May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife has an aunt and uncle who own a dairy farm in the northern area in the lower half of Michigan. Their brothers and parents own all of the houses on the street, and I have hit all of them with my AT Pro. I have found deep modern clad (5-6 inches I'd say), but never ANYTHING old. I've probably spent a total of 15 hours detecting all over the yards at the houses there. The family has been the owners of all the houses on the street going back to the late 1800s and I'm told that there's definitely never been anyone else who detected it.

It just doesn't make sense. I can see not finding old coins because they could have been poor or not carried change with them...but nothing old at all? What could be happening? There's no fill dirt either.

Upvote 0

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are older coins there.

You just haven't passed your coil over them. Keep at it.

aliciakay1981

Dec 9, 2013
north carolina
Detector(s) used
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if there has not been any filler, and the dirt has not been pushed around, and ur getting modern coins at 5-6 inchs sounds to me that stuff seems to sink there really fast, which means there probably are old coins there just too deep to get a decent signal

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
go slower and make sure you over lap your swings. Invite me to come up and I will help you. wishing wishing

wanting rings

Aug 9, 2014
Muskegon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro(main), White's adjustable sand scoop, Bounty Hunter quick Draw(back up 1), Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Garrett Ace 250(kids), & a tracker IV(Kids)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you digging all signals? The VDI sometimes is off below the 6" range. I have read, not experienced, listening to the tone at depth not reading the VDI

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain. My prior post on an Early 1800's ghost town with multiple virgin home sites and not one coin from the period. Literally dozens of flat buttons, CW relics, thimbles and the list goes on without a single coin from the period. A couple of Barbers and a few wheats but nothing from the 1812-1865 heyday. Positive the sites are virgin. Drives you nuts doesn't it. I know my machine is up to par. It just really puzzles me why some sites just will not give up the jingle. Great relics but no coins. Guess we just have to keep at it and eventually on to greener pastures. HH

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably need to keep searching, or try a deeper hitting machine.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
There is still a good chance somebody detected there, for if they did it in the middle of the night and used a screwdriver for recovery, nobody would have known they were there. I say this because when I was a kid and even though I had permission I detected all my neighbors yards at night. I always felt my fisher worked better at night when there was no sunlight and all the different gamma rays it bathes you in. its a thought.

Mike

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you're not going all metal you may be missing some deeper targets. I have a friend that can pull beauties out in between the gruff old iron nail signals.

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just about every old coin I've dug up has registered in the pull tab-zinc range with the exception of silver. PP then size the target and dig everything nickel and above.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was there alot of modern coins? I hunt some area where you gotta dig the junk (modern coins) out of the way to get the deeper stuff. Also, how old are the houses?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is still a good chance somebody detected there, for if they did it in the middle of the night and used a screwdriver for recovery, nobody would have known they were there. I say this because when I was a kid and even though I had permission I detected all my neighbors yards at night. I always felt my fisher worked better at night when there was no sunlight and all the different gamma rays it bathes you in. its a thought. Mike

Is that why you wear the tin foil hat? Lol

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Regardless of what you've been told the evidence says some one has been there before you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread