going crazy-used mint etrac or new in box Sovereign GT

dfg4240

Jun 26, 2008
Pittsford,NY
Detector(s) used
whites eagle Spectrum. Mxt, Silver umax, Bandido ll umax, X-terra 70, Xterra-705, fisher F5, fisher CZ-70 pro
(3)Tejons, 3-Cibola, Teknetics T2, minelab Safari. Minelab SE Pro, Fisher CZ-3d. (2)el
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been in a couple of forums trying to decide which detector for fresh water beach.
I almost bought the AT pro a couple of times but something keeps stopping me.
One is that a few who owned them say they are not that deep 6" but not much more. but I also see etracs in mint condition going for mid $700's.
I had someone say they bought their wife a sovereign GT but it is still in the box unopened and I can have it for $800.
what would be the good buy.
etrac or GT.
I though for awhile there a few yrs ago that the GT was the top beach detector.
David
I know the GT takes some learning and by the way the one who sold the AT pro said it was great on the beach

Upvote 0

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Me i like the Sovereign i like the BBS … I can not stand the FBS.. And i have used both .. I have been using Sovereigns for 22 years now..

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
Ive never used the sovereign myself.Are there alot of coils to choose from?I had the E-trac for 3 years.Its a fairly deep machine with a few options on how you run it.Plus you can get alot of coils should you want a nice big 17x18 sef coil for some better depth on the beach.You have a tough choice ,Good luck whatever you choose!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sov GT.PNG It can't get any better than this.:thumbsup:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Sandman said, it's hard to beat the SovGT for the beach. It's main drawback is that it isn't waterproof. In that respect, the Excalibur is a better choice. It has very similar electronics and is fully waterproof to 200 feet. Nothing wrong with the E-trac either but it also isn't waterproof, but, it has very good target I.D. and discrimination capabilities. I use mine in wet sand and shallow water however. I tether it so it can't fall into the drink. For fresh water, the AT Pro is a good machine also, and it it waterproof to 10 feet. It's not all that great at a salt water beach, especially with mineralized or black sand. The minelabs handle that with no problem. If you just have the choice between those two, I'd get the E-trac. If you plan on lots of water hunts, I'd sell some of the surplus you seem to have and get an Excalibur or a good P.I. machine.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive heard good things about the Sovereign GT.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread