Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would try it and see what you get next time out. It may also have something to do with the soil condition in that area and may not work in others. If it does work it would be one heck of a piece of information to share for sure! Good luck and let us know!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
that was very interesting and if it works, could make the iron nail spots a lot more productive

NMGold

Tenderfoot
Aug 28, 2014
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Garrett, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember reading this, now it's refreshed, thanks!

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was searching around the internet and found this post here it's interesting experiment about the Garrett at pro 5x8 coil in nails.

What I have learned about the AT Pro w/ 5x8 coil

This is not my story I did not write it. I just want to know what you guys think I run my at pro in pro zero with no discrimination. After reading this maybe I should have the discrimination up to 30.

I almost always run mine at pro zero with discrimination set at 30, sometime 35 in a real iron infested place. For silver and most copper cents I can usually get a iffy high tone when they are in close proximity or under iron bits like nails.

The 5x8 does a great job or target separation! I have been using my for the last few weeks at a very trashy construction site that is loaded with iron.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've also seen tests where too much iron discrimination will cause you to miss a good signal in close proximity to nulled iron.

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can someone please take a screenshot or paste the article here? The site is blocked here.

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will paste the article here

Allow me first to say that this technique is NOT of my own making. I learned it from NasaTom during my telephone consultation with him. Here's the technique. I have found that the square nails in the bed I am hunting are coming in around 27 to 29 on the VDI of my Garrett AT Pro. Tom had told me to find out what the nails are reading and then lower or raise the discrimination until the nails become a 'click' or 'pop' in the audio reporting. So I set my discrimination at 27. I started pulling bullets, coins, and other non-ferrous items from among the nails! But first, I created a scenario at home like this: I dug a hole and placed 4 square nails saved from the old homesite that I am speaking of in the hole at 4 corners. In the middle, I placed a 58 cal Minie Ball. I also used a Mercury dime in place of the bullet after testing with the bullet. Sure enough, the detector would NOT give any audio or visual indication that there was a non-ferrous item in the hole. (I am ground balanced at 78 and the ground is fairly mineralized) This is with Disc at 0. But then I placed disc at 27 and scanned the hole WITH ONLY the 4 nails. I got 4 pops or 4 clicks. I them placed a bullet amongst the 4 nails, or a mecury dime, and I would get a solid repeatable mid-tone. This is all with iron audio off. Again, with disc set at 27 and only 4 square nails, I would get 3 or 4 pops or clicks. I then placed a bullet ot silver dime amongst the nails and got one solid repeatable mid-tone. The VDI was bouncy and didn't give much useful info. But the audio told me that amongst the square nails was a non-ferrous item.
By now those of you who have read NasaTom's article about the F-75 and Disc at 6 and Monotone will realize that I have simply applied those principles to the AT Pro. Set your Discrimination to make those square nails click and then, when your scanning an old homesite and get a solid repeatable mid-tone, you may have unmasked a goody like I did last Saturday. I also own and use an F75SE with an extra coil (5 inch DD) and love learning what these devices are trying to tell me. Needless to say, about the only way to learn what the unit is saying is to get ready to do alot of digging. My hands are SO dry and cracking now from staying in the dirt! I hope this helps some new guy. I'm a new guy too and I would stress that we should listen to what the guys on this board have to say because many of them have been doing this for years. Happy Hunting!

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tried.that some time ago by accident I found this out and it does work and you can lose targets of you discriminate the iron all out, id actually forgotten this and haven't used it in some time but will now again. Tried something else and that is the Nel coils for ATPs the hunter(larger) sharpshooter(like the 5x8 coil) and it has turned my ATP into a new machine. I find deeper stuff, separation is unsurpassed with the sharpshooter. I'd have to say im finding targets an average of 4 inches deeper than normal and I actually get a vdi instead of just a sound on deep targets. Oh I can actually use my ATP on the beach with no chatter now. Don't know how they make these coils but im impressed and happy that I can go back to places I thought was dried up.

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tried.that some time ago by accident I found this out and it does work and you can lose targets of you discriminate the iron all out, id actually forgotten this and haven't used it in some time but will now again. Tried something else and that is the Nel coils for ATPs the hunter(larger) sharpshooter(like the 5x8 coil) and it has turned my ATP into a new machine. I find deeper stuff, separation is unsurpassed with the sharpshooter. I'd have to say im finding targets an average of 4 inches deeper than normal and I actually get a vdi instead of just a sound on deep targets. Oh I can actually use my ATP on the beach with no chatter now. Don't know how they make these coils but im impressed and happy that I can go back to places I thought was dried up.

So is the stock 5x8 coil the same as the nel 5x8 coil. Which one is better Nel or Garrett

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for pasting the article here for me!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've also seen tests where too much iron discrimination will cause you to miss a good signal in close proximity to nulled iron.
Yeah, Ive heard the same thing but in this case the nails didn't null out, they came in as scratchy pops and clicks...right on the edge of nulling out...very interesting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread