jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know, But I read some were that .. there is a power difference in Euro Detectors
If this is the case & they don't need to worry about FCC rules,
I wouldn't want a made for U.S. use detector if I lived over there.
however... perhaps the other way around, I wouldn't mind having a detector that Doesn't comply with FCC rules :laughing7:

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure of that policy but I do know that up here in Canada we cannot purchase certain brand name detectors directly from authorized dealers in the US. Has something to do with competition laws or something.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well i guess i must have heard right..

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
May have something to do with all the Minelab junk coming out of China...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May have something to do with all the Minelab junk coming out of China...
That's not Minelab junk, it Chinese junk.....they're the counterfeiters in this. Minelab (and other manufacturers) would just love to see them all shut down.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Correction. Minelab branded junk.

Jarrett

Sep 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has to do with your country gouging you on tax and tariffs. I just went through this on an at pro. Found one on sale from a site in the states for $519 the cheapest I can get one in canada is $750. The retailers I talked to said they couldn't buy one from garrett for 519. Gave me some big speech about import tax. Just think it's a joke. Not sure if I'm getting screwed by my government, garrett or the retailers but one of them is!

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not the FCC. Dave Johnson cleared this one up. The detectors do not approach the limits for power set by the FCC.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
It has to do with your country gouging you on tax and tariffs. I just went through this on an at pro. Found one on sale from a site in the states for $519 the cheapest I can get one in canada is $750. The retailers I talked to said they couldn't buy one from garrett for 519. Gave me some big speech about import tax. Just think it's a joke. Not sure if I'm getting screwed by my government, garrett or the retailers but one of them is!
Well if you know someone in the states have them buy it and send it to you…….. If you live close to the us border just drive over and buy one .. If you get stopped at the border just tell them you like to detect and carry your detector with you most of the time..

Jarrett

Sep 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya thought about crossing the border to get one only live about two hours from the states. But from what I understand is that most country's have a fair practices law. Which basically is in place so they make sure they get there tax and import fees

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have a person buy you one then send it to you in multiple shipments and then call them parts.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is true, as a US based dealer we are not allowed to sell our items outside of the USA. Its in our contract with the manufacturers.

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is true, as a US based dealer we are not allowed to sell our items outside of the USA. Its in our contract with the manufacturers.

It really sucks though. Yes there are authorized dealers here in Canada, however most of them will only carry a few big sellers like Garret AT Pro and maybe a few popular Fisher models like the F2. For me to purchase my Minelabs, I had to go out of province and have them shipped.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread