All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Dave, I'm lucky that the site, before and after razing, has always beem well maintained. It still is. Its a 15 acrea site with 3 kids ball fields. That still leaves a lot of empty space to explore.

Then GET YOU SOME. And don't be afraid to dig down into the foil range either. Some (most?) of those old-timers were high grading, and they walked right over the stuff that wasn't silver. There might be gold in that there field. Dig it up and thank them for being so picky.

Also, take a look at Tom Dankowski's articles on silent masking. (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links to here or not, so Google it to be safe.) The guys that hit that field before you missed stuff. It's a fact. Your job is to figure out how to find it. It won't be easy, but stuff is there if you're willing to dig the holes in order to root it out. By Mr. Dankowski's reasoning (which is backed by his finds on one particular site, although that's not the site that you or I are working), 95% of the good stuff is still in the ground, but masked and/or too deep to locate with VLF detectors. It's something to think about for those played out sites.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would hunt it and I would be even more interested if I heard it was hunted out because then I know the deep stuff is most likely still there.
My Garrett VLF can go so far (80's tech.) My Minelab is a different story. There could be some really nice silver waiting.
One school that I detected had soil trucked in on one area. It was a 1950's built school but I found a
Nova Constellatio with no date (1783-1786) very deep in that area. Many MD's had scanned that same area.
HH!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
That old school grounds has been beat to death. If you think you can go there and find one silver, bring a Etrac, and please, show us the find.

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That spoon was silver plated copper that could have been a very nice coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread