Anyone in Arizona?

zdawg3579

Feb 23, 2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I live in Tempe Arizona near Papago park and I want to metal detect in locations nearby. Unfortunately, since the area is pretty populated the only empty land is in State Parks. I don't know if I can detect on that land and I have called and emailed the parks to see if I can or if there's a permit, but they won't respond. So here's what I'm getting at: Is there anyone who lives at least 30 minutes away that knows a spot and wants to go detecting? I've chomping at the bit to go out and MD, but I don't know of any nearby spots! I've done my research on the history and everything worth MD is protected :(

Upvote 0

thebadger108

May 2, 2014
Payson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Fortune Hunter!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, I live in Payson. I also have a bounty hunter. Seriously man I would do Papago bro. Find where the areas where picnics and such are. I also hit up encanto when I am down in Phoenix. If your closer to scottsdale. Maybe try Shea Park or maybe even Head out to the Rich Park in Fountain Hills. Last time I was there I pulled 3.00 in change in less than a hour. I am also new to the MDin game.. But i have at least got about 60+ hours on my BHFH.

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150, ACE 350, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You could also research the old neighborhoods in the radius you're willing to go and do some door knocking. Its worked quite well for me. You just never know! Good luck.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Zdawg: do a Google search for "fmdac state by state". Click on the top hit . That brings up a list of the 50 states . You will see that AZ has a "yes". Click on the state name for a more detailed text.

And as you can see ... someone way-back-when there in state answers the 'pressing question " with the "safe answer "

oh joy: you can dig "with a spoon", haha.... Now let's see what happens when you're latest "pressing inquiry" weaves its way through multiple desks too (archies , etc...). Next time : Just go.

OP
OP
Z

zdawg3579

Feb 23, 2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I live in Payson. I also have a bounty hunter. Seriously man I would do Papago bro. Find where the areas where picnics and such are. I also hit up encanto when I am down in Phoenix. If your closer to scottsdale. Maybe try Shea Park or maybe even Head out to the Rich Park in Fountain Hills. Last time I was there I pulled 3.00 in change in less than a hour. I am also new to the MDin game.. But i have at least got about 60+ hours on my BHFH.

Thank you for the response! I found out that all municipal parks are protected...sort of. You can metal detect, but you can't dig...only surface items. Furthermore, you have to take anything you find to the lost and found.

OP
OP
Z

zdawg3579

Feb 23, 2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could also research the old neighborhoods in the radius you're willing to go and do some door knocking. Its worked quite well for me. You just never know! Good luck.

I feel wierd doing that. I guess there's no harm...but I think I'll look for people who have large backyards...no sense in knocking on doors to detect 200 square feet of grass. But thank you for the tip!

OP
OP
Z

zdawg3579

Feb 23, 2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zdawg: do a Google search for "fmdac state by state". Click on the top hit . That brings up a list of the 50 states . You will see that AZ has a "yes". Click on the state name for a more detailed text.

And as you can see ... someone way-back-when there in state answers the 'pressing question " with the "safe answer "

oh joy: you can dig "with a spoon", haha.... Now let's see what happens when you're latest "pressing inquiry" weaves its way through multiple desks too (archies , etc...). Next time : Just go.

Thank you, I will do it as soon as I get in front of a computer (on my phone now).

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNet !

Best of luck hunting. If you can, try to get an upgraded MD and join a club. They can help you with many helpful tricks.

There is a list here (somewhere) that you can find clubs in AZ. And there, you can ask these folks any questions you have.

Good Luck

PS http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/arizona/

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Z

zdawg3579

Feb 23, 2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, sorry for the late response. Awesome, I live right next to papago so we're right near each other. Unfortunately the local parks including papago are illegal to metal detect below the surface (but not on the surface). Tonto national forest is legal (that's where I go) and I know McDowell mountain park is illegal but there are areas where I've never had trouble :P

Last edited by a moderator:

Broken Pick

Aug 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello ZDAWG--Unless posted football fields are great. The older the better. Do some research & find out where football fields used to be. I personally have done very well. Do not dig holes cut plugs. Remove all trash glass etc. Wait till the football season is over before detecting. P.S. be careful of sprinkler systems. Good Luck GOD BLESS Broken Pick

Markmarcus

Nov 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I also live in Payson, and am new to metal detecting. I just got a Garrett Ace 100. Would love any tips that you can offer. I have not yet gone out. My e-mail address is [email protected]
Best,

Mark

Oct 15, 2014
Delaware County, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master
ACE 250
AT Pro
Garrett Pin Pointer
Meaty hand shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Fellas,

So, I was born and raised in Az and now live in PA. I was not into metal detecting when I lived there, when I landed here, I realized I was surrounded by 300 years of solid history. A few years ago I got a metal detector and went to the local park and pulled out a 1928 Standing Liberty and a 1943 Merc about a foot from that. I was hooked! I now run an AT Pro which, if you do really get into it, is a machine you should look at for your next machine if you get one IMO. Anyways, when I fly home I bring my ATP with me and I hike! Arizona is covered with old stage coach roads, the mountains are COVERED with old relics you have to get out and hike. I learned that here, I thought coins would fly out of the ground and I would be drinking cocktails flipping my Draped Bust Large Cents. We are all so late to the game for natural "I bet no one looked here spots" that when we get to a spot, all we can do is hope for what someone missed. BUT, if you get way out, just like here in PA, you will find the spots that "I bet no one looked here" because no one wants to walk that far...here we have huge massive forests, which are cool and nice, unlike cholla, sand and boulders there! But, I'm telling you fellas, I would love to be there now with my machine I think the mountains surrounding Phoenix proper all the way out to the superstitions are loaded, I also understand there are several major stage coach routes that run between camelback, south mountain, superstitions and all the way out to Maricopa. Do any of you remember the old drive in that used to be right off Scottsdale road, just over the river on the east side...I bet its a club now but holy crap that would have been the holy grail to be the first one there. Does anyone hunt the old beeline highway, the salt river between the bus stop and drop off and all the side roads in between. I hope you can even hunt those places, I cant believe you have the rules there like that! That's really lame, here you can go nuts just about anywhere and the Townships are clear in every park that detecting is not prohibited. My dad has a 240 acre ranch that I can get you a permission on, its in the mountains outside of Bowie but it and the mountains that surround it are flush with cool old relics, coins and military items. I am heading down for 10 days over thanksgiving, let me know if you want to get out for a day and I can put together a pretty decent hunt, all you have to do is drive south! good luck happy hunting and hit the hills boys!!

OP
OP
Z

zdawg3579

Feb 23, 2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Fellas,

So, I was born and raised in Az and now live in PA. I was not into metal detecting when I lived there, when I landed here, I realized I was surrounded by 300 years of solid history. A few years ago I got a metal detector and went to the local park and pulled out a 1928 Standing Liberty and a 1943 Merc about a foot from that. I was hooked! I now run an AT Pro which, if you do really get into it, is a machine you should look at for your next machine if you get one IMO. Anyways, when I fly home I bring my ATP with me and I hike! Arizona is covered with old stage coach roads, the mountains are COVERED with old relics you have to get out and hike. I learned that here, I thought coins would fly out of the ground and I would be drinking cocktails flipping my Draped Bust Large Cents. We are all so late to the game for natural "I bet no one looked here spots" that when we get to a spot, all we can do is hope for what someone missed. BUT, if you get way out, just like here in PA, you will find the spots that "I bet no one looked here" because no one wants to walk that far...here we have huge massive forests, which are cool and nice, unlike cholla, sand and boulders there! But, I'm telling you fellas, I would love to be there now with my machine I think the mountains surrounding Phoenix proper all the way out to the superstitions are loaded, I also understand there are several major stage coach routes that run between camelback, south mountain, superstitions and all the way out to Maricopa. Do any of you remember the old drive in that used to be right off Scottsdale road, just over the river on the east side...I bet its a club now but holy crap that would have been the holy grail to be the first one there. Does anyone hunt the old beeline highway, the salt river between the bus stop and drop off and all the side roads in between. I hope you can even hunt those places, I cant believe you have the rules there like that! That's really lame, here you can go nuts just about anywhere and the Townships are clear in every park that detecting is not prohibited. My dad has a 240 acre ranch that I can get you a permission on, its in the mountains outside of Bowie but it and the mountains that surround it are flush with cool old relics, coins and military items. I am heading down for 10 days over thanksgiving, let me know if you want to get out for a day and I can put together a pretty decent hunt, all you have to do is drive south! good luck happy hunting and hit the hills boys!!

Hey, well I regularly hunt by the salt river (south if Bartlett lake) and I live in south scottsdale so I'm about 30 min from the superstition mountains and 20 min from south mountain. I don't think it's legal to hunt south mountain, but I'm not sure about the superstition mountains. Any national forest is legal and the salt river is on Tonto National Forest.

Oct 15, 2014
Delaware County, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master
ACE 250
AT Pro
Garrett Pin Pointer
Meaty hand shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was running through my head of what I remember back in Phoenix and unfortunately, I left in 91 way before the boom and I am certain most of the spots I knew are houses now. I do think the salt river would be good, all the way along the river. There is the one spot where all of the people sit along the river with their cars and what not, to me that would seem like a sweet spot on a Tuesday when minimal people would be there. I grew up at the base of South Mountain so I can think of several places there...do you know where the Marco's De Niza memorial is on the side of south mountain? To and from the memorial are really old paths, I bet they would yield something. Also, I remember as a kid on top of South Mountain where the radio towers are used to be and has been a congregation place for a long time. I realize it might not be legal but its a massive mountain and you would be in and out and no one would know...John McCane can suck it! I would also say some of the older grounds are close to the airport, if you could get permissions for any of those tracts of land along the river close to the airport I bet you could rip some coins out of the ground. I understand the Civil War went as far west as Picacho peak, I am not sure you can hunt there but I bet the base and up into Picacho would also yield some cool stuff. There are several hot springs in south east AZ that I am sure would also yield some cool items. I'm sure this one is off limits but how about Kiwanis Park in Tempe? That is a pretty old spot, I know I fished there in the late 70's early 80's and it has a lot of ground. Good luck my man, let us know if you find a nectar sectar! I am heading out to the woods this afternoon, my buddy who is a deer hunter let me know of an old stone chimney stack he found several miles from no where...I hope its a fresh spot, we literally have a day or 2 left before the ground freezes and more than likely I will have to hang my machine...at least until spring. Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread