Any of you ever travel from the US to Canada to detect public parks?

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work 20 minutes from the border in Detroit, and thought it might be fun to head over to Windsor after work on Saturday to dig Canadian money for a change of pace.

Does anyone know what the rules are being a guy who doesn't live in Canada? I can't really find any solid info.

If parks are illegal to detect in Windsor, I'll end up knocking on doors and going that route.

Upvote 0

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I go to Sarnia all the time and hit the beaches and parks. I tell the customs officer that I am going to detect the parks. Remember that Canadian coins are magnetic and have steel in them so the VDI numbers are all messed up. Good Luck and Happy Hunting. Ask the Windsor Police if you can detect the parks see what they say.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be better to ask local detectorists or to look up the laws yourself. Asking ANY official can bring personal or political bias into the equation.

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's definitely true. I've learned from the stories here that you never wanna ask any officials for permission to dig a place where I can find out the legality another way. I guess that's why I was asking here.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My response was mainly directed to Jim's advice and interaction with "officials". Even if you get an approval from them, it's not a good thing. We need to keep in the background and not bring what we do to anyone's attention. When government gets to thinking about things, they start seeing dollar signs with permits and regulations. Definitely not something we want because you just know they're going to bring archies into the discussion and you can bet how bad that will turn out.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
​I go up to canada often and never had any body say a word to me about detecting … I just go and detect never checked with the local officials or the "OPP". And never had a problem up there..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread