May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, I live in Michigan, and he has property in the thumb part of the state. He says his family purchased the property in like 1818, and that there was a 1700s homesite there when they bought it. The problem is, I can't find anything even close to confirming that, in fact, the nearest town was founded in the 1850s. I'm honestly not even sure I believe they moved there as early as 1818. If it wasn't such a drive from me, I wouldn't even question it and just drive out there. What do you guys think? Is it really possible that there are [presumably late] 1700s homesteads in the thumb of Michigan?

Upvote 0

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mr. Helton, I live in the Thumb, In 1814 Fort Gratiot was established at the Southern end of Lake Huron, and was considered the first Euro-Amercian population in Michigan. Not to say there were not home sites before that, as there were many trappers, hunters, and plenty of Indians in the Thumb. .. As late as as 1836, there was still an Indian reservation in "downtown" area of Port Huron. The history of the Thumb is well documented in many books, by local authors. I know the area well.............if you need anything.

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's very interesting. The property in question is about 100 acres near Port Huron actually. There are multiple early-mid 1800s homesites there as well. I'd be interested in any books you might recommend.

Edit: whoops it's actually close to Port Huron, I got the two mixed up

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd search that in a New Jersey Minute!

what the heck are you waiting for? WAKE UP!!! Don't quibble over inaccurate family legends. It dates back, what else do you want?

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is very intresting, I have lived in or within 10 miles of Port Huron all my life (59) years. I am currently hunting a couple late 1800's sites in the area. Let me find some reading material for you

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Google: the history of St Clair Co. Michigan............enough web sites, and books to keep you busy all snowy Winter. I am retired and hunt 3 -4 days a week, let me know if you get over this way, and want to do some exploring................I have some pretty good spots as well

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Port Huron ? or Port Sanilac? If Port Sanilac, Google Huron County History, lots of info on both
That's very interesting. The property in question is about 100 acres near Port Huron actually. There are multiple early-mid 1800s homesites there as well. I'd be interested in any books you might recommend.

Edit: whoops it's actually close to Port Huron, I got the two mixed up

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL! I typed Port Huron again but meant to type Port HOPE. It’s by Port HOPE.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats a ways north of me. I deer hunted there every year in the 70s-80s. Still Huron County, I belive. Google the great thumb fire, killed many, and wiped out everything, I think late 1800's. Small farm town, best bar burger ever, dont blink, I dont even think there is a traffic light. Right on Lake Huron, beautiful spot!

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you use historicmapworks.com ,it has a nice overlay feature for present back to 1800s

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived on Fisher Road. Right on the St. Clair & Sanilac County Line. Corner little green house and had 3 sod farms, and I was married to a one son of "Bitel Sod Farm". Moved to Wellman Line Road on 10 acres for 10 years, that's my first years of metal detecting. Back in 1985. I would go to that place in a heartbeat! Hell yeah, like yesterday! Go man Go!!!

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100 acres, 1800's. YOU WOULDN'T HAVE TO ASK ME TWICE!! I live in west Michigan, a 3 plus hour drive, and I would go in a second. What a great opportunity!

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Small world, LadyPirate..........been by there hundreds of times!!!
I lived on Fisher Road. Right on the St. Clair & Sanilac County Line. Corner little green house and had 3 sod farms, and I was married to a one son of "Bitel Sod Farm". Moved to Wellman Line Road on 10 acres for 10 years, that's my first years of metal detecting. Back in 1985. I would go to that place in a heartbeat! Hell yeah, like yesterday! Go man Go!!!

prospexican

Nov 28, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gemini-3 best expert.
gpx 5000, fisher 2 box, whites sierra madre, eagle ll w big foot, gold bug, GMT, MD-5008, Detectron 2 box. etc. metrotech 480, and ferromagnetic magnetometer FX-3. fisher CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well try to google the land and see if you find any thing of interest, like old fences or irregular land or any thing of interest.
also with a 2 box machine you will be able to walk faster to cover more ground

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Small world, LadyPirate..........been by there hundreds of times!!!

We let many a people pheasant hunt on the farms.....as long as they gave me one. I also worked at "County Corner Party Store" on corner of Yale Road and Shephard Road back then when Jeff Scheffelbine owned it for a few years. Know plenty of people from there. Actually lived next to The Coopers on Wellman Line Road. Bootie & Coop (Ervin)

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fresh grounds with a bit of history! that's definitely worth the drive.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
100 acres is an awfully big haystack.

Might want to spend a couple days doing recon, seeing if you can't locate evidence of a homesite. Definitely do all the book work and research you can. Aimless wandering gets old, fast, after your third, fourth, fifth hour in the middle of a field without a single hit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions