Got Permission, but where to start?

Kazoom123

Sep 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I obtained permission, finally, to hunt in my local public parks, but I don't know where to start? I don't want to just start in the middle of a field and never find anything, but I also don't want to just trash lol which I know I will. Does anyone have any tips for me because I can't seem to find anything worth holding onto. Seems everyone has found something at least once interesting so I imagine someone has some tips they can give me so I am not running around wasting time! Cheers! :occasion14:

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on what you have in mind research the history of the area that whatever Park you're hunting happens to be in the history of nearby homes and so forth if you don't care about the age of things and just want to find some decent targets just dig the good solid signals and use discrimination if you have it. ... Doing that turns up old stuff too
You may want to just shoot for coins which to me is about the easiest signal to get used to determining.. I can walk through a pile aluminium scraps and nails and pick coins out of it with my machine.
One of the first things I do when hunting just about any area is look for the areas where the ground is low and more compact and likely to gather objects stay away from what looks like new soil or fill with sod on top ..usually the large grass blades with a thick root system is new stuff try to eyeball areas with sparse grass with some soil visible at first at least that's what I do.
It's just second nature to me now it's hard to try to put it in words I just walk up to an area and try to think of it in layers

Last edited:

JimK

Aug 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for where people gather (now and in the past). If you are just coin shooting, the play area (swings and monkey bars etc) is a good place to start. Also the area around any ball field where people sit to watch of players toss thier stuff when playing. Concession stands, benches, picnic tables all are good starting places. Good luck and have fun

JimK

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just reread my post and like usually is the case with me my mind is thinking of older items.. I don't have much interest in what fell out of someone's pocket at a ball game last Saturday.. But that's just me

OP
OP
Kazoom123

Kazoom123

Sep 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I appreciate everyone's input on this I will def take this all into consideration. My personal goal before this year is up is to find a ring or a silver coin. So, I'm giving my skills the test for a new person at this lol

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Kazoom, in the park, look for and detect around the biggest trees, really old oaks or what not. back in the day before air-conditioning often the coolest place was under big old trees. folks sit or lay down and their change falls out of their pockets. find a old park with old trees, dig up ALL the trash signals around them, and make absolutely sure to recheck the spot where you just dug the trash, that will help you in the long run because the cherry pickers probably already picked those trees! won't be long if you do this before your first silver.

BC

OP
OP
Kazoom123

Kazoom123

Sep 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I am doing this today after work so I will take your suggestions for sure! I will hit up all the old trees and def around the old playgrounds. I'll post anything I find that's worthy!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck..
This might sound odd at first but one of the best tips I could give you is to slow down and relax.. Listen to what your machine is telling you and you'll do fine

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check out historicaerials.com and see what was on the land in the past and what areas that are now in the woods that used to be gathered at. Lazy or uninformed detectorists will not bother doing the research and miss the honey holes that are no longer easily accessible.

nscrcr8z

Jun 4, 2011
cullman al
Detector(s) used
v3i/ xl 6000 pro/AT pro, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check around all your normal things
Trees, hill bottoms, people lose things everywhere

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Kazoom: Isthere a prohibition (a rule ) against metal detecting in your city ? I mean .... such that permission was needed ?

OP
OP
Kazoom123

Kazoom123

Sep 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
No, luckily I do not need any type of permission. And it's all legal!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would start in the middle of the fields....It may not have been a field in the past. I hunt areas now that look like Fields, but when Im out there, i can see depressions of old trees, and usally there is alot of targets around those areas

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I obtained permission, finally, to hunt in my local public parks, but I don't know where to start? I don't want to just start in the middle of a field and never find anything, but I also don't want to just trash lol which I know I will. Does anyone have any tips for me because I can't seem to find anything worth holding onto. Seems everyone has found something at least once interesting so I imagine someone has some tips they can give me so I am not running around wasting time! Cheers! :occasion14:

Sounded like you obtained permission anyway good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions