can AT PRO be used underwater with no headphones?

mitchellf

Apr 11, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They say waterproof to ten feet, but you'll need to block off the headphone jack, not sure how you'd do that?

tomnkari

Greenie
Jan 26, 2014
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Pro comes with a plastic cap for the headphone jack if you're not using it but it doesn't have a water tight seal. I wouldn't trust it. If you're gonna scuba or snorkel with the AT Pro I'd invest another $100 or so for the blue Garrett waterproof headphones.

OP
OP
M

mitchellf

Apr 11, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
comes with screw on cap

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking that using the cap, and filling the socket with dielectric grease would be worth a try.

Amazon.com: CRC 05109 Technician Grade Di-Electric Grease with Precision Tip Applicator - 0.5 oz.: Automotive

Mind you, there are also spray greases, which would work for keeping corrosion off your connectors. I am sure that Garrett does this from the factory, but also getting a can for yourself is a good idea. Both are needed in differing applications. I've been an industrial mechanic for the last 25 years, and have put my faith in CRC products.

Also, FWIW, this grease works wonders on crappy old corroded vehicle lightbulb sockets and battery terminals.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking that using the cap, and filling the socket with dielectric grease would be worth a try.

Amazon.com: CRC 05109 Technician Grade Di-Electric Grease with Precision Tip Applicator - 0.5 oz.: Automotive

Mind you, there are also spray greases, which would work for keeping corrosion off your connectors. I am sure that Garrett does this from the factory, but also getting a can for yourself is a good idea. Both are needed in differing applications. I've been an industrial mechanic for the last 25 years, and have put my faith in CRC products.

Also, FWIW, this grease works wonders on crappy old corroded vehicle lightbulb sockets and battery terminals.

will not be waterproof to even a few feet due to water pressure.

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You can do it. I'd add some silicon to the cap just in case but I've seen it done with the cap only... It was only wading so maybe only submerged 1-2'. Look up Beau Ouimette's videos-he has several showing the AT underwater without phones.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
will not be waterproof to even a few feet due to water pressure.

Think so?

At sea level, one atmosphere (33 feet),, is about 14.6 PSI. Ten feet is a third of that? I'd think that this would be inconsequential at the max depth of an AT Pro.

I'd also like to add here that this is purely conjecture on my part, and purely for the sake of discussion.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen aquachigger and nugget noggin submerge their At pros with no headphones.
Use the factory supplied cap and oring.
If you really want a definite answer call garrett.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best answer..only my honest opinion..would be the Garrett waterproof headphones, that way, 1-you are using that machine to it's intended and highest level of operation...and 2-applying an rtv silicone WOULD make for a watertight seal, but then now you have a gigantic mess with now trying to dig all that solidified rtv out when you want to later add a headphone to that jack. and yes-Beau Ouimette (Aquachigger) does use his ATP underwater with no phones..but we don't get free/discounted products either..no disrespect to Beau..he earns everything he gets..check out his many vids..just my 2 cents worth...thx ddf

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used mine underwater with just the caps without any issues yet. My wife was with me while we were canoeing and she wanted to hear too. I always use headphones when I'm alone though.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
this would be inconsequential at the max depth of an AT Pro.

Did not mean the machine itself, but the jack outlet with the factory screw on cap.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best answer..only my honest opinion..would be the Garrett waterproof headphones, that way, 1-you are using that machine to it's intended and highest level of operation...and 2-applying an rtv silicone WOULD make for a watertight seal, but then now you have a gigantic mess with now trying to dig all that solidified rtv out when you want to later add a headphone to that jack. and yes-Beau Ouimette (Aquachigger) does use his ATP underwater with no phones..but we don't get free/discounted products either..no disrespect to Beau..he earns everything he gets..check out his many vids..just my 2 cents worth...thx ddf

I have to disagree with you on the garrett "blues" with no volume control.
The gray ghost amphibs are way nicer, better fit, better sound, imo.

Last edited:

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to disagree with you on the garrett "blues" with no volume control.
The gray ghost amphibs are way nicer, better fit, better sound, imo.

The Garrett Blues are rather spartan, but they get the job done. One of these days, some clever entrepreneur will develop a simple waterproof, comfortable, -AND- wireless headset for the ATP, and a host of others. Come on guys! Are there no electronic experts here with a desire to fill a niche?

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes you can as long as you use the supplied cap which lets just assume that Garrett may have tested before saying you can. I have and there is no problem. Also if you plan to spend $100 on those blue waterproof headphones just take out a lighter and burn the cash..theyre horrible. You obviously have taken the time to check on detectors and bought a good machine now do the same and buy grey ghost amphibs. Wet or dry nothing helps an ATP show its stuff more than grey ghosts, it will save you so much time hearing the crackles etc on either side of the good tone which tells you its trash target and you don't have to spend time digging as much only to find a bottle cap. Also please read your directions for the ATP as it will tell u how to properly prepare it for water use.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread