Frequencies

The Silver Pirate

Nov 27, 2011
Ridgeland, MS
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX, DFX, XLT, Whites Prizm IV, Tesoro DeLeon, Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Other
So, I am in the process of hunting for a new machine for myself. I am not too brand loyal. I tend to go for the machine that meets my current need. As I compare side by side, one thing that varies greatly is the frequency. I see them from under 3khz to over 50khz. Can someone give a breakdown on which frequencies are preferred for various hunting profiles? For instance, which is good for coins, relics, gold, etc. My XLT is 6.5khz while the MXT is at 14khz. And the PiratePro is 2 something.

Upvote 0

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Under 10 kHz, coin detecting. 10 - 15 kHz "do-it-all" detectors. Over 15 kHz gold nugget detectors.

Multi-frequency units are good for most anything except prospecting. They are the best choice for salt water.

These are generalities only, not carved in stone. Gold nuggets have been found with multi-frequency detectors and coins with 50 kHz prospecting machines.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your only looking at a small part of the picture if you try to tie metal to frequency. Mineralisation and conductivity are just as important which is why "rules" dont really apply. With say a DFX your told that for silver you should use the lower 2.98 kHz frequency. Come to Britain with its mainly lower mineralisation and smaller/thinner coins and you should be using the higher 14.91 khz. Same applies in parts of the States.

Read the owners guide to the TDI on the web (section on target conductivity). This illustrates how size/bulk affects conductivity and turns the rules around.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Steve and U.K.Brian … Gave you very good and accurate information ..

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You have enough detection power there already, unless you are going cache hunting. In that case you would need a 2 Box or a high end PI like the 2100. Frank five star.png
Hay.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Go look at the post 'My Random Pictures' and rethink your move. He was using an XLT. Still want to replace yours.
Frank five star.png 111-2 de Vinci.jpg PS: I was mistaken. Got a good glimps in later pictures.
. . . . . . .. . . .It is a Whites V3i

Last edited:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is strictly my personal opinion gained over the years I've detected and from reading many threads on forums and info from other sites. If you're going to hunt wet salt sand or along the wet part of ocean beaches, a multi frequency or Pulse induction detector is the best choice. If you're a serious detecting prospector the higher frequencies are desirable. For the typical general purpose machine used for coins, relics etc. I doubt very much that any of us can tell the difference in performance due to the particular frequency, especially in the field. Perhaps in a very controlled experimental situation maybe, but for most typical detecting it's not a major issue in my experience and opinion.
luvsdux

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depth of target will be a factor in frequency selection too. Generally, the lower frequencies have better ground penetration. The type of mineralization will play a part in that too.

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
More companies should go the multi Freq method.I like to have a choice.Every situation is different.Its nice to not have 3 or 4 machines in my truck all the time trying to meet each condition I run into...although I like my detectors :) .Being able to choose a freq on my deus is really really nice.Its the 1st unit Ive owned I can do that with.Very nice.That said if I had one freq to choose I would prob go with 15 .Like steve mentioned its a really good "Do all " freq.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions