set up machine you might hit gold that the high graders passed up --since tabs and gold are similar..

tearing up your machines is not that great of a ideal --but learning a few tricks of the trade never hurt anyone --I used both of your machines in the past and can help you out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
been metal detecting since 1979 -- and yes as a general rule --bigger coils mean more depth , while small coils are better in trashy spots (better target separation)

This is what I'm trying to get at. If I invest a a better coil rather than an entirely new machine will there be a noticeable benefit?? I'm not talking about getting into the guts of the machine. I've seen some pretty good deals online and I always have my eyes on Craigslist where I bought both of my units at insanely low prices. I have just over 100 bucks in both machines, which justifies an investment in a better coil. (Craigslist is fantastic for deals)

I live in a fairly historic area and I have seen very few people metal detecting anywhere around here other than a few kids with very low end detectors in one or two specific spots that I don't even hunt. For instance, my very first spot yielded three rings in three days, a ton of clad and lots of assorted relics and junk. There's no way it's been picked clean by anyone or those rings would have been picked up long ago. I was using the Tracker IV at that time and they were really easy targets. I wasn't there 15 minutes and dug up my first 10K ring on my very first hunt. (beginners luck I guess)

My concern is also the type of soil in my area and whether or not these machines can get the depth with the stock 8" coils. They both do fine in the harder soil like red clay where objects don't sink really deep. I'm thinking that maybe a 10" or DD coil would really make a difference but I don't want to spend the money if it's not a noticeable and beneficial difference.

I also noticed that the 202 doesn't like certain sandy soil. I hit an area where it went absolutely crazy and I had to back the sensitivity way down to where it was almost useless.

I'm wondering if anyone has done this with these BH machines and if so, was it worth it, were they able to go over previously hunted spots and recover deeper targets, etc. by using bigger and better coils??

Oh, and thanks for the advice and tips. I appreciate it.

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
the gold you found rings * is at the "low end" of the metal spectrum as is nickles and pull tabs ---silver on the other hand is at the "high end" along with copper --that's why mid tone for nickles, gold and pulltabs ---but high tone "ping" for copper and silver --many old timers only dug high tone "pings" --copper and silver and by passed mid tones since there were often pulltabs ---but for those who were willing to dig or knew how to fine tune their discrimation -- mid tones means "gold"..

many of the old timers "high graded'---- only digging high "ping" tones ---which will yield silver and copper coins mainly --but which will leave gold and nickles and pulltabs behind with their 'older " machines" -- modern machine or even older machines if one knows how to fine tune them can clean up gold at places that have been high graded in the past..

oh red clay has iron it --- high mineral content in the soil can play hell with detectors as the machine can often see it as a "wall of metal" --the only thing to do is to turn down the sen /power level until the machine becomes stable --this in effect makes it less sensitive so it does not "see" the excessive minerals in the soil --you lose some depth but at least the machine is somewhat usible --in the old days they call this "ground balancing" -- you can only "push" as much signal as the ground mineral level will allow the ground to accept -- think of signal like rain water once the ground is "soaked" the rest will just pool on the surface --doing no good (actually it hurts) --also overhead power and buried powerlines can "leak" electric signals which can cause issues again sen /power down --salt water has dissolved minerals as well.

you will get a couple of extra inches of depth with a 10 inch DD coil ---next upgrade try a delta 4000 * about $279 new via kellyco --nice lil machine .

call me and I tell you some tricks -- 904 -879-3762 --Ivan.

note if beach hunting BH are fairly much dry sand only -- in wet sand the saltwater minerals dissolved in the seawater will cause you to have to dail back a lot to hunt wet sand and trying to hunt in the salt water forget about it..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the tips.

I have a pretty good understanding of the tones and where different metals hit on the scale. I'm specifically talking about hunting for deep silver and other older coins, jewelry, etc.

I found a Fisher 11" DD coil new for about 130 bucks. I'm not rushing out and buying it but I just have a feeling that for a reasonable amount of money I can "hot rod" this machine a bit and get more depth out of it.

Since I created this thread I've done a little research and I found that many people are doing just that, particularly with the BH 505. Kellyco advertises that very coil on their site for that particular machine specifically. I emailed them today to make sure it's also compatible with the 202. From what I understand, they're not that much different.

I'm also thinking even a 10" coil may help. Some of the BH detectors come stock with them. I don't know how much more depth you get but they're not that expensive.

Whatever I do, I'm keeping my 8" coil and since I have two detectors, I'll just mount the bigger coil and have it available for a quick change any time I need it.

Also, the only beach hunting I've done so far has been on a fresh water lake beach. Had my best day ever I might add and need to get back there. I've also noticed that the 202 doesn't like sandy soil but it doesn't seem to faze that Tracker IV.

The T4 is probably one of the most under rated detectors out there. I know many people seem to see them as toys but I found my first gold, silver, Indian head penny and tons of clad and other stuff with that thing. It's great as a backup or if my son or someone else comes along. I can't complain about it one bit, especially given the fact that I only paid 30 bucks for it. It is what it is but for what it is, it's quite capable.

I appreciate you giving your contact info. You may be hearing from me. I also appreciate your advice and expertise. Th
Thanks.

Last edited:

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett, I was in your shoes a little over three years ago. I started with a BH 101 bought at a flea market before I even knew anything about metal detecting. Soon after upgraded to a BH 505. Then added a 4" and an 11" coil for it. It did what I wanted, better separation and more depth respectively. The greatest adjustment I made to my hunting was changing and or finding different places to hunt. So called virgin ground if you will, even though I have no clue if it had ever been hunted before. There will come a time and I've seen it happen more than once, when you may or may not be satisfied with your current set up any more. To some it never happens and for others I seen guys upgrade detectors w accessories before they could even get through the learning curve of that equipment. I pretty much exhausted the ability on the 505 for where I hunted and they type of hunting I wanted to do. I knew I was leaving stuff in the ground. Then came the AT Pro. That lasted a year and was a good machine. I will never get rid of it and use it as a tag along/backup for the Minelab Etrac I bought a few months ago. In your first post you say " I'm beyond hooked". What you have to ask yourself is how far are you willing go financially and physically in this hobby. Financially meaning money and physically meaning researching, door knocking, park pounding all over your county and state or beyond. If your beyond hooked and can financially handle it and will physically do the work then save yourself the money you will most likely loose selling your second hand detector and accessories to upgrade to a higher quality machine. Sit down and figure how far you can and will go in this hobby then scrounge, save, do what ever to find the money to buy the best detector for the type of hunting you want to do. It will save you money in the long run. After you've done the research for that ultimate machine it will only be a matter of learning it and squeezing everything out of it and continually finding the best ground to hunt. I had over $500+ dollars in my 505 and access. Couldn't sell it locally or on several forums. Ended up posting it on Flea Bay and somebody got a heck of a deal at $169. Hunter

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
yep know your "limits" --some folks for an extra inch or two of depth will drop big bucks --others say --it not worth the cash --what level of detectorist do you really want to be?--some folks really GO PRO and invest a lot of time and money -- others are happy weekend warrior types - (semi serious ) and others just piddle around a bit (not too serious) -- how much time,.effort and money do you really want to "invest" knowing you may or may not see a "solid return" on the investment? -- a word of friendly advice --do it because you like it , not because you think you'll get rich...

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett, I was in your shoes a little over three years ago. I started with a BH 101 bought at a flea market before I even knew anything about metal detecting. Soon after upgraded to a BH 505. Then added a 4" and an 11" coil for it. It did what I wanted, better separation and more depth respectively. The greatest adjustment I made to my hunting was changing and or finding different places to hunt. So called virgin ground if you will, even though I have no clue if it had ever been hunted before. There will come a time and I've seen it happen more than once, when you may or may not be satisfied with your current set up any more. To some it never happens and for others I seen guys upgrade detectors w accessories before they could even get through the learning curve of that equipment. I pretty much exhausted the ability on the 505 for where I hunted and they type of hunting I wanted to do. I knew I was leaving stuff in the ground. Then came the AT Pro. That lasted a year and was a good machine. I will never get rid of it and use it as a tag along/backup for the Minelab Etrac I bought a few months ago. In your first post you say " I'm beyond hooked". What you have to ask yourself is how far are you willing go financially and physically in this hobby. Financially meaning money and physically meaning researching, door knocking, park pounding all over your county and state or beyond. If your beyond hooked and can financially handle it and will physically do the work then save yourself the money you will most likely loose selling your second hand detector and accessories to upgrade to a higher quality machine. Sit down and figure how far you can and will go in this hobby then scrounge, save, do what ever to find the money to buy the best detector for the type of hunting you want to do. It will save you money in the long run. After you've done the research for that ultimate machine it will only be a matter of learning it and squeezing everything out of it and continually finding the best ground to hunt. I had over $500+ dollars in my 505 and access. Couldn't sell it locally or on several forums. Ended up posting it on Flea Bay and somebody got a heck of a deal at $169. Hunter

Thanks for the tips.

I definitely plan to upgrade, probably in the spring because I HATE cold weather and can't see myself out there digging up frozen, snow covered ground. I hate the thought of giving it up for a few months but I'm also a realist.

I'm already doing the research , making the calls and knocking on doors. I'm actually trying to get into what I know is a hot location that's never been hunted but I can't reach the owner after more than 3 weeks of daily trying. I'm actually trying again today. I won't stop until I at least ask.

I was stopped by a State park ranger for digging on property adjacent to the state park yesterday but I explained that I had gotten permission and gave the name of the individual who allowed me to go in. I was in sales for a while and I have no problem getting people to allow me access. I haven't been turned down yet.

So yeah, I'm all into it. Given the fact that I have only had the 202 for 15 days I'm just not ready for an upgrade at this time. If I had lots of money to burn I would be but I like the idea of letting this equipment pay for itself as I go along. There's no rush. I believe that things happen when they're supposed to happen.

I haven't hit silver with the 202 yet and I was just wondering if the 11" DD coil would be a help or a hindrance on this machine and if it's even worth doing. I know a deal will present itself. It always happens once I make up my mind, put my intention out there and keep my eyes open. I was just thinking why not spruce up what I have a bit?? But if it's not a great improvement I won't do it. I'm just looking for some feedback from others who have tried it.

As far as used equipment goes, If it does what I want it to do I have no problem with it. There are deals out there. I've bought many guitars the same way. People buy them, realize that there is time, practice and work involved and put them down. Eventually, they sell them at ridiculous prices. I picked up a nice Fender Strat with a Telecaster neck about two months ago for 20 bucks from some kid at a yard sale. He was asking 30.00. I asked his Mom if she knew what he was doing and she said 20.00 was fine, smiled and took my money. They had zero interest in that instrument.

I check Craigslist daily. There are tons of detectors for sale, many virtually unused. I bought my 202 from a woman who lost her wedding ring in the grass, used it once and sold it to me for 70.00. When I decide what I want I'll check and if one doesn't show up I'll get a new one. But there's no rush.

I cannot see getting tired of this hobby. I've had an interest for about 25 years but I've been busy raising kids and other things. They're all grown now so I have lots of time. I had a really crappy Radio Shack Micronta 4003 VLF detector years ago and I have always intended to get a decent machine when the proper time came and never lost interest. Throughout that time I have always collected coins and old stuff, did lots of creek walking looking for relics, old bottles, etc. It's always been something I'm interested in.

I've mentioned in a few other posts that the only thing that compares to this hobby is when I took up becoming a musician when I was very young. Needless to say I'm still playing almost 40 years later. It's almost a compulsion. This hobby feels the same to me so yes, I'm serious about it. Since I've been a coin collector my entire life it's that much better.

So yeah, I'm in, willing to do the work and spending the money when I need to. I'm also a patient man and not in a big hurry with anything. The journey is half the fun.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yep know your "limits" --some folks for an extra inch or two of depth will drop big bucks --others say --it not worth the cash --what level of detectorist do you really want to be?--some folks really GO PRO and invest a lot of time and money -- others are happy weekend warrior types - (semi serious ) and others just piddle around a bit (not too serious) -- how much time,.effort and money do you really want to "invest" knowing you may or may not see a "solid return" on the investment? -- a word of friendly advice --do it because you like it , not because you think you'll get rich...

We all like finding valuable stuff but that's not why I do this. I enjoy it. My sons are beginning to show interest as well which makes it all the better.

I am enjoying expanding my coin collection but honestly, I've NEVER sold a single coin in my entire life (except some rare gold coins that WERE bought as an investment). I haven't sold any of my MD treasures either. I still have the first (and only) Mercury dime I dug up almost 25 years ago with my crummy Micronta VLF machine. That's when I really got the bug but never had the time to properly invest in the hobby. I had a wife, 4 kids , work, a business, etc. There just wasn't enough time to get into the hobby seriously.

Sure, when something pays for itself it's great but to me, that's just an added benefit. I just feel grateful and keep moving on when it happens. Honestly, my detectors have paid for themselves but I didn't pay retail. I also never looked at them as an investment any more than if I buy a guitar I want to play as an investment. Although I sometimes make money playing and my instruments have all paid for themselves over time, that's not why I play. I play because it's a passion. It's something I was born to do.

I'm a passionate person and I also have an addictive personality. It took me years to learn that it was a gift when I chose to channel that into positive activities rather than those that cause me harm but hey, we all live and learn. Life is a learning process.

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
For what it's worth. I started with a BH Lone Star (for 3 months) then went to an AT Pro (for 4 months)... now I have been using a Deus for the last 2 months. I have only been hunting since the start of 2014.

The AT Pro worked like a charm after I learned to use it... the Deus is really nice... light, fast & wireless. I would save your money and go for a machine in the $600 range (minimum).

A lot of people that I talk with concentrate on depth. I RARELY if ever dig a hole more than 8" deep. I just don't see myself digging 12" holes in the public places that I hunt. I have dug 23 silvers since April 5th... 13 with the Deus in less than 2 months... including a Walker, a Franklin and a large cent... in a public school that has been hit by eveyone for 30 years. None of the silvers were deeper than 8". I do not believe that there are many (any) coins that are really deep around here. From my experience, the higher end machines find more treasure.

I specifically hunt for silver coins... that is my target of choice. Here is what I believe are the 4 factors that govern my success:

1. The machine: You have to have a machine capable of finding what you are looking for.
2. Understanding the machine. You have to understand what the machine is telling you. This comes from practice practice paractice! Once you have the basic idea of how a detector works, the learning curve isn't that bad when you switch machines.
3. The spot: You have to be at a place that has your target. You can not find silver if it is not there. Old schools and parks... old houses or lots... especailly if they have not been available to other detectorists. MD guys are a brutal bunch... every place should be thought of as having been hunted... most have.
4. Luck: You have to be lucky. I out hunt people that are way better hunters than I am. Part of luck might be a relentless pursuit of the target (persistance).

Remember, when you look at TNet, the best hunters in the world are what you are looking at. The silver coins they find are NOT typical of the average hunter. I find silver coins one at the time... a little more than one per week average. It just plain aint easy!

I hope that my opinions are of some value to you. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me. I have seen your posts, you are not doing bad. Oh yeah, most impotantly, have fun and enjoy yourself.
Carolina Tom.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For what it's worth. I started with a BH Lone Star (for 3 months) then went to an AT Pro (for 4 months)... now I have been using a Deus for the last 2 months. I have only been hunting since the start of 2014.

The AT Pro worked like a charm after I learned to use it... the Deus is really nice... light, fast & wireless. I would save your money and go for a machine in the $600 range (minimum).

A lot of people that I talk with concentrate on depth. I RARELY if ever dig a hole more than 8" deep. I just don't see myself digging 12" holes in the public places that I hunt. I have dug 23 silvers since April 5th... 13 with the Deus in less than 2 months... including a Walker, a Franklin and a large cent... in a public school that has been hit by eveyone for 30 years. None of the silvers were deeper than 8". I do not believe that there are many (any) coins that are really deep around here. From my experience, the higher end machines find more treasure.

I specifically hunt for silver coins... that is my target of choice. Here is what I believe are the 4 factors that govern my success:

1. The machine: You have to have a machine capable of finding what you are looking for.
2. Understanding the machine. You have to understand what the machine is telling you. This comes from practice practice paractice! Once you have the basic idea of how a detector works, the learning curve isn't that bad when you switch machines.
3. The spot: You have to be at a place that has your target. You can not find silver if it is not there. Old schools and parks... old houses or lots... especailly if they have not been available to other detectorists. MD guys are a brutal bunch... every place should be thought of as having been hunted... most have.
4. Luck: You have to be lucky. I out hunt people that are way better hunters than I am. Part of luck might be a relentless pursuit of the target (persistance).

Remember, when you look at TNet, the best hunters in the world are what you are looking at. The silver coins they find are NOT typical of the average hunter. I find silver coins one at the time... a little more than one per week average. It just plain aint easy!

I hope that my opinions are of some value to you. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me. I have seen your posts, you are not doing bad. Oh yeah, most impotantly, have fun and enjoy yourself.
Carolina Tom.

Thanks for your input and great information.

The more I think about it, the more I think I'll just start saving up for at least a mid range detector. I think I've done okay with what I have, but like you, I too am after silver coins. So far I have 4. I also like any old coins silver or not.

Rather than getting the DD coil for my BH machine (which will cost more than I spent on both machines), I'm thinking the 10" will do just as well based on what I have read over the last few days. They're pretty affordable too.

Once the weather gets cold and I'm stuck indoors I'll start saving . I have a ton of clad I'm cashing in soon and that will be the start of my fund for a better detector.

I'm also doing lots more research on hunting spots. I finally found some old maps just last night that I believe will be very helpful in what I'm trying to do. My best day yet was at an awesome location which I hope to hit again this coming Friday if everything works the way I hope. I have a slightly better detector this time and hopefully I'll see if I can find anything my T4 missed.

Thanks again and you may be hearing from me as well. I appreciate all the help.

HH

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh well,

I was just informed by my boss that my planned Friday hunt is off until at least Tuesday. I have to help him move some stuff.

That's the way it goes I guess. I'm not complaining. I have the coolest employer in the world but I was really looking forward to hitting my hot spot this week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread