Storing batteries in Metal Detectors - Long term?

Fossil4Life

Jul 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the consensus of leaving Alkaline or rechargeable batteries in your metal detector? Should they be removed after every use, or is it okay to keep them in the device for months at a time?

Do today's metal detectors have built-in circuitry so that batteries can be left in without fear of the batteries leaking acid, corroding and/or swelling up? I have a new X-Terra 705, and would like to know what you folks think as you are far more knowledgeable than I. :dontknow:

Upvote 0

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i take the batteries out even for short term storage......like longer than overnight

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I leave mine in until they need to be replaced or the pack needs to be recharged depending on the detector. It happens A LOT so they don't get a chance to go bad.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I leave mine in until they need to be replaced or the pack needs to be recharged depending on the detector. It happens A LOT so they don't get a chance to go bad.
Yes i do as … RobRieman … does leave mine in till they need replaced or recharged ..

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is the consensus of leaving Alkaline or rechargeable batteries in your metal detector? Should they be removed after every use, or is it okay to keep them in the device for months at a time?

Do today's metal detectors have built-in circuitry so that batteries can be left in without fear of the batteries leaking acid, corroding and/or swelling up? I have a new X-Terra 705, and would like to know what you folks think as you are far more knowledgeable than I. :dontknow:

short term = ok, long term = sending to factory for repair after batteries leak. The ones in a plastic pack like Minelab uses is probably safer than an open tray.
I forgot that I had 9V's in my Garrett one time and they leaked. A lengthy time period went by because I didn't need that detector (two-box), I was using my Minelab detector.
It was a trip to factory to fix the Garrett and they are great service people BTW!

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Take them out when not in use. One leaker can ruin your investment quickly. Even a new battery can leak.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No longer than two weeks at idle.
I won't risk battery leakage.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rechargeables stay in my detector until they go dead. Alkalines are removed if they're to be stored more than a week. I do keep them installed in my spare battery packs however. I just keep the akaline battery packs stored separately and in an area where leaks won't cause collateral damage.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buying good quality batteries can sure make a difference as to their potential to leak. Especially 9V. Also storing detectors in a temperature controlled environment makes them less likely to leak. Think it is safe to say that storing it for any period over a week or two would justify removing the batteries, but I like many others often do not. I was hunting at least a couple of times a week and a new job has changed that, but still seldom go over a week or two without getting her out.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Having forgotten and made this mistake - I remove my batteries, period!!!

Destroyed a Tesoro due to my feeble mind forgetting.....

OP
OP
F

Fossil4Life

Jul 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason I was asking is that I have a Minelab Enviro cover for my X-Terra 705. Problem is, the cover goes over the battery compartment and it's a real pain having to remove the cover every time I need to install and remove batteries.

Anyhow, I picked up two sets of the Panasonic Eneloops. Will be removing the batteries every time I'm done with my 705. Thanks to all for the help and advice!

Last edited:

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The reason I was asking is that I have a Minelab Enviro cover for my X-Terra 705. Problem is, the cover goes over the battery compartment and it's a real pain having to remove the cover every time I need to install and remove batteries.

Anyhow, I picked up two sets of the Panasonic Eneloops. Will be removing the batteries every time I'm done with my 705. Thanks to all for the help and advice!

Just my opinion, but that sure seems like overkill. I have three detectors and the batteries stay in until they are done for the winter. Sometimes a detector may sit for a few weeks until it gets used again. A bad battery is a bad battery- it's gonna leak sitting or being used.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread