Public park permit to detect?

Kazoom123

Sep 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
:BangHead:Apparently I have to get a permit to detect in a public park....not so public when I have to get a permit to detect on land my taxes pay for, but that's for another discussion...Does anyone know about how to obtain a permit for such a thing? The town told me I needed one, but couldn't find out how for me to get one? Almost not worth going for after all this trouble.:BangHead::BangHead:

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It should be posted on their web site or at the government building that controls that area.

Darrow

Jul 22, 2014
Sherman, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 550, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My town requires a permit as well. I got my info from the parks and rec dept. call city hall if your town doesn't have web info. We can only surface hunt, no digging

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Our city and county parks both require permits. I get them every year but have never been asked to show one. Then again I don't give them a reason to. Ours are on the parks website.

OP
OP
Kazoom123

Kazoom123

Sep 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Will look into what everyone's posted thank you very much to all.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My county and a neighboring county require permits for their parks. I have been asked if I had the permit but never asked to show it. I get along with the park employees and make sure I leave no trace of me being there. My permit is $5 a year and I went to the county office to get it. I have no problem with it. It lets them fine the inconsiderate hacks that give us all a bad name.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Get yourself a ww2 repo of a issued nazi ID,hand that to them before you hand the permit to them in case youre ever asked for it:laughing7:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, since you pay hard earned taxes for that park, it stands to reason you would not want to see a bunch of careless noobers diggin the crap out of said park, leaving a hella mess and all, tore up real good, trash left laying all about. Right?. I've seen it a lot. Just feel lucky your park does not have an all out ban on detecting. Apparently, its going to get worse before it gets better at your park. Just get the permit, you'll be good to go for now. But you wont find anything. That park has been beat down seven ways to sunday, for decades, by everyone.

Last edited:

darmentle

Jul 7, 2014
Redding
Detector(s) used
ForsGold+ ,Garrett AT Pro,Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Its sad out of all of the things the government has restrictions for metal detecting.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, since you pay hard earned taxes for that park, it stands to reason you would not want to see a bunch of careless noobers diggin the crap out of said park, leaving a hella mess and all, tore up real good, trash left laying all about. Right?. I've seen it a lot. Just feel lucky your park does not have an all out ban on detecting. Apparently, its going to get worse before it gets better at your park. Just get the permit, you'll be good to go for now. But you wont find anything. That park has been beat down seven ways to sunday, for decades, by everyone.
Having to get a permit only restricts YOU, not the government. It doesn't save you from prosecution, it doesn't prevent the busibodies from complaining, and there is no guarantee the fee won't get jacked up year after year or that it wouldn't be revoked with no explanation. I just hate giving the government more control over my life and pursuits. If others are vandalizing the park, prosecute THEM! and leave me alone!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

ladywreck.jpg

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had to get a permit to detect the beach on a state park during my mini vacation last weekend. It only required me to stop by the ranger station where they gave me a paper to sign and a list of park rules. They only asked that if I find anything of value like a gold ring to check with them to see if it is on their "lost" list. The permit was free and they were very nice about giving it to me. I never saw another soul with a detector all weekend, never had anyone ask to see this permit, and never found anything other than clad and trash :-(

bulrush

Mar 13, 2014
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At many of the parks near me (Michigan) you can metal detect but you can't dig in the ground.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Many municipalities in my area do require metal detecting permits. I surfed around for local areas for Parks & Recreation for e-mail addresses and sent out a question as to permit requirements.

Only one responded, and immediately mailed me the permit (which was pretty restrictive).

That was the lazy way of doing it, but I did get one positive response.

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea in my city you need a permit city codes enforces them our permits state u can metal detect BUT NO DIGGING . They Change The Rule This year. So I hunt early Sunday morning s when no one's around. I And Leave NO Trace I Was there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread