Mr. Daniel Wessons house 1886 from Smith and Wesson Guns

chef440rt

May 2, 2014
central MA
Detector(s) used
Keen 4'' dredge with race car stickers to make it pump faster.
Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. Daniel Wesson's house 1886 from Smith and Wesson Guns

I have the privilege to detect Mr. Wesson's summer house from Smith and Wesson Guns. I am new to detecting so I don't quite have the hang of it yet, but I'm trying my hardest. So far I dug up a few beer cans from the 80's, a few modern coins, a few pieces of fake jewelry, 2 power lines, a bunch of old style nails and a lot of trash. I'm trying to dig as much as possible because they are tearing the house down in Dec. to make condo's. I've worked here for 20 years and no one has ever detected here. Wish me luck!

1.JPG

IMG_1266.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chef440rt

chef440rt

May 2, 2014
central MA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You sure are getting in deep for being so new. I am not saying you are not qualified, just that that site has to be intimidating. So much history infers there should be great finds there. I don't know if I would have picked that as a place to get experience as a newbie, but then again it may turn out as your best digs ever. Good luck. HH

hammer0419

Aug 20, 2014
OC NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You sure are getting in deep for being so new. I am not saying you are not qualified, just that that site has to be intimidating. So much history infers there should be great finds there. I don't know if I would have picked that as a place to get experience as a newbie, but then again it may turn out as your best digs ever. Good luck. HH

What's the worst he can do? Not find stuff? Obviously since it will be bulldozed its now or never. Have at it and just have a good time.

Look around the property and envision where they might have hung out years ago. Is there a big tree that stands out where they may have played under or had picnics?? Something like that. If so hit those areas good.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If that place has never been hunted it has to be loaded with goodies. It looks like a sweet spot for sure. Grab a buddy that's been doing this forever and let them show you the ropes!

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was speaking from my own experience. Not saying to not detect it. Just from being a newbie myself, I would be a little intimidated being able to detect such a historic place. Sorta like being new to auto racing and getting to drive Indy my first race. It would be intimidating, but also fun.

OP
OP
chef440rt

chef440rt

May 2, 2014
central MA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips. There are a lot of hits. I just don't know which ones to dig so I dig them all. My last 2 hits I dug were a foot deep, and took 45 min. and they were both nails. I just wish I had more experience to tell the trash from the goodies, but I'll keep trying.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sounds like an awesome place to learn on, hopefully you will be able to learn a lot before they get too far along. GL & HH

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're really going to tear down a neat old place like that?? Around here, that would be a historic site! Bring a buddy or two that have experience in that type of detecting. Maybe one of them will have an extra detector you can use that would work in that venue better than your CZ-21.

OP
OP
chef440rt

chef440rt

May 2, 2014
central MA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They never registered it as a historical site to get tax breaks so it is fair game to take down, unfortunately. I don't know any one with a detector all my treasure friends are gold miners. LOL Today I dug up nails, wire and odd old brackets of some sorts. I'll try some more on Sunday. Is a CZ-21 any good for this job? Today I tried on #4 discrimination and it tuned out most of the hits.

IMG_0488.JPG

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The CZ-21 is a damn good machine if your not in a trashy area. Just be prepared to dig a lot of targets. Be careful with the discrimination, you don't want to miss the good stuff.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They never registered it as a historical site to get tax breaks so it is fair game to take down, unfortunately. I don't know any one with a detector all my treasure friends are gold miners. LOL Today I dug up nails, wire and odd old brackets of some sorts. I'll try some more on Sunday. Is a CZ-21 any good for this job? Today I tried on #4 discrimination and it tuned out most of the hits.

View attachment 1052398
The CZ-21 is a great beach machine but, as you found out, it's a nail magnet unless you dial in a bit of discrimination. In that venue, I'd rather have a good relic machine or all-around coin detector. Something with a depth meter, VID, and real good discrimination. It saves digging a bunch of trash so you can concentrate on better targets. The CZ should go nice and deep though, and not be bothered too much with ground conditions. It's just hard to tell what you have until you dig it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread