coin beach delaware

Stephen1

Aug 20, 2014
Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys! I'm heading down to coin beach next weekend to do some metal detecting. I was there last weekend without very much luck but I'm going to try my luck again. I was wondering what part of the beach I might have the best luck on to hopefully find something from the faithful steward wreck. Since there hasn't been a big storm lately Idk if I should be hunting the surf line or the dune line. I have a fisher f2 so the wet sand is out of the question. I'm also going to be detecting oc also around 75th street since there is a wreck located there also. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Both areas have been replenished so more then likely the best you will find is fresh drops. Maybe we will get some movement this fall with a storm....Best of Luck, and have a good time...You just never know.....

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted OC last week around 85th-87th street, dry sand only, and didn't find much. Only found a little bit of clad which were probably fresh drops as OBN said. This was up near the dune line. Areas around the "towel line" where everyone sits during the day were nearly devoid of any signals. Best of luck and HH.

OP
OP
Stephen1

Stephen1

Aug 20, 2014
Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That explains why coin beach was exceptionally clean. I did have some luck at rehoboth with most of my finds at about midway between surf and dunes. A bunch of clad and a silver ring with a piece of turquoise in it. I found a lot of junk to get that all though. It's unbelievable the amount of foil I found! Thanks for the reply and good luck!

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live local to OC and coin beach has been a dead spot for some time now. We haven't found much but trash especially close to the bridge. If you plan on going go away from the bridge walk towards the museum. OC has sucked for anything decent nothing but clad. Good luck but I say until we have a good storm role through its a waste of time

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I just saw This :(

if you get down again ,
there is a Square foundation in this general Area on the Waters Edge

Untitledww.jpg

it was in that area I found Mine

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That area has been filled with sand from the dredge by several feet deep. Only thing we found there recently was a large stack of giant washers funny thing was they apparently are to be used there for building stuff and they were so rusted we couldn't break them apart by hand and yet that's what they think is a good idea to use.

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck with the hunt. You never know!

troutbum

Sep 14, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXt 505, Tesoro Sand shark, Whites coinmaster pro. Tesoro Compadre.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, Stephen, Are you hitting the dry sand at coin beach, or the water. Dry sand is hard finding things , till we get storms as we did last week. Older coins you might have a better chance in the water at low tide. Here is a tip, Start at inlet , north side , start walking north , count about 13 telephone poles. That should put you near were the wreck is acttualy off shore. Look for cut's were the water washed the sand away . Always try after storms. Remeber finding stuff is great, but being there to do it is great also. I'll be down there next week. Good luck.:tchest:

OP
OP
Stephen1

Stephen1

Aug 20, 2014
Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was mainly hunting dry sand. I'm using a fisher f2 so I'm not really sure how well it does in the wet sand, I have to turn my sensitivity way down and I get a lot of false signals and if there is a coin under the sand I'm not sure if my detector is actually picking it up. When you say hunt the low tide line do you mean just the wet sand that was covered by high tide or are you actually in the surf in the trough where all of the shells and pebbles collect?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I live local to OC and coin beach has been a dead spot for some time now. We haven't found much but trash especially close to the bridge. If you plan on going go away from the bridge walk towards the museum. OC has sucked for anything decent nothing but clad. Good luck but I say until we have a good storm role through its a waste of time

Been my best year in years...

Maryland

troutbum

Sep 14, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXt 505, Tesoro Sand shark, Whites coinmaster pro. Tesoro Compadre.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stephen, your detector is fine for the dry sand, just tune it good. your machine is not right to detect the surf line or water. Stay in the dry sand and you will be OK. wet sand and water has to much minerlization for your MD. I use a VFL md for dry sand, and a PI for the wet sand and water. When you start detecting the beach, start at the top and go in a streight line towards the water, till you see were the sand starts to get dark from being wet. stop, move over and start in the other direction towards the dune. you'll get it. good luck.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been about 1 year since I last found any coins, and my daughter whooped me pretty good with her finds. Only thing I have found since they put up to 20 feet of sand on the wreck has been some clad and can slaw. Maybe later this winter.....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Later this winter arrived. I finally got out today and have a new White's TDI. It did ok, but I used the all metal mode because it wouldn't read a test British copper except in the low range. There wasn't a lot of metal on the small section of beach I was looking at. I hit the mid sand. One other person was looking in a trench, he found some sinkers. The TDI picked out an old iron can almost 3' deep. That was not fun. I finally spotted a new penny on the top of the sand and decided to look in the immediate area a little harder. Found a clad Roosevelt and let out the war whoop with a pristine 1781 Hibernia copper.

Last edited:

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets see the Hibernia!!!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll get a pic soon. Danged machine loves stainless fishhooks too. Actually, it looks like a 1781 not 1787. Reverse definitely better than obverse but this is the most readable copper I think I've ever found - anywhere. hibernia.jpg hibernia1.jpg

Last edited:

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a dandy for sure! Spring is coming............ :-) thanks for posting some pics!

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, I live local to the beach and its rare to find a coin anymore without some serious weather stir up.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this one was a leftover from Sandy. Probably was higher on the dune line and got washed down with the recent snowstorms. It's too good a condition to have been in the water this entire time. Clearest date I've found on one - this one's probably about #19 or 20. It's taken three full years to get this many. Due to the weight and poorly reeded edge my best guess is a contemporary counterfeit - which is better than the regular mint issues anyway.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We did have that jackass that came out a few years back and threw some fakes on the beach and there was no particular area that they were thrown. Apparently he covered the area well but with the weather etc I'm sure his fakes have been moved around. People like that need to have their detector inserted in their southern region and glued tight.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread