Prov15:6

Greenie
Aug 25, 2014
Gilbert Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Whites Eagle2, Whites Surfmaster2, Garret Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was staying in a small town for a few weeks and thought I would hit the parks since all the local beaches have been stolen from MDing by the Feds. Guess I can't go to the parks either.

image.jpg

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
"treasure" and "dig" were the killer words there. The way that article reads, the general public is going to think that this goon was destroying the park while stealing valuable things from the ground. Now everyone else can watch out for one of these treasure hunters raping their public land for profit and report them to the police! Dressed as a "treasure hunter"!? What the hell does that mean? Obviously this fellow was attracting attention somehow in a bad way. Here are my personal rules for detecting parks to avoid situations like this:

There have been quite a few comments about how I was dressed that I must have attracted attention in some way. The way the officer and the reporter described me as being "dressed like a treasure hunter" I can understand everyone's concern that I must have been attracting attention. Just to clarify...I was wearing a pair of cargo type shorts, a blue t-shirt, and sandals. I had a finds pouch on a belt with a pin-pointer and trowel on the same belt. No resemblance to Indiana Jones whatsoever. I do understand and follow proper MD etiquette. Hope this helps to clear up some confusion.

Oooh,sandals. That explains it. (Just kidding.) The reaction of those who do not detect are going to view us in the extreme almost regardless.Hard to blend a detector in to the background when in the open areas of park hunting. Nosy people will find anything different out of place and a terrible hole rent in their space /time continuum. One lady claimed we were killing grass while she waddled around on concrete where as a child I played on rough lakeshore.. But her having ice cream at a stand must have been more important than the grounds history and natural features and her impact and footprint on the world must have been beneficial.. My days partner told me later what she had said as I had headphones on and I did look for her to have a chat but she had got what she came for and left apparently.

Last edited:

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"treasure" and "dig" were the killer words there. The way that article reads, the general public is going to think that this goon was destroying the park while stealing valuable things from the ground. Now everyone else can watch out for one of these treasure hunters raping their public land for profit and report them to the police! Dressed as a "treasure hunter"!? What the hell does that mean? Obviously this fellow was attracting attention somehow in a bad way. Here are my personal rules for detecting parks to avoid situations like this:

There have been quite a few comments about how I was dressed that I must have attracted attention in some way. The way the officer and the reporter described me as being "dressed like a treasure hunter" I can understand everyone's concern that I must have been attracting attention. Just to clarify...I was wearing a pair of cargo type shorts, a blue t-shirt, and sandals. I had a finds pouch on a belt with a pin-pointer and trowel on the same belt. No resemblance to Indiana Jones whatsoever. I do understand and follow proper MD etiquette. Hope this helps to clear up some confusion.

Did not mean to accuse or insinuate anything towards you personally. Why was your story put in the paper in the first place? Does somebody that works for the city have a chip on their shoulder to yourself or people who metal detect? Seems like a great deal of trouble to go through just to announce that some cop kick a guy out of a park.

And what about the cop changing your words around to make you sound bad? Anyone reading that story, myself included, would have thought that you were somehow being a public nuisance. It sounds like that whole town is against metal detecting!

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember, it's the news media that wrote the story, they love to embellish to sell papers.
It could be the guy just had a finds pouch, digger and never said anything about treasure.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found detecting in the nude seams to make me invisible! I just don't look good naked anymore!
That's because everyone around you went blind! :laughing7:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt a lot of creeks. After people see me in the creek they tend to paddle a little faster past me. The only parks we have here are civil war so they of course are off limits. Oh well better luck in the next one. Hard to believe this was in the news.Seems even the article was in your favor.:dontknow:

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's replace TREASURE and DIG with LOST ITEMS and SEARCH. That should fix it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also use "items" or "artifacts" instead of treasure, and "recover" instead of dig. That covers all the methods you might use.

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also use "items" or "artifacts" instead of treasure, and "recover" instead of dig. That covers all the methods you might use.
what he said!

OP
OP
P

Prov15:6

Greenie
Aug 25, 2014
Gilbert Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Whites Eagle2, Whites Surfmaster2, Garret Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Jeremy, sorry, I didn't mean to come across as you accusing me of anything. I was under a lot of job related, and family stress at the time I wrote this and must not have thought through what I was saying. (My wife accuses me of doing that often, but then what does she know. Lol)

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
From now on if anyone ask what your doing..Tell them your digging for pull tabs/tin cans and sharp rusty metal so no one can get hurt!Your a concerned citizen worried about children and small animals getting cut..see what they tell you then..

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess Im just lucky where I live, the cops are more worried about REAL crimes, like the dopeheads and the daily robberies & shootings. I have had several cops come up to me when i was detecting and they all tell me the same thing.

" Do you know what neighborhood you are in?" "Becareful" then they drive off.. But I can see in those small towns where everyone knows everybody, all it takes is a little "negative noise" from one person to get things like this to happen

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions