Crazy lady, at the soccer fields..................wow!

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunted the soccer fields, I always hit, today. As I was working along the edge of the woods, and the edge of the playing area, I look up and see this car coming at me from the parking lot, right across the fields. As she pulls up, with a child in the car, and rolls down her window, I remove my head phones, to her screaming, " We have ask you for three years not to dig holes here, "we have a girl with a broken ankle, right now, and I have your licences number, and am giving it to the insurance Co.................To which I replied " Mam I have only been doing this for two years, and no one has ever ask me not to, do you see any holes?" " Then why do you have a shovel?" ( lesche digger) So I explained the whole process, locate, retrieve, fill SMALL hole, and offered to leave, and not return, explaining that my kids, and grandkids, have all played here, and I was not even in the playing area! and I wanted no problems, she said yes GO! She drove back to the concession trailer, and was doing something inside (waiting to see if I was leaving), When I walked by to get to my Jeep, she stuck her head out and apologized, for being so rude, we had a short talk about people, and I left. I think all the times I called her mam, made her feel guilty! Boy I have a sore tongue, with a lot of teeth marks in it!!!

Upvote 0

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better to swallow the words ..the taste is bitter..yet much better than spouting poison about...Kudos Cooper..on biting your tongue, as I am sure I may not have fared as well...Way to check your pride and ego and not tarnish the hobby..great job!! I go to a soccer field near my house..there are like..a dozen soccer pitches with a lot of ground to cover so I go there as a back-up location. One day a guy..who was nice, asked me about "digging holes" and tearing up public property...at the EXACT moment his Rottweiler takes a big, steamy dump !! WTF...I asked him if he was going to "get that"..Nah he says..the rain will clean it up....REALLY...ha..some people..thanks for sharing! ddf

Diggum

Greenie
Apr 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, some people. I wonder what that woman's car tires did to the field! I'm sure much more than your Lesche!

I'd go back and carry on as I had been, but that's me. I hope you got some goodies out of there, at least!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
had someone to make a comment once about the dug spots all over the area, I calmly explained that the armadillos haven't learn how to fill their holes yet... silence

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Bleh that does happen from time to time. when it does I try and educate whomever how a professional detectorist recovers their targets, at least myself anyway, probably the same way you do cooper. I know your profile says s.e. mi wondering how far you are from me, I'm in highland, and I'd actually like to bump into that woman so I can school her. I always try to show folks how most of us care about our hobby. if anything wherever it is you were detecting some moron also probably detects there and makes a mess, God knows I've seen enough guys making full sized shovel craters and leaving them unfilled, I've even went behind a guy once and filled the holes he was leaving..worked out to because he obviously did not know to recheck his holes..lotsa goodies left behind. :laughing7:

Mike

OP
OP
cooper1841

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am up by Port Huron area. People are just weird, I think she was disappointed that I would not be baited into a confrontation. I have been going there for two years, always early in the morning, during the week, never seen another detectorist, just dog walkers.....................that's another story!! Leash laws, and clean up after your pet...........yeah right!! It is over 40 acres park, and she finds me!
Bleh that does happen from time to time. when it does I try and educate whomever how a professional detectorist recovers their targets, at least myself anyway, probably the same way you do cooper. I know your profile says s.e. mi wondering how far you are from me, I'm in highland, and I'd actually like to bump into that woman so I can school her. I always try to show folks how most of us care about our hobby. if anything wherever it is you were detecting some moron also probably detects there and makes a mess, God knows I've seen enough guys making full sized shovel craters and leaving them unfilled, I've even went behind a guy once and filled the holes he was leaving..worked out to because he obviously did not know to recheck his holes..lotsa goodies left behind. :laughing7:

Mike

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Likely I would have had the popo called on me...been irritable since quitting the cigs, do not need an old crow busting my boys...:BangHead:

OP
OP
cooper1841

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Funny part is she was young enough to be my daughter, should have at least had a little respect for the old guy...lol
Likely I would have had the popo called on me...been irritable since quitting the cigs, do not need an old crow busting my boys...:BangHead:

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ur better person than me, i got to much of a big mouth to just leave like that.

Budman231

Sep 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that we should have to... but a suggestion is to go to the fields when they are not there. I really try to avoid people at all costs. This story is exactly why...

People are just AHs.. If you were digging holes and leaving them then I understand her being upset. Otherwise, screw her.

Bud

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldnt of said a word,just good ole fashion sign language.Its recognizable around the world.:laughing7:

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is hard sometimes. This hobby is one of the few that we have to defend from an ignorant public. If I was into RC planes people would pat me on the back even though I could kill a spectator if I wasn't careful. Soccer and football cleats tear up the fields with no complaints. Clubs sink their banners into the soil and everyone thinks it is great. Dogs defecate at will with no cleanup. Followed by people who throw all kinds of trash that I carry out in loads with my pouch, let alone empty and full water bottles, cans, and all other forms of trash. Yet we are the bad guy. Go figure. What do I get paid? Sometime a small handful of clad. Not a bad deal for park cleanup. I probably am more conscious of the parks appearance then they are. No good deed goes unpunished.

OP
OP
cooper1841

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I said I only go there early morning, on weekdays. They only play soccer there on Saturdays! Kids are in school, soccer is over for the year, and this small township park closes Oct. 1st, for the winter. I spend more time trying to avoid people so I can enjoy myself, so it is early mornings and weekdays for me!!
Not that we should have to... but a suggestion is to go to the fields when they are not there. I really try to avoid people at all costs. This story is exactly why...

People are just AHs.. If you were digging holes and leaving them then I understand her being upset. Otherwise, screw her.

Bud

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
She must have ran out of psych meds! Some screwballs like that like to 'attempt' to push people around just for a power trip. My friend has a wife like this, she will go out of her way to harass people for no reason at all just to see if she can boss them around and intimidate them, and then later brags about what she did. I'm still waiting for that day when she finally gets a good kick from a steel toe boot to her face.

I agree with others, when there is a game going on I stay out of sight or hunt somewhere else all together. I don't like to deal with idiots so staying away from them completely seems to work pretty well.

There is probably a law/rule that prohibits driving vehicles on the grass. I would have quietly taken photos or video of her driving across the field and document any damage that her car did to the grass. It also sounds like there may be some other jackass hunting the park who may in fact be making a mess and digging giant holes (I see it in my area all of the time).

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sooner or later every hunter will run across a "land baron" with a chip on their shoulder. I was detecting a ball field one time when the maintenance man came running out to tell me to quit ruining the field. I asked him what he was referring to as I'm very careful to leave no trace of where I've been. He said a kid could twist an ankle if I leave any holes. Even though I explained that I not only don't leave holes, I don't even leave a trace of where I've been he said I had to leave or he would call the police. So I left and only go there at odd hours when he's off-duty. Keep in mind that this field must have a thousand gopher holes in it! I'd probably get blamed for that too if I stuck around. Some people just can't handle their power and/or are just plain idiots!

Hangman

Apr 12, 2014
Cape Coral Florida
Detector(s) used
BH Legacy 2500 , BH Time Ranger, El Cheapo pin pointer, ya gotta start some where !
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better to swallow the words ..the taste is bitter..yet much better than spouting poison about...Kudos Cooper..on biting your tongue, as I am sure I may not have fared as well...Way to check your pride and ego and not tarnish the hobby..great job!! I go to a soccer field near my house..there are like..a dozen soccer pitches with a lot of ground to cover so I go there as a back-up location. One day a guy..who was nice, asked me about "digging holes" and tearing up public property...at the EXACT moment his Rottweiler takes a big, steamy dump !! WTF...I asked him if he was going to "get that"..Nah he says..the rain will clean it up....REALLY...ha..some people..thanks for sharing! ddf

Your a better man than me, I would have swung my machine over the pile and told him your wife's boyfriends wedding band is there you may want to return it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread