Where to begin?

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
I have a state park around me that does allow, metal detecting. There is history that dates back to 1700's... But the well known historical areas are preserved. So basically it's 3,000 acres of woodland that's been very popular these days.
Of course there must be old homesites, farms, ect.. That have been lost to time... But in 3,000 where would one even begin ? Arial maps only date back to the 60's .. Aside from hiking on foot n hoping to run into a rubble pile or some daffodils where do I find the best place to begin?( also I do not wish to ask the rangers about such places, because the less metal detecting is mentioned , the better!) thanks!

Upvote 0

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find some local hunters, maybe there is a club or something. People who hunt or hike often will know of sites in remote places of the woods that others haven't seen before.

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottom land is the most fertile due to eons of deposited silt and would have been where farmers would have wanted to plant. If you have any rivers or large creeks with adjacent flat areas large enough for fields then that is where I would start looking. Fields need to be relatively flat, while the farm house would likely have been on a rise just outside the bottom flood plain. Also check the maps section of the forum, there are numerous links to antique maps and there may be some sites that have maps for your area.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, find some old maps of the area. It might have trails and old roads shown that are now grown over.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to our local historical society and copied a Map of my area from the 1800's. It's been great - showed old school houses, churches and farms that don't exist today. Been a great resource for me!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottom land is the most fertile due to eons of deposited silt and would have been where farmers would have wanted to plant. If you have any rivers or large creeks with adjacent flat areas large enough for fields then that is where I would start looking. Fields need to be relatively flat, while the farm house would likely have been on a rise just outside the bottom flood plain. Also check the maps section of the forum, there are numerous links to antique maps and there may be some sites that have maps for your area.

what he said....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread