What would you guess metal detecting burns, calorie wise?

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While any outdoor activity is a good thing, I doubt that the slow pace required for swinging a detector, or the kneeling down to dig targets, played a significant roll in your weight loss. Just not that strenuous of exercise. Sounds to me like your diet and will power played the biggest roll. Even in the dead of winter you should be able to find some time to bundle up and go for a walk and get the same benefits. Down here in the south, with the heat, humidity, weeds, and skeeters, it is just now starting to get into detecting weather! Maybe you could just move south for the next six months. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want nothing more than to detect in some of the awesome southern sites out there :P

Igyjastabay

May 28, 2014
The Beach SW FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It burns calories, especially when hunting the woods with all the ducking and diving etc. if your swinging a minelab you will develop one Popeye arm that looks ridiculous.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I'm digging nickle signals and hoping for gold it burns about twice as many calories as when I'm cherry-picking a park.

And if I'm squeezing my way into a vine-choked woods that is rumored to be colonial to jam my coil into the last foot of accessible space (while promising myself I'm coming back with a chain saw) then it burns about twice as many calories as when I digging nickle signals.

RiverRat

Jun 30, 2012
Clearlake, N. California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Garrett Pro Pointer,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey...ANY walking/moving is better than none....sometimes I carry a pedometer on my hunts, and am amazed at how many steps I actually take...even from car to field/hunt site, etc....plus, I'm almost 70 and have arthritis and I'm absolutely positive that the constant bending and movement of detecting is quite helpful in keeping my limbs/joints more limber and strong...whether it helped you lose weight, I couldn't tell you...but I think it's obvious you have to replace it in the winter...

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For me it's not about calories burned, it's about getting out of the chair and not consuming calories.:occasion14:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
200 - 500 calories is my guess. In the winter I would knock off at least 500 calories per day from your daily
calorie intake! Depending on your activity level!

Darrow

Jul 22, 2014
Sherman, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 550, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go on the weightloss. Really is a great, healthy hobby.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will depend on where you hunt, how many targets you dig, temperature, humidity, and how long you hunt. When I walk miles in dry sand at the beach and then climb several hundred feet up the cliff to the car, I KNOW I've burned some serious calories!

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
150-250 calories for the average 180 lbs person for 4 hours. I bike ride 4 times a week 25 miles. After 25 miles i only burn 900 calories I'm 5,11, metal detecting is a very leisure non aerobic activity even when digging heavy. Exception to this is the water hunters! Its still much better than sitting at home watching TV. Congrats on the weight loss!

Igyjastabay

May 28, 2014
The Beach SW FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
150-250 calories for the average 180 lbs person for 4 hours. I bike ride 4 times a week 25 miles. After 25 miles i only burn 900 calories I'm 5,11, metal detecting is a very leisure non aerobic activity even when digging heavy. Exception to this is the water hunters! Its still much better than sitting at home watching TV. Congrats on the weight loss!

Hey, I ride too. I road bike maybe 100 miles a week. Been at it for about 8 years or so. I really enjoy it and it is a great way to burn calories. With riding it all depends on how you maintain your speed, vigorous exercise is considered 15 mph or higher at a constant and this will burn 50 calories per mile. When I ride, I'll do 20 miles at 18 mph. IM burning a 1000 calories or more because I weigh 200lbs

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I ride too. I road bike maybe 100 miles a week. Been at it for about 8 years or so. I really enjoy it and it is a great way to burn calories. With riding it all depends on how you maintain your speed, vigorous exercise is considered 15 mph or higher at a constant and this will burn 50 calories per mile. When I ride, I'll do 20 miles at 18 mph. IM burning a 1000 calories or more because I weigh 200lbs

I average 20 MPH cyclocross bike, continentals slick, 80 plus RPM cadence. Best cardio exercise ever, fun and exciting! No impact on the knees, i still love my metal detecting but its not much exercise :laughing7:

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
Sometimes it's not just the calories you burn but also the calories you are not taking in, sitting on the couch eating chips and dip.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I average 20 MPH cyclocross bike, continentals slick, 80 plus RPM cadence. Best cardio exercise ever, fun and exciting! No impact on the knees, i still love my metal detecting but its not much exercise :laughing7:
Good cardio workout? Sure, until some idiot in a Beamer runs you over! With all the texting and other distractions people have while driving, it's not safe to ride on the streets any more.

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your detector swinging arm will get a workout if you hunt often that's for sure

61309d1407633070-focus-mk3-st250-claiming-417hp-just-fmic-dp-tumblr_kr1hnifzzc1qa6fdio1_500.png

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good cardio workout? Sure, until some idiot in a Beamer runs you over! With all the texting and other distractions people have while driving, it's not safe to ride on the streets any more.

ride in an area with an insulated bike path that's over 5 miles long encircling my community. I do 5 full laps, cars are the least of my concerns :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ride in an area with an insulated bike path that's over 5 miles long encircling my community. I do 5 full laps, cars are the least of my concerns :icon_thumleft:

Well now I'm jealous. I hadn't mentioned it yet, but I do a lot of road bicycling too, but we don't have any good places to ride that aren't on the road, at least not right near me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread