7 year old Daughter... What machine?

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run an Xterra 705 and have a 6" DD coil and was thinking a 305 would be perfect for her. She likes to do everything herself so I'm trying to get her a machine that she can start up and set up herself and pinpoint the target. I've given her several plug cutting challenges and she can cut nice plugs. Anyone else have a Daughter around this age who hunts?

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't have a young daughter but may I suggest the Garrett Ace 250. It has excellent pinpointing capabilities and it will be hard to "grow out of" the machine. It is very light and will take a beating and keep on beeping. TTC

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Something extremely lightweight! I have let 10 and 13 year kids use my AT Pro and they lacked the strength to swing it. An ACE 250 probably still has a bit of weight to it.

What if you swing the detector and let her use the handheld pinpointer?

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Dues is the lightest machine on the market. The shaft is adjustable lengthwise, so a shortie (slang: child) could easily use it. When she wasn't using it, you could "make sure" that is still operational by using it yourself.

Unfortunately they are a bit expensive...

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would maybe go with a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV I heard a lot of good things about them and how simple they are to use.

Bitpusher

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run a Teknetics Delta 4000. It's easy to use and is extremely lightweight.

Rce777777

Jul 12, 2014
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 and Eurotek pro for my little partner.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought my 8 year old a teknetics eurotek pro and he loves it. I left one pole section out to shorten it and it fits him perfect. Less than 2.5lbs, very easy to operate, and awesome target Id.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lots of good suggestions but my vote would be a F2 or Compadre. The Compadre is simple and light weight. If she out hunts with the Compadre it won't cost you much to get one too! Lots of great finds being made with these two detectors.

RiverRat

Jun 30, 2012
Clearlake, N. California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Garrett Pro Pointer,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would agree, after buying one (for less than $100 ) after my more expensive one was stolen...It IS very simple, lightweight, and shaft is adjustable to user's height...I'm only 5' and it's very comfortable for me to use...AND it's a total Coin HOG!...found coins in my front yard right outta getting it outta the box, even after previously going over that same ground with my more expensive detector...it's easy to set it to ONLY find coins and wow, does it!
When she wants a more detailed yet complicated detector, the Track IV is a great backup to any other detector...

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Tesoro Compadre...GL and HH

NJSouth

Aug 22, 2014
Vineland NJ
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Bounty Hunter Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all.. Hey Backstrap80... My daughter is just turning 7 and she loves MD with me. I use a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV myself and she has had a little trouble with its size when I let her try it out. Goldmaster... Thank you as I just went and ordered here a Bounty Hunter Junior! Had great reviews and the price was decent. I'll let you know how we do when she gets it!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
delta 4000 * very light in weight -- adjustable length shaft -- only 279 --has a 0 to 99 "numbers" type display vs a 12block type display on the ace 250 (the250 comingles good finds and trash in the same block --forcing you to "dig it all".. not good for kids

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a BHJR for my daughter (7 at the time). It was definitely easier for her to swing, but the ergonomics are still pretty bad. We had trouble with the sensitivity knob after a few months. Depth was about 2" on dry sand salt beach. I can't really recommend this model - it was more like a toy to both of us after the novelty wore off. I upgraded her to a Coinmaster GT last year with the peewee lower rod. The only thing now is that she hasn't used it at all this season, however it still makes for a competent backup/guest machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread