Dumb people expecting too much

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have a lady asking any local metal detectorists to locate her lost bracelet in a tourist beach resort but not on the beach but on the streets and possibly in a restaurant and to top it off she lost it a month ago. Just how ignorant are people? I have come across some real brain cell lacking people but this woman has to rank near the top. I can see myself now walking into a restaurant asking people to excuse me and move their seats so I can shove my Garrett under the table. At least I will save time on digging right?

Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
is her name snookie or paris?

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No but certainly can tell she has little to no commonsense and is the typical tourist to our area. I came so close to sending her the definition of a metal detector just to give her the opportunity to work out her mistake on her own.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya Badger - I have so many stories like yours. I just stay calm and say there is nothing I can do to help you. Though I'm thinking (REALLY?)

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Just how ignorant are people?

Best get use to it bz.Things are still on the downslope,once things hit rock bottom you'll see some fine examples of the potential of stupidity.If you want to see some now just come and visit Mass.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
We run into all kinds!
I had a guy come up to me on the beach and ask if I would look for his ring. I said where did you loose it. He said in the shag carpet in his bedroom. I ask him where he was staying . He pointed to a poured concrete high rise. I told him I couldn't do it because the building had rebars in it and just walked away. Yea, I was leary too!

Then there were the young girls that flocked around me while I was hitting the beach near 9th st. in OC. They were well developed, but looked to be about 16 or so. They wanted me to show them how to detect and crowed very close. I told them it was time for my break and headed for the boardwalk. When I got there I watched them from a bench. It appeared there were two guys on the boardwalk watching them and talking on two way radios. I really don't know if it was a sting or sham or attempt at a robbery, but something was up. The screen and the ground aren't the only things to watch out for.
Frank...- five star.png
111-1 profileblk.jpg

AnonymousTurker

May 2, 2014
New Bedford Mass
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We run into all kinds!
I had a guy come up to me on the beach and ask if I would look for his ring. I said where did you loose it. He said in the shag carpet in his bedroom. I ask him where he was staying . He pointed to a poured concrete high rise. I told him I couldn't do it because the building had rebars in it and just walked away. Yea, I was leary too!

Then there were the young girls that flocked around me while I was hitting the beach near 9th st. in OC. They were well developed, but looked to be about 16 or so. They wanted me to show them how to detect and crowed very close. I told them it was time for my break and headed for the boardwalk. When I got there I watched them from a bench. It appeared there were two guys on the boardwalk watching them and talking on two way radios. I really don't know if it was a sting or sham or attempt at a robbery, but something was up. The screen and the ground aren't the only things to watch out for.
Frank...- View attachment 1048194
View attachment 1048195

Sounds like pickpockets.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang bro, sounds like you came close to getting rolled.

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FrankN, speaking of OC, MD the place the lady lost it was Bethany beach Delaware. I don't mind helping people but there has to be some commonsense used. I had a lady ask not long ago for us to find her cellphone, why..because she was drunk got mad at who was on the other end and threw it. 6 people looked for over an hour and since we couldn't find it she said she would go buy a detector from WalMart and find it herself. I said good luck

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
Best get use to it bz.Things are still on the downslope,once things hit rock bottom you'll see some fine examples of the potential of stupidity.If you want to see some now just come and visit Mass.

yup! got some arrogant,ignorant people there allright!
some in government too!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Last edited by a moderator:

daemon1971

Sep 23, 2012
southeast mi
Detector(s) used
pioneer 202, gamma 6000, Garrett ATPro, tesoro vaquero
A neighbor lady came up to me while I was detecting my front yard , she asked what I was doing ...... Then she gave me permission to METAL detect her yard, that I would be able to find lots of GLASS there!

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had an incident once. Lady asked my to look for her watch.....

here; Sandy Spit, British Virgin Islands

Now, not a big area, I grant you..... but then she added that she lost it about 8 years previously.....:dontknow:

yeah - good luck with THAT! :laughing7:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
FrankN, speaking of OC, MD the place the lady lost it was Bethany beach Delaware. I don't mind helping people but there has to be some commonsense used. I had a lady ask not long ago for us to find her cellphone, why..because she was drunk got mad at who was on the other end and threw it. 6 people looked for over an hour and since we couldn't find it she said she would go buy a detector from WalMart and find it herself. I said good luck

You realize of-course that some of those gals aren't really interested in finding the stated object don't you!
What they really want could be good or bad for you. Frank...- five star.png

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What!!!!....You mean you can't detect that jewelry from 10 miles away? What sort of detectorist are you???. Boy oh boy...LOL
Jim

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't forget to leave a tip! lol

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What gets me, and they show up on the forums often are the - is such and such an area worth detecting or what do you think I'll find there? Don't get me wrong, I really like to try to be helpful, but how would any of us know about an area in someone else's territory? plus the obvious answer (to me) is hunt it and find out. We can't do it for you.
luvsdux

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya Badger - I have so many stories like yours. I just stay calm and say there is nothing I can do to help you. Though I'm thinking (REALLY?)
Same here. The ignorance of some people is amazing. I once posted a found ring on Craig's list for a ring I found here in San Diego. I got a call from a woman who wanted to see if it was her ring. I asked her when and where she lost it and what it looked like. She said it was a gold ring she lost a week ago in the dry sand at Santa Monica beach up in the Los Angeles area over 100 miles away! Yeah, sure, that ring washed off the dry sand into the water, and then traveled south 100 miles to wash up on one of our beaches....all in one week! That wouldn't happen in 50 years of constant hurricanes! And the woman who wanted me to detect her car for a possible lost ring. Hello? what is your car made of? I actually did search her car, but visually, and with an inspection camera. I get requests all the time to search at the mall, or a paved parking lot.....oh, and it was lost a month ago. It's all I can do to keep from laughing sometimes!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread