River bank recovery tools

TN/SC

Jun 13, 2012
SC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need some help on a recovery tool for muddy river banks. I found a really good spot but recovering items is a bear. It’s a fresh water river and tidal affected, detecting at low tide. A clay type sticky mud yuck is my best description, regular scoop is no good here, I've been looking at some heavy duty scoops but don't know which one to try. My sampson shovel gets the job done but there has got to be a better way. I been trying to think outside the box. Any ideas are welcome.

TIA

Upvote 0

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No sand scoop made works worth a crap in clay! Been there! I had one lake like this. The answer for me was to go to a different lake! Good luck on this one.

OP
OP
TN/SC

TN/SC

Jun 13, 2012
SC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roger that, I will continue to do what I can here. Guess thats why there are so many targets. It has a history of colonial, Revolutionary War, and Civil War activity. It's been HOT here lately, which just adds to the already tough conditions. Fixing to load up the kayak and hit it again today. Again the area I'm detecting is not under water at low tide but the muck is making the recovery really tough.

HH

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could try finding a small mattock. Preferrably one that isn't too heavy. Maybe you could have one custom made to the size you want with a fiberglass handle.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread