I probably Shouldnt Have but I did Anyway.....

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I probably Shouldn't Have but I did Anyway.....

After using 2 different BH detectors to get back into the hobby I've decided to save up for something really nice for next spring, which I'm still definitely doing.

But, yesterday I ran into a young lady who happened to know a little bit about metal detecting. We had a conversation and then she informed me that she had an older Radio Shack 63-3015, which is the RS version of the BH Land Star. Her grandfather gave it to her two years ago after he decided to upgrade himself. She tried it a few times and now has ZERO interest in it. She says it's just "too dirty" of a hobby.

So she said I could have it for 40 bucks. I met up with her after work and had a look at it, saw that it seemed to work and look just fine and offered her $25.00. She said "okay" without even batting an eye.

So, I'm now the proud owner of a Radio Shack Land Star clone for 25 bucks. This is my cheapest detector yet. It's also a third so I can hunt with both of my sons without any of us having to share. I didn't need it but I just couldn't resist it for 25 bucks. I figure I can always sell it. I think I can easily get 50-75 bucks for it on a bad day. I just love it when deals like this show up unexpectedly.

Radio Shack Version of BH Land Star.jpg

I haven't tried it yet but I did play around with it and gave it a few air tests. It seems to work fine and in the all metal mode seems to have quite a decent amount of depth. I also like the fact that it has a manual ground balance. The box is kinda' big. I guess this one really is a "muffler on a stick".

So, has anyone ever used one of these things and if so, did you like it??

Thanks in advance and HH.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is basically a BH Quick draw 2 with ground balance. Which I used to own. If it has the same guts, you have a great machine. I killed the clad and silver with it. It may be simple, but it is very effective.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is basically a BH Quick draw 2 with ground balance. Which I used to own. If it has the same guts, you have a great machine. I killed the clad and silver with it. It may be simple, but it is very effective.

That's what I think and for 25 bucks I don't think I can go wrong.

I have a Pioneer 202, which is the same as the Quick Draw II and although I've found some pretty good stuff with it and it has vindicated itself, I can't say that I want to keep using it long term. I've never "loved" that particular machine. I got that one cheap too but not this cheap.

This machine just feels more responsive than the 202. I have a good feeling about it.
I'm going to hit one of my old spots this evening and see if it finds anything I've missed.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
good buy, should prove its self soon enough

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had about an hour after work to try it out. I went to a really trashy spot I've cleaned out pretty good and got about ten clad coins, one key and a Baltimore MTA bus token.

I really like the feel of it so far. Hopefully I can really give it a good workout tomorrow.
I definitely think I like it better than the BH 202 already. It's more responsive imo. Also, it hunts pretty deep in the all metal mode with the manual ground balance.

The downside to that mode is, there's only one tone so you have to be willing to dig deep trash to find deep good stuff. That mode is great for pinpointing though because it gives you a continuous tone. My other machines are motion only units. Once you get the hang of it they're pretty easy to pinpoint with though.

We shall see.
So far, I like what it's done and I haven't even begun to really use it.
For 25 bucks it's definitely a great little machine any way you slice it. I'm very happy I ran into that young lady when I did. It was completely unexpected. I love when that happens.

Last edited:

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's actually a great detector, i have a BH Time Ranger V4 and it competes well with the Land Star. For that price its an absolute steal, i sometimes leave the G2 at home and TR and use the Land Star, it will not let you down especially in all metal.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used this machine this weekend and I have to say, WOW, this thing is WAY better than the BH 202. I found what I believe to be a small diamond earring (not definite yet) and I killed the clad today. If there's a coin to be found, this thing will find it. I picked up at least 40 coins today. Unfortunately, nothing old or silver but it was fun nonetheless.

Until I can upgrade, this is now my detector of choice. It just works really well and I really like the way it feels and responds.

I laid a row of various targets down (gold, silver, nickel, copper penny, zinc penny, dime & quarter) in a line about 5 feet wide and when I swung across them, it just hit everyone in the proper tone immediately. There is basically no recovery time required between targets.

The target and depth indication is pretty much spot on for coins; up to about 6-7 inches. I'm impressed. Someone definitely had to put a great deal of thought into this machine. The all metal mode is also awesome for depth as well as pinpointing. I really began to get a good feel for tuning it this weekend and I believe I understand it fairly well. It's very user friendly.

One thing is a bit weird. When you punch they keys to change modes, it gives you no indication at all; no beep, no nothing. I thought it was a malfunction but later learned that it isn't. That's just the way it was designed to work. The modes change just fine; you just don't get a beep when you press the keys. I believe the the Land Star does. Other than that, I don't know of any difference.

I can also say that it seems to be very sensitive overall. You can really fine tune this one and I like that.

Whoda' thought the oldest and cheapest detector would turn out to be the best of the bunch?? And it has a Radio Shack label at that.

I only wish I had found this deal first. But hey, I'm not complaining.
My other machines have taught me a great deal and led me to lots of cool treasures.

Last edited:

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a Land Star, have used mine many times, and always had fun with it..The weak link is the way the coil plugs into the housing...I have had some trouble with the connector getting loose..I use this detector as my "loaner" to get people interested in the hobby.....This was the next to the top dog BH at one time...The rat shack version just has a different face plate...Have fun with it...

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah the notch is pretty cool...Download the manual for it...heres the link

support.radioshack.com/support_games/doc63/63948.pdf

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its a Land Star, have used mine many times, and always had fun with it..The weak link is the way the coil plugs into the housing...I have had some trouble with the connector getting loose..I use this detector as my "loaner" to get people interested in the hobby.....This was the next to the top dog BH at one time...The rat shack version just has a different face plate...Have fun with it...

Thanks for the tips. Oh, and I'm already having a grand old time with it so far.
I'm aware of that connector problem because I had the same trouble with my BH Pioneer 202.

Thankfully, a guy on this site by the name of FixItDave helped me out and I got it straightened out. I was ready to sell it. The female end of the plug was loose but not noticeably loose and the inside was a bit caked with dirt. Once I cleaned, re centered and snugged it all back up it was fine. It felt like a completely different machine.

I have to say, I like the 202 okay but I never fell in love with it. I'm So thankful I didn't pay anywhere near retail for it.

Otoh, I LOVE this RS Land Star clone more every time I use it . There's just no comparison with the 202.
I believe I got lucky and got my hands on a very well tuned one. Sometimes two identical pieces of equipment can be very different. That applies to guitars as well. You can pick up one and it's okay but then you pick up another and it just "feels right". That's the best way I can describe this machine.

The girl I got it from told me that her grandfather found all kinds of nice stuff with it, including a bracelet worth several thousand dollars and many nice rings. He's a beach hunter and you know how much stuff people lose while swimming.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread