permission on state parks

ghost

Mar 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently I called the department of state parks in Maryland asking permission to go metal detecting in one of their parks. They have a policy of sending a application to the person who wishes to do that. So they sent me one and I filled it out and now I am waiting for a reply. The ranger told me its up to the individual park manager. Its 50-50 if I get it. I wrote down that I would fill my holes back in and even pick up any trash I find and also show them what I find. The parks I wish to check out would be Calvert Cliffs and Sandy Point. I will let you all know what the outcome is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Call your local State Rep and State senator. They can get you the YES you seek.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have State Parks that advertise metal detecting, as one of the things to do during your stay, and its right on Lake Huron.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
seems most of the state parks around me are limited to detecting the parking areas, though it seems nobody follows the rules around my area. then again most of the conservation officers couldn't care less, the random Rambo gungho by the book types are increasing and will kick you out just for the fun of it even in places where it is allowed.

Mike

P.s 5 bucks says tanner chimes in :tongue3:

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One in my area has limited area,(Algonac)........................... Lakeport State Park is the whole, beach, campground, trails, and pic-nic area!!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently I called the department of state parks in Maryland asking permission to go metal detecting in one of their parks. They have a policy of sending a application to the person who wishes to do that. So they sent me one and I filled it out and now I am waiting for a reply. The ranger told me its up to the individual park manager. Its 50-50 if I get it. I wrote down that I would fill my holes back in and even pick up any trash I find and also show them what I find. The parks I wish to check out would be Calvert Cliffs and Sandy Point. I will let you all know what the outcome is.
Sometimes asking over the phone or in writing is the worst thing you can do. The rules should be written down somewhere and you should be able to access them. If it's truly an arbitrary decision made by the specific park ranger/manager, I'd go see him in person and offer to demonstrate your recovery skills if need be. It's a bit harder for them to tell you NO to your face.....assuming you're presentable and polite.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
+1 what cudamark said.

Show up in person and talk directly to the park manager. By playing the paperwork game through the mail they are just going to drag you into their bureaucratic hole. Mailing them paperwork simply gives some pencil pusher time to Google videos of Ric Savage with a backhoe and to figure out how liable they would be if you use dynamite to retrieve that wheat penny (which may be a priceless Indian artifact, so now he has to ask a state archaeologist).

Just coming from my own experience, I never have much luck asking over the phone unless I personally know who I am asking or we have a mutual acquaintance.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Haha bc1969. ;). I have not been able to log onto t'net from my desktop 'puter for a few months now. Can only get on t'net from my android smart phone . Hence can't type out replies very well , etc...

Not sure why . Perhaps a mod. put a restriction on me or something ? Anyone else having this issue of their account only working via a mobile device ?

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at this link, particularly part D. You are searching for modern stuff. I think they assume you want a permit as an archaeologist.

MetalDetecting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White tornado : well do you know the quickest way to get verbage like that applied to casual innocuous harmless hobbyists like us? Simply ask a bunch of desk-bound bureaucrats and archies "can I ?".

And then sure enough : you'll eventually find one to give the " safe answer ". To tell you it applies to you and I too . Ie: the old "no one cared. ..... TILL you asked " psychology. :(

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White tornado : well do you know the quickest way to get verbage like that applied to casual innocuous harmless hobbyists like us? Simply ask a bunch of desk-bound bureaucrats and archies "can I ?".

And then sure enough : you'll eventually find one to give the " safe answer ". To tell you it applies to you and I too . Ie: the old "no one cared. ..... TILL you asked " psychology. :(

Oh I know, I've read plenty of yours and cudamark's posts :laughing7:

I actually got that link off the site of a local treasure hunting club based in Baltimore, of which I'm a member.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We will be at Sandy Point park Beach for the MARS Hunt Saturday October 11th..
I'm not registered to hunt this year, But I thought Sandy Point Beach was open to anyone
at any time

reednc

May 23, 2012
Columbus, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
North Carolina state parks will issue a permit to only search for something specific that was recently lost, like a wedding ring.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Reed -nc: And why do you think anyone there dreamed up such a policy ? Do you think it's "durned those archies " ? Or: "durned those md'rs who must've left holes" ?

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We will be at Sandy Point park Beach for the MARS Hunt Saturday October 11th..
I'm not registered to hunt this year, But I thought Sandy Point Beach was open to anyone
at any time

I'll be there the next day for the Maryland Free State Treasure Club hunt :occasion14:

Far as I know, Sandy Point Beach -- being part of a state park -- is now open to anyone at anytime. From Memorial Day to Labor Day, state park beaches are 6 AM to 9 AM only. At least that's what the regulations say. I haven't hunted in a state park before. The hunt on October 12 will be my first.

James/Texas

Mar 6, 2008
Edinburg, Texas
Detector(s) used
Many. A lot. Whole bunch. Several.
Against state law in Texas to use a metal detector in any Texas State Park. No exceptions. Wish it wasn't so, but have to live with the rules.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
This is a sore spot with me.

I live about a mile or two from a large state park. Hundreds of campsites, an old grassy area, just a nice place to go to find stuff that the campers lose.

I have always stopped by the ranger station on my way in at the beginning of the year, just to see who is there, maybe a new ranger.

Yes, you are supposed to get a permit. No, they really do not wnt you to, just know where it is/isn't allowed. They have a map that they give you showing where you can go.

Last spring, I was with my son in the campground area and a new ranger came by.

Asked if I had a permit. I said no, but reiterated my story of stopping by the station annually. (I have lived here for 22 years)

He said it was NO LONGER ALLOWED in the camping area, they area afraid that I will dig up Native American artifacts.

So I no longer donate an extra 5 bucks to the State Park system in Washington, no longer buy the Park Pass.

The funny thing is, they put in a drainage system in the 1970's and the whole campground is sitting on a foot of gravel.

I couldn't detect past that on a good day.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most indian artifacts have no metal in them anyway. How do they figure you were going to find them? ESP?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So it's alright to build a campground on an Indian burial site if your a state park? Lol

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again blame the Archie's

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread