Does iron mask coins?

Rock22

Sep 9, 2013
Erie Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found a spot on my land that has turned up lots of iron nails. The land was once a farm from back in 1840 so I am always hoping for some old coins. I am not sure what this spot may have been but I am thinking a pen of some sort. I also found a 4" spike that has a square head on it.I am starting to get tired of digging nails but at times the detector shows silver in the dollar range but I just cant pinpoint it and keep getting nails. Does iron mask/confuse my machine and could there be silver in the ground? Thanks for any help.

Bill

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In high trash areas my method is pretty much just that~ use different coils and adjust my detector for the target responses I desire. Things like changing frequencies, adjusting sensitivity, GB, discrim and so forth can be done on the fly without coil changes. These types of adjustment are just tweeks to help me pick out good targets amid the junk and I only make them after I've got a pretty good idea of what I'm digging on. Coil changes are made so I can increase target separation, smaller coils, or add depth, larger coils.
None of these things will help much if there is just to much junk~ masking of targets whether by iron, aluminum or hot soil/salt conditions. Detectors are basically conductivity meters and will "see" everything. Its up to me, the operator, to learn my hunt site and make what amounts to educated guess's about what to dig and not dig. If its a particularly good area cleaning up the junk and gridding pays off over time. If all I'm getting are nails, Vienna sausage can lids, wine caps and ect... I'll cherry pick and find someplace else to dig.

My thoughts.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Good post Dave R, but I would just like to add that on some high end detectors like my old XLT, Discrimination just cuts off the sound. The display still holds true displaying the discriminated target.
Frank...- five star.png

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I was up in that trouble area the other day and started to dig everything that made any sound at all and I continue to dig nails and small pieces of rust. The interesting thing I did find was a blue marble and 2 wheat pennies 1942/1945. From my research on the land the last time that it was farmland was about 1945-46 because after that the barn was knocked down and a small house was built. My guess was that it was a pen of some sort. How and why the pennies and marble got there are anyone's guess.

Your just not old enough! lol Various games were played with marbled in the old days. ie 40's & 50's.
You usually looked for a clear piece of ground and either drew lines or made depressed pockets. Hay there were various names for marbles like moonies or agies. there were also different sizes. Your thumb really worked in those days. Hay, there was also penny tossing games like trying to get the closest to a wall.
Well, we didn't have smart phones and video games and Howdy Doody got boring at times!

Frank...- five star.png 111-2 de Vinci.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
In high trash areas, I dig every target to verify it's ID # then I cherry pick eliminating the digs for the known ID# junk targets. #'s vary with soil conditions so on the next
day's hunt you have to start over.
Frank...- five star.png hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Sandigger2

Mar 25, 2012
Ventura County,So Cal
Detector(s) used
DFX, PIDF,CZ 21,F5,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Once you clean the area of iron, come back from a different sweep direction in All Metal and you may be amazed at what's in the ground.
Especially after a good soaking rain to enhance the detector signal penetration. HH

OP
OP
R

Rock22

Sep 9, 2013
Erie Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the rain soaking 100%. I have much better luck after rain!

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
Hunting in heavy iron with out multiple tones is very tough.When u use a detector that only nulls out over iron (like discriminating) there is that chance hiding within that null is a good conductor.Most detectors running any discrimination in heavy iron will miss stuff..most,Not all.Digging it 'all' really isnt an option most times..If thats the case..just get a screen and sift the top 15 inches of your spot.I really like hunting the iron myself due to the fact it hides so many good targets.Low n slow with the coil.Your machine is a decent machine for sure..but you may want to look into an upgrade if you enjoy the hobby enough.Good luck and keep working that iron..that's where the goodies are!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
The solution is simple. If you get a signal, dig it. Then check the same spot. If anything was 'masked', it will then show up. What's hard about that? Frank five star.png

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know when I get a signal with Iron in it, it actually makes my target read higher than normal. But only if its a small piece of iron.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread