Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's what I'm looking for.

I have some gel knee pads that I bought from Lowes about 10 years ago. They worked for the job I was on, but they hurt to wear after a while, and they don't fasten well. If I get them tight enough to hold on, they hurt when I kneel - If I loosen them to a reasonable comfort-level, they slip.

Any advice and comments are welcome. What do you folks use? :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like these

51UVcJQEF1L._SX355_.jpg

I got mine at the Home Depot

only downside the Straps can bust if you're as Rough with things as I am.

so I bought a few packs of straps for emergencies

Tool Country USA | Quality Tile Installation Tools and Supplies, Power Tools, Hand Tools, Shop Tools, Building Tools

using the same pads 10 years or more

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
find some with Velcro straps. Work well but its easier for me to squat rather kneel so I stopped wearing tem

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
find some with Velcro straps. Work well but its easier for me to squat rather kneel so I stopped wearing tem

Problem I find with Velcro Everything sticks to it. Especially Dried leaves

mouseman60

Jul 9, 2014
Detector(s) used
Mxt pro
I use a foam pad that painters need on. Only problem is you have to carry it with you. The good side is that it is light.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I took a pair that had the hard plastic shields on the front which I totally hated and cut them off. then glued some leather from an old heavy leather purse on the fronts and then added length to the velcro for more comfort. now I love them. bought them originally at a thrift shop for $1

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only wear one (on my right knee). Hard shell gel pad (AWP brand).

Like it pretty good, but it will make your knee sweaty enough to blister after about 5 or 6 hours.

I've often thought about sewing a waterproof closed-cell foam pad onto the knee of a pair of Carhartt Overalls. Been too lazy to do it yet, but I think that would work great.

Cherokee Dan

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetics 4000 Garrett Pin Pointer
AT Pro, Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What mouseman 60 said. you can tie a chord onto the pad and to your belt. Works great.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get a pair of these! Two years old and STILL going! Sears.com

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back again. Have a look at these, you guys. Super Flexible Knee Pads

I'm going to swing by HF and get a couple pair. They are cheap enough that I can do a lot of experimenting. I got lots of leather, and I can definitely stitch. Maybe these with a hearty leather cover on the front would work well?

Also in my research, it looked like Duluth Trading Company has a nice pair (although you cant tell because they always show you some stupid kitschy drawn artsy fartsy pic instead of what it really looks like).

steveo40

May 10, 2014
I use those harbor freight knee pads. They are comfortable and can wear them a long time. Only problem so far is that I have to really stretch the straps and then the Velcro lets go. This problem is just starting to happen after a year of using them so the Velcro is wearing out or my legs are getting fatter. I am going to sew on a little longer piece of Velcro and should 've good to go. These harbor freight cheapese work for me.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am using Army Surplus kneepads that have a hard plastic kneecap over padded material with double Velcro top and bottom. They fit great, don't move around and don't pinch when kneeling. Best part is they were $3 each.

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use those harbor freight knee pads. They are comfortable and can wear them a long time. Only problem so far is that I have to really stretch the straps and then the Velcro lets go. This problem is just starting to happen after a year of using them so the Velcro is wearing out or my legs are getting fatter. I am going to sew on a little longer piece of Velcro and should 've good to go. These harbor freight cheapese work for me.

Good to know, SteveO. I'll probably have to do the same. I'm guessing the pads are nice and light and flexible. Hey even if they only last a year, they're only $5.99 a pair anyway.

steveo40

May 10, 2014
They will start to stink after a while too. Just throw them in the laundry and your good to go.

lovelylea

Oct 3, 2011
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I used these also, I find that the Velcro is a bit cheap. But at only $4.oo who can complain. After using them for a while they slipped and would not stay on snug. I only use for 1 knee. The thing I do like is they are thin, not bulky like some I have seen here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread