Jun 22, 2013
Cedar Rapids IA area
Detector(s) used
Manticore
AT Pro
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's too dry around here to hit yards in the area like usual. I'm thinking of hitting a couple of local creeks with the AT Pro. The bottom of creeks in this area are rocky though and I'm confident filled w/ all kinds of aluminum bits.

Any advice from a seasoned creek hunter? What tools would you bring? Sand scoop doesn't make sense. Rubber gloves or others?

Upvote 0

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's rough hunting a creek with large rocks. You will have to pick in between them but that's where the stuff settles. Scoops won't work as you said. If your not in a good location with some history it will get old real fast (at least it did for me). Find a spot where people swim that has a sandy type bottom and scoop for the goods.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Googles, snorkel and waterproofed pinpointer....

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Send Detcetahead a PM...he hunts rocky creeks and makes some great finds...he knows what hes doing.

OP
OP
F

Fourman110

Jun 22, 2013
Cedar Rapids IA area
Detector(s) used
Manticore
AT Pro
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm headed into the creek tomorrow. The one I'm hitting has a rocky small cliff on one side with a staircase leading to a flat metal step about 4 ft off the water. I'm guessing it was a platform for jumping in. Might be an old swimming spot. I figure I'll start upstream a couple of yards then back down stream a piece. I wonder how far downstream to go....

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would bring a small pick and a shovel.Some stuff tends to be pretty deep in creeks.Even a modern can will bury itself pretty deep over time

Last edited:

medicstone1982

Greenie
Aug 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for any crossings. ..Try both sides of the crossing and down stream from it

OP
OP
F

Fourman110

Jun 22, 2013
Cedar Rapids IA area
Detector(s) used
Manticore
AT Pro
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a fairly small creek and I only spent about 1/2 an hour in it. I could tell that there was a small dam down stream about 100yds or so that must have raised the water level up several feet. While it's been dry in the area this summer, it was only up to crotch-ish level around where I imagine the jumping platform was located. The water is pretty full of sediment, but yet very rocky. As I don't have water proof headphones (yet) and I didn't have gloves, I wasn't really prepapred to move things around much. I tried to use my sand scoop to at least shove rocks out of the way, but for the most part there were more rocks under the rocks I moved.

Down stream I found a bit of a sand bar and ran into a lonely clad penny. Kind of a bust for my 1/2 hr, but I'm convinced there probably haven't been a lot of people in the creek MDing. The parks been around since about 1900 so it has some history.

What kind of gloves would you bring?

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A powerful magnet on the base of your pickhandle and A lanyard on your detector and propointer. There's also videos online on how to make underwater viewers.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be on the lower side of the dam detecting areas that are now dry or shallow that used to be underwater.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread