Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi folks. I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times in here, and if'n I may, can I ask it again?:notworthy:

I just got permission to hunt a 160 acre chunk of field and woods. The field-to-woods ratio is probably 20 to 1. A lot more field that woods, but the woods also has many sweet secrets - all according to the landowner, whom I have worked with in the past (a real job!). I'm also pretty close friends with his son. Anyhow, He said there were colonial war musters on one section of his field, and he was talking about when he harrowed on section of a hayfield of his, how it turned up "kinds of junk" like iron and brass, and old coins and stuff that he paid no attention to whatsoever.

By this time I'm beginning to get that quivery feeling in my guts that says I got to get out swinging. :hello2:

So anyway, with the promise of all this in my pocket, I am thinking of getting a new detector. I love my ATP. but I feel like it is inadequate for deep stuff. I get a few decent hits at 10" and that's okay, but I think a deeper-seeking machine would rock my world.

Any advice? What is considered THE deepest-seeking machine to get? I'm in love with the idea of a Deus. Are they as awesome as everyone says? I'm the dig-it-all kind of feller, so bells and whistles dont impress me as much as power and ease-of-use.

What do you kind folks say? I could really use some good advice.

Upvote 0

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
May I suggest you watch the Video I posted above .The 1 hour Hunt with the Nokta Velox One.I dug the tip of an old spoon at roughly 13 to 15 inches.loud and clear.Its On the Video.For the price of these machines you are getting One heck of a detector.Well made with superb support from the company.Ive had great results with both My Nokta Detectors.I have also had very good results with the Makro CF77,Another deep seeker,ive posted a few video's of that on my channel as well.Any question feel free to shoot me a message.Good Luck with Decisions . Jim T

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Higgy, you will get all kinds of responses to this on what's the deepest. now if you plan on just digging it all since there is probably cool relics to be had and coins, hands down for depth but no disc would be a pulse induction. but want disc ? if so and this is my opinion and past experience with buddies, find a old *HOT* 1021 fisher cz3d, get the 10.5 coil, in my opinion with the 10.5 coil there is not any other detector that goes deeper, not even modern ones with more bells and whistles. the deus is an incredible machine which you can read about on NASA toms page, that's mostly what they talk about. the deus does wonders at see through in iron for good targets, and I'd buy one if I could convince The RedHead that I need it and don't merely want it lol.
also the older 12x series fishers hit some incredible depth. also worth mentioning is the new blisstool, the beast detector, from what I've read it gets the job done.

plus the CZ3D control box can be hipmounted so you can swing it forever.

Mike

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was told about this;

ULA-3/Sierra Madre Detector

A great White's metal detector for searching large metal objects at greater depths. Use the optional 15" search coil to reach an impressive 5 foot depth

Features Include:
◦9 1/2" search coil standard for depth.
◦Optional 15" search coil detects metal objects up to 5 feet.
◦Packed with both English and Spanish instruction manuals.
USD $599.95

FIVE FEET DEPTH?

I am in the market for a new MD too. I have the chance to hunt some old Colonial sites so need depth and am prepared to dig everything!
(cant find ANY reviews on the Whites though?)

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
May I suggest you watch the Video I posted above .The 1 hour Hunt with the Nokta Velox One.I dug the tip of an old spoon at roughly 13 to 15 inches.loud and clear.Its On the Video.For the price of these machines you are getting One heck of a detector.Well made with superb support from the company.Ive had great results with both My Nokta Detectors.I have also had very good results with the Makro CF77,Another deep seeker,ive posted a few video's of that on my channel as well.Any question feel free to shoot me a message.Good Luck with Decisions . Jim T

I appreciate your advice, Jim, but thats almost an hour of video to wade through.

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Higgy, you will get all kinds of responses to this on what's the deepest. now if you plan on just digging it all since there is probably cool relics to be had and coins, hands down for depth but no disc would be a pulse induction. but want disc ? if so and this is my opinion and past experience with buddies, find a old *HOT* 1021 fisher cz3d, get the 10.5 coil, in my opinion with the 10.5 coil there is not any other detector that goes deeper, not even modern ones with more bells and whistles. the deus is an incredible machine which you can read about on NASA toms page, that's mostly what they talk about. the deus does wonders at see through in iron for good targets, and I'd buy one if I could convince The RedHead that I need it and don't merely want it lol.
also the older 12x series fishers hit some incredible depth. also worth mentioning is the new blisstool, the beast detector, from what I've read it gets the job done.

plus the CZ3D control box can be hipmounted so you can swing it forever.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. I'm leaning toward a new detector if I can get one that searches deeply. I like the Deus. I dont like the price... yet... haha I guess I dont like the price enough to buy one yet. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was told about this;

ULA-3/Sierra Madre Detector

A great White's metal detector for searching large metal objects at greater depths. Use the optional 15" search coil to reach an impressive 5 foot depth

Features Include:
◦9 1/2" search coil standard for depth.
◦Optional 15" search coil detects metal objects up to 5 feet.
◦Packed with both English and Spanish instruction manuals.
USD $599.95

FIVE FEET DEPTH?

I am in the market for a new MD too. I have the chance to hunt some old Colonial sites so need depth and am prepared to dig everything!
(cant find ANY reviews on the Whites though?)

I went to the White's website and found nothing but coil covers for this machine. Did they discontinue it? I only found about three reviews. One guy loved his. One guy hated his, and said it was worthless and a waste of money, and the third review was a guy who bashed the guy that hated his ULA-3. :dontknow:

Any Sierra Madre owners feel free to chime in please! I see Kellyco has one in stock...

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to the White's website and found nothing but coil covers for this machine. Did they discontinue it? I only found about three reviews. One guy loved his. One guy hated his, and said it was worthless and a waste of money, and the third review was a guy who bashed the guy that hated his ULA-3. :dontknow:

Any Sierra Madre owners feel free to chime in please! I see Kellyco has one in stock...

found this;

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/white-s/285629-sierra-madre.html

I also think it has another name too? one made in yellow for contractors I think??

zdawg3579

Feb 23, 2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in your shoes as well. Although I'm not particularly looking for a new detector, I'd love to have one that searches deeper. I own a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 and it goes down about 8-10 inches in this rock solid Arizona clay! That being said, it may go even deeper given softer soil or possibly things don't go as far down over time in this clay. My point is, any of those detectors people have mentioned are going to be a nice upgrade. Some metal detectors do not follow the saying "you get what you pay for" but rather you get more! Depending on how often the soil on this field is disturbed or if it is in a flood plane depends on how deep you really need to go. At about 20 inches you're gonna pick up everything. I rarely see stuff go deeper than that and if the field is disturbed often, it's unlikely anything will be more than 12 inches. I would just get a larger coil and figure out your settings on your detector to make it properly calibrated and get some cool stuff!! Just my thoughts, happy hunting!
-Zack

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ha!!

Now we are down to NINE feet with a huge 25 inch coil.........

DEALER HOME PAGE

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you already have an ATP, use this as an excuse to get that NEL Attack coil, it's only $220 or so which is much cheaper than a new detector and will give you huge depth and ground coverage compared to what you have now.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you already have an ATP, use this as an excuse to get that NEL Attack coil, it's only $220 or so which is much cheaper than a new detector and will give you huge depth and ground coverage compared to what you have now.

Great idea :thumbsup:

what depth with that coil on a Pro, on say a silver coin do you think?

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dollar for dollar, it sounds like you need a T2. It eats relics alive for sure. If you think you may have silver coins, then I would suggest the equally impressive F75. Down load the manuals for a quick read. Just my 2 cents.

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea :thumbsup:

what depth with that coil on a Pro, on say a silver coin do you think?

To be honest, I haven't used one myself, but it's on the list of things I want. I've been reading a lot of great reviews and have watched videos of people using it and have been impressed so far.

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imagine finding a ringpull at nine feet!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot is going to depend on where you intend to use it.. If you're hunting in the area with a thick coverage of targets you're not going to want a big wide coil that will probably windup having several targets under it at once you'll never get an accurate reading.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A lot is going to depend on where you intend to use it.. If you're hunting in the area with a thick coverage of targets you're not going to want a big wide coil that will probably windup having several targets under it at once you'll never get an accurate reading.

AGREED!!!
luckily its an area where ALL targets will be worth digging :thumbsup:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I think a deeper-seeking machine would rock my world.

Any advice? What is considered THE deepest-seeking machine to get? I'm the dig-it-all kind of feller, so bells and whistles dont impress me as much as power and ease-of-use.

If you dig everything and want more depth, maybe you should consider a PI machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread