rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an ace 250 that i got as a gift back in april and i have literally been addicted ever since. My dilemma is, i feel like i am missing allot of goddies that are deeper than my 6x9 search coil, that came standard with this machine, is reaching. That being said, i have found more than enough in clad to purchase the 8.5x11 DD search coil and as money is a factor for me, is that a wise purchase or should i keep saving for something like the AT PRO or something comparable? Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated as you guys and gals are all gods and goddesses in the MD world. :notworthy: Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you answered your own question- Atpro or something comparable. All the way! You are obviously going to use it! good luck!

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150, ACE 350, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an ATPRO, a 350, and a 150. The 350 and 250 are somewhat similar as I have used a 250 before. I love my AT and will swing that one any day over my ACE. My recommendation is keep using the 6x9 and save for an AT Pro. You can even find used ones sometimes. Good luck.

Jublain

Oct 16, 2013
Des Arc, AR
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you dont plan on upgrading detectors, I say go for the bigger coil. I upgraded from the 6x9 to the 8.5x11 and it made a huge difference in depth and the target seperation is a ton better.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im sure your getting enough depth for most finds. You will need a better machine for more depth and sensitivity. Your hunt will dictate what coil to use and what machine will do best. Generally a small coil will help ferret out targets in a trashy area. I tend to hunt trashy areas as that is where most of the goodies are dropped. But I have a 15 inch coil for large fields. As for depth, I get 10" inches or more on any coil I have in good dirt conditions. I also was concerned about walking over targets once I figured out my first detector. Sounds like its time for a upgrade. Be sure to use a sponsor here to keep the anxiety and head ache level to a minimum when buying a new machine. I don't recommend buying a used machine. Too many folks supplement their income from used machines, and you get what you pay for. Dont loose out on a warranty to save a few bucks.

OP
OP
rodarian

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm still not sure what i'm going to do but i do appreciate the comments.

hammer0419

Aug 20, 2014
OC NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A new machine will definitely present more opportunity. I used the ace 250 for a few years. Not a bad little machine but EXTREMELY SLOW. If you used your 250 next to a fisher f2 you would see a huge difference in recovery speed. Save all you $.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread