TankerRobbie

Sep 22, 2013
Duncannon, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT.
Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so i was metal detecting an old foundation tonight..in the dark no less. the foundation in in the river bed of the reservoir, being the water level iis so low i was able to walk right to the site, i found a musket ball an old button and this coin as well as a lot of cool iron pieces. so this coin says america across the top, i see what looks like an 8 towards the bottom and a possible small D on the back side any help is appreciated IMG_20140927_221118675.jpg IMG_20140927_221054415.jpg IMG_20140927_221030277.jpg IMG_20140927_221134317.jpg

Upvote 0

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be a large cent?

That might make sense, based on the size. Looks pretty toasted, almost beyond recognition. You could try putting some hydrogen peroxide in a glass or ceramic bowl, then heating it for 15 seconds, then drop the coin into the warm solution. Take it out after just a few moments and gently rinse with tap water. Not sure if that will help out on this one or not.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd probably drop it in some mineral oil or olive oil if you don't have mineral oil and leave it..... could be a couple weeks or a month just check it every couple days... The oil might bring out enough detail pretty quickly to see what you have leaving it in should make it presentable at some point

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TankerRobbie

Sep 22, 2013
Duncannon, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT.
Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is in fact an early 1800s large cent im in the cleaning process as we speak will update soon , thanks for the responses guys

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find... Careful with it how are you cleaning it?

OP
OP
T

TankerRobbie

Sep 22, 2013
Duncannon, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT.
Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was cleaning with hot peroxide, the coin is too far gone, but still my first find so im very happy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hot peroxide isn't going to come close to taking care of that coin put it in mineral oil and leave it there for a while..all peroxide is going to take off is biological matter... it won't do anything to any of the corrosion on the copper

Last edited:

zdawg3579

Feb 23, 2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I wish I would find a coin haha don't even care if it's old! Good find and happy hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread