New to site. Have a question. Need some advice.

dirtball

Sep 8, 2014
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not new to detecting but i am new to the online community and i have a little problem im trying to figure out. Im in the market for a new machine and i am looking at a couple mid priced units. Namely the Whites M6, Teknetics G2, and the Garrett At gold. should i just throw a dart or is one better than the other. Waterproof is not a deciding factor.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from White Plains, New York! TAKE YOUR TIME, and check out Tesoro and Minelab machines as well. Both the G2 and the AT Gold are nuggetshooters, set up to find gold nuggets (very sensitive and chatty) - they are NOT all-around machines. The AT Pro and Teknetics T2 are better choices for all-around use. Do your homework, and good luck!

OP
OP
D

dirtball

Sep 8, 2014
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looking more at the whites m6 the more i look. i know its a toned down mxt so how does it compare to the big boys. i dont need all the bells and whistles.
Main reason for serious consideration of the g2 is i have read nothing but great reviews and its supposed to be great in iron. plus i read that the new f19 is a g2 with a couple extra bells.
I dont know. To many options !! not a minelab fan. never owned a tesoro. I always have had a fisher and my friends all had whites.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What will you be looking for? What kind of environment?

OP
OP
D

dirtball

Sep 8, 2014
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mostly lawns parks and some woods. the more i read the more im leaning towards the At Gold because it has all metal mode or the G2. i know they are higher freq for finding the yellow stuff. But from what ive seen i dont think they slouch in the coins or relics department. anyone using the G2 or the new f19 ? I hear that the G2 having dual processors makes it really fast and accurate.

inthesurf

Sep 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD, AT PRO, MINLAB 11, Garret pro pointer, ect...
Primary Interest:
Other
Dirtball, go with soloman advice he is correct. first the brand don't count its what you feel comfortable with. research, research, research. And ask yourself will this machine really make me happy and pay for itself.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...Main reason for serious consideration of the g2 is i have read nothing but great reviews and its supposed to be great in iron...

The "G2" is good in iron-rich soil (highly mineralized), but is too sensitive to run in trashy areas.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In that price range and your planned use, I'd get the Garrett AT Pro, Minelab 705, or White's M6.....in that order.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Looks like everyone has there favorite detector! How many have stuck with one for any length of time? lol
Frank...- five star.png 111-2 700.jpg

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I used AT Pro prior to moving to XP Deus. For the money, the ATP was an awesome machine.

As others stated... research and pick something that YOu will be comfortable with.

Welcome from Charlotte, NC.

GL&HH!

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've had an AT Pro since the first shipments went out. It's still a great detector and short of moving way up the price range, I can't see why I might change. In fact, I may also buy an AT Gold because of the threshold and higher sensitivity. Having said that, I commonly run the AT at less than full and I still pull coins at good depth. I commonly hunt woods, water and river crossings so the AT is certainly suited for those!

OP
OP
D

dirtball

Sep 8, 2014
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The more I look into them I'm probably Going to grab an At gold since it comes with the 5x8 and true all metal mode.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get other coils for either one, and you'll probably want to in a park setting. Small coil for junky areas and a large coil for wide open spaces.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are lucky enough to have a local dealer, I would suggest asking to try out the models you are interested in. See which one feels right for what you will be doing.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an AT pro and it's a great machine. Especially on coins and quarters especially!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread